• Shablagoo!

The Inaugural Pacific Northwest Mouse Meet Trip Report

Hi everyone. So this last Saturday was the first annual Pacific Northwest Mouse Meet. It was an unofficial Disney convention put on by the local branch of the NFFC, the MountainEars. We don't get these types of events up this way so it was quite the treat. Anyway after playing a small, very small role in the planning, I had to be there.

It was in Lynnwood, WA so a ferry ride was needed.

Hey a Sea Lion.

The sign outside.

The sign inside.

Of course I was one of the first there. Soon the Disney music started playing throughout the building. Just before registration opened the organizer Don Morin arrived to welcome us.

Registration went very smooth. We got lanyards with our names and hometowns on them and a bag with a schedule of events, a small travel first aid kit, bottled water and other things. Children got a bag with all of that plus a pin and other goodies. At 11am Don gave a welcome speech.

Then confetti filled the air and the rope dropped. I headed off to buy and trade for pins. There were 2 pin dealers and I was able to add a few Jessicas to my collection that I did not have. There was also pin trading games. One had you trade a pin and then you could select a small box and you got the pin inside. Another required an LE pin. Once you traded that in you spun a wheel and then could pick a pin from the section the pointed landed on. The last had a large trading board and you gave them a pin. Then you had 30 seconds to pick a pin from the board. I used that to get the rest of the Cast Lanyard Carousel series.

There were several displays of Disneyana.

Train Pins.

Early Mickey Mouse merchandise.

POTC Display.

Tiki Room.

The convention center made special rice krispy treats for us.

The convention floor.

I spent a lot of the day pin trading. I missed the first couple of presentations but made a point to see the last one. Before it started Don announced that D23 had sent each of us copies of the first issue of D23 Magazine. That is 180 copies.

Of course I was there to see Margaret Kerry, the life model for Tinker Bell. Here is a pic of her reading from Peter Pan.

She told stories about TinkerBell and about her life. Not to mention telling some jokes. She is a lot of fun.

Melonballer and TinkerBell

They had a raffle of Disney items for Make a Wish Foundation. After that was over Don was awarded a gift from the MountainEars for all the work he did to organize the convention.

It is signed by Imagineers like Harriet Burns, Alice Davis, X Atencio, and Sam McKim.

Here are some of the pins I bought and traded for.

To see better pictures of the pins, check out the Recent Pin Acquisition thread in the collectibles lounge.

The official Meet pin. Not an Official Disney pin, but nice.

One of the things in the bag was a 15% off coupon for Claim Jumper. I had not been in a long time, so off I went.

Mmmm, PORK!

I had a terrific time. It was a small convention, but I kept busy all day. A few Micechatters made it, like Micksgal and Tinkermonkey. I believe Animal X was there. It was impressed with the variety of activities. They had all sorts of things for the kids to do, like pages to color, word searches, and a hidden Mickey search (with a prize for finding them all). Best of all the Everett Symphony had a few members there who had a story time with Music. Next month they are having a Disney Music Concert.

I am looking forward to next year's event which is going to be bigger and more exciting yet!
    Last edited by Melonballer; 08-17-2009 at 11:42 PM.

• Minion

Re: The Inaugural Pacific Northwest Mouse Meet Trip Report

How fun! Thanks for the pics.
    I want my cake back!

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • has a brand new mindset

We were lucky enough to attend this event and had a fantastic time! For some reason, I didn't take any pictures other than of my 11 year old daughter with Ms. Kerry. It was really sweet - at first my daughter was shy and didn't know what to say to her and then a while later I see them sitting together chatting while Ms. Kerry had her lunch. By the end of the day, my daughter was pretty much always found nearby wherever Ms. Kerry was -- from helping her retrieve the book from the stage after she spoke to finding her sweater and even showing her where the bathrooms were! I can't say enough wonderful things about this legendary woman and how special she made a little girl feel!

As for the event itself - Don did a fantastic job putting it all together. Ok, Don and all the rest of the group (hi Ken!)! The crowd was just the perfect size and the vendors had some amazing variety. I didn't get there in time to hear the first guest speaker and having never been to WDW, didn't have any interest in the 2nd speaker (sorry) but generally, there was enough to do to fill our time. My kids had plenty of fun all afternoon and I didn't spend *that* much money ...

I wish we'd known ahead of time about the pin trading games - we had planned on bringing traders to the event but forgot to grab them. Knowing this would have likely made us sure to have brought them. But we know it now for next August, so at least there is that.
    I love my awesome crazy wonderful friends!!

"Do you remember in kindergarten, how you’d meet a kid,
    then 10 seconds later you’d be playing like you were best friends?"

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Hehe pork. Nice report! It's much smaller than the conventions I usually frequent (LOL) but seems really nice and intimate.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Directly directed

How fun!!

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

What a great start to something I hope grows each year! Its nice to see something like this someplace other than So Cal, where those of you farther away can have a chance to experience the magic! Thanks for sharing your experience!

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • has a brand new mindset

My favorite bit of irony...the vendor I spent all my money at was up here from Garden Grove!
    I love my awesome crazy wonderful friends!!

"Do you remember in kindergarten, how you’d meet a kid,
    then 10 seconds later you’d be playing like you were best friends?"

I was there ! i had both my daughters with me , sorry we couldn't have met up. Was i the only one down from Canada there? My daughter won the Bedtime stories poster auto/Adam Sandler. That made her day.
    It was done on a smaller scale that i had anticipated but had fun regardless and was happy to support the event. More vendors would have been nice but i'm sure it will grow bigger every year. The speakers were good. It's too bad during the second speaker that errrrrr person stood up and took offence to him mentioning Anita Bryant. Did anyone else catch that? Look forward to seeing you next year for sure.

• Infinitized!

Looks like a cool event. Maybe it will one day grow to the size of the almighty SD Comic Con. Ok, maybe not that gargantuan.

I wish I had more money to be able to attend this event.

• Shablagoo!

Sorry we missed you too. I did look around, but I think you may have left by then. You were not the only Canadian as i was chatting with one while looking for you.

Quote Originally Posted by animalx View Post
    I was there ! i had both my daughters with me , sorry we couldn't have met up. Was i the only one down from Canada there? My daughter won the Bedtime stories poster auto/Adam Sandler. That made her day.
    It was done on a smaller scale that i had anticipated but had fun regardless and was happy to support the event. More vendors would have been nice but i'm sure it will grow bigger every year. The speakers were good. It's too bad during the second speaker that errrrrr person stood up and took offence to him mentioning Anita Bryant. Did anyone else catch that? Look forward to seeing you next year for sure.