• MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Always watching...

Beat the Heat Hints

I read this article today, and thought I'd pass along some of these ideas. Now that Summer is upon us with a vengence, here's some ways that may help to beat the summer heat:

• For those of you in a dry heat area, try hanging a damp sheet in the window. The incoming breeze is cooled by the evaporating water.
    • Close your curtains and blinds during the day. This can reduce the amount of heat coming into your home by 45%
    • Close your fireplace dampers. Open dampers pull the hot air into your house instead of sucking it out.
    • Keep windows and doors shut if the temperature is over 77 degrees.
    • Keep a spray bottle in your refrigerator and when you start feeling over-heated, give yourself a spritz. An extra hint, spray your wrists first, to cool down your blood flow.
    • If the day’s heat is trapped inside your home, put a fan in the window facing outwards. This will help suck out the hot air.
    • When taking a shower, turn on the vent fan to alleviate more humid moisture going into your rooms.
    • Skip the drying cycle when using your dishwasher and leave the dishes to air dry
    • Eating hot stuff (as in spicy) can cool you down. Eating spicy food can make you perspire which in return cools you down as it evaporates.
    • Make a cold compress with a sock. Fill it with rice, tie the sock with twine, freeze it for 2 hours before bedtime, slide it between you sheets. Rice retains cold for a long time because it’s dense and starchy.
    • Read books that take place in the cold/snow. It can make you feel cooler just thinking about a cooler place.
    • And then, my favorite, just like Cousin Orville, place a shallow bowl of ice in front of a fan and sit in front of it
    Ok, a few of these I'm a little dubious about, but what may not work for some people may work for others. Anybody else have any helpful Beat the Heat hints?

For the full list of 23 beat the heat hints, here’s the site I got them from: 23 Ways to Beat the Heat

Stay cool everyone!
    Last edited by Villains Fan; 08-04-2009 at 08:40 PM.

• Im the fun mommy :)

Re: Beat the Heat Hints

great tips!!
    get a cooling scarf, buy a mister and mist your self, or my favorite, run through the sprinkler with your kids
    -------------------------------------------
    I miss dole whips......... can someone mail me one??

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Jump in the pool!

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Lotta popsicles. Not ice cream, popsicles!

• Goofy

lots of water mmmkay.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • It's knittingknurse now.

Blog Entries

I keep my sunscreen in the fridge. That way when I spritz it on it's cool and feels good (I've been using Neutrogena's spray one, SPF 70.).

Lots of water, cut back on caffeine.

Keep the windows open at night and then shut them during the day. And I don't cook during the day (then again I'm also asleep.)...

• For old time sake

Water, water water. Can't stress that enough. a PP mentioned cut back on the caffeine. SO true. Soda's have so much salt in them, it will just make you more thirsty.

Been thinking about you all out in CA and the horrendous heat you are dealing with
    Katie
    Founding member of the BA I LOVE us!!!
    FIGHT ON!!!!!!

• rainy day girl

Blog Entries

I buy these peppermint wet-wipes from Whole foods. You just rub them on your hands, arms, neck, and face. The slightest breeze activates the mintiness of it, and instantly cools the area. They're a lifesaver in the summer months!
    Looking for the truth about giraffes? http://www.menacinggiraffes.blogspot.com/

• "Always On The Move..."

Quote Originally Posted by sunnygirl View Post
    I buy these peppermint wet-wipes from Whole foods. You just rub them on your hands, arms, neck, and face. The slightest breeze activates the mintiness of it, and instantly cools the area. They're a lifesaver in the summer months!
    I'll have to look for those. At RenFaire we take a few drops of peppermint oil and put it in a bowl of water. Wet a cloth in it and wipe down. Same basic principal, but would be a lot easier (for everyday) with those wipes. Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by migo View Post
    I poop with joy!
    Best Quote...EVER!!!

Member of the Black Cat Owners Association #6

• Mrs. J. Depp

I read in Martha Stewart that using spray water bottles and adding mint leaves to them with water and sticking them in the fridge will give you a nice, cool, minty mist when you spray it on. I'm totally trying it. Yes peppermint oil also rocks because it's got some cooling properties. I use Dr. Bronners all-in-one wash in peppermint because it makes you feel all fresh and tingly.

Facebook me!
    Join in the Disney fun at MyVMK!

• Ravenclaw

Quote Originally Posted by sunnygirl View Post

Just remember to keep it off your eyes, right? Peppermint-scented retinas might not be that pleasant.
    Amnesia used to be my favourite word, but I forgot it.

• rainy day girl

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Exprmnt626 View Post
    Just remember to keep it off your eyes, right? Peppermint-scented retinas might not be that pleasant.
    Looking for the truth about giraffes? http://www.menacinggiraffes.blogspot.com/