I read this article today, and thought I'd pass along some of these ideas. Now that Summer is upon us with a vengence, here's some ways that may help to beat the summer heat:
Ok, a few of these I'm a little dubious about, but what may not work for some people may work for others. Anybody else have any helpful Beat the Heat hints?
- For those of you in a dry heat area, try hanging a damp sheet in the window. The incoming breeze is cooled by the evaporating water.
- Close your curtains and blinds during the day. This can reduce the amount of heat coming into your home by 45%
- Close your fireplace dampers. Open dampers pull the hot air into your house instead of sucking it out.
- Keep windows and doors shut if the temperature is over 77 degrees.
- Keep a spray bottle in your refrigerator and when you start feeling over-heated, give yourself a spritz. An extra hint, spray your wrists first, to cool down your blood flow.
- If the day’s heat is trapped inside your home, put a fan in the window facing outwards. This will help suck out the hot air.
- When taking a shower, turn on the vent fan to alleviate more humid moisture going into your rooms.
- Skip the drying cycle when using your dishwasher and leave the dishes to air dry
- Eating hot stuff (as in spicy) can cool you down. Eating spicy food can make you perspire which in return cools you down as it evaporates.
- Make a cold compress with a sock. Fill it with rice, tie the sock with twine, freeze it for 2 hours before bedtime, slide it between you sheets. Rice retains cold for a long time because it’s dense and starchy.
- Read books that take place in the cold/snow. It can make you feel cooler just thinking about a cooler place.
- And then, my favorite, just like Cousin Orville, place a shallow bowl of ice in front of a fan and sit in front of it
For the full list of 23 beat the heat hints, here’s the site I got them from: 23 Ways to Beat the Heat
Stay cool everyone!