Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Dusty's Indian Earthquake Adventure

It was an unusually beautiful Saturday morning in Gurgaon, India. Until the shaking began. From the top floor of a 15 story building, I at once knew that something was very wrong. Coming from California, you expect buildings to withstand shaking of a certain magnitude. Here, all bets are off. More often than not, buildings are not built to any sort of standard, and earthquakes are not common.

After 20 seconds of shaking, I grabed my shoes and ran to Dan's room and shouted for him to leave the building. He, in only his underware and laptop. Me, in track pants and shoes ran for the stairs. Only one of the two sets of emergency stairs were unlocked and the stairwell was clogged with people trying to get out. The building continued to shake. I began to worry that this may not be a quake at all. They just don't last this long. I reached the 10th floor, the building STILL shaking. We looked at our watches, the shaking had been going for almost a minute! Terror hits you in a tight stairwell. What is this? Why is the building still shaking? How will I get out?

Needless to say we eventually reached the bottom and stood in a vacant lot waiting with the hundreds of others for some sign of what we experienced and if our building was safe. At this point, I was glad that I had grabbed my shoes. Poor Dan was burning in the sun without his shirt and his feet in the dirty ground without shoes. But he had his laptop. Two weeks ago, Dan had a dream that there was going to be an earthquake and that he would grab his Apple Powerbook. He did.

We finally made our way back up 15 floors, stair by stair. Hearts pounding half from fear and half from being out of shape. The early reports from CNN say that this was a 7.6 centered in Pakastan. But the shaking here was long and bad. I have NEVER felt an earthquake that lasted this long. A minute is a very LONG time when you are fleeing a 15 story building.

I have another week before I can leave India. Another long week.

-The Dusty Sage
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• GO DBACKS!!

Re: Dusty's Indian Earthquake Adventure

Holy Crap Dusty. Thank goodness you are OK. So it actually lasted a minute? Cripes!! Reminds me of the Sylmar quake of 1971. That sucker went on F-O-R-E-V-E-R!

I probly would have grabbed my laptop before my shoes too,

It wasn't me, it was Lisa!

• Miranda Lambert and Me!

WoW!!! Thats flippin' crazy! I hope nothing else bad happens to you on your trip!

BDK
    Listen to me on the radio!

us101country.com Fridays- 9p-12m ET and Saturdays- 7p-10p ET

981thelegend.com Monday-Friday - 12m-6a ET

rock105.net Sundays - 10p-12m ET

You can also visit my DJ blog HERE!
    Also, I have a Myspace- CLICK HERE

• MiceChat Moderator
    • It's SisterP Time!

Blog Entries

Glad your safe and your building held together!

• Senior Minion

That is insane, especially with those buildings the way they are. Glad to hear both of you are ok. I hope there arent anymore for a while.
    1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

• loves a silver lining

Blog Entries

OMG Honey I am so so so so glad that you are okay

Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

• Incognito

Blog Entries

AAAAAA!!! I am SO GLAD you are ok. How scary! They are bad enough in a familiar surrounding but to be in a place like India - eeeek!!! Keep the shoes next to the bed and have an escape route in mind at all times and maybe an extra bottle of water or 2. Mind your head too for falling debris over the next week. And know we're all thinking of you.

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

I haven't slept in over 24 hours. I had to work through the day and night yesterday and didn't get home until 6am. I finally got to sleep around 8am. The earthquake started at 9am. I'm too shaken up (so to speak) to go back to bed.

I've got a small bag packed next to the bed and just added a bottle of water (Thanks ONut). I'll be ready from now on.

Honestly, my heart is still pounding.

-Dusty
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• Know More Than You Should

Well, glad to here you're ok! Get some rest, Dusty, it sounds like you need it!

• Again! Again! Again!

Oh honey!! I'm so glad you are OK. My heart was pounding just reading your story! I'm glad you and Dan got out OK. Do your best to get some sleep. Come back safely please!
    Founding member of the B.A. I LOVE US!!
    FratSor Sister-Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ
    I bring the magic!!!
    "If all my friends were to jump off a bridge, I wouldn't jump with them, I'd be at the bottom to catch them"
    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend DMother
    Girl bonding is just so necessary. It's just as important as "me" time. A good girl bonding session leaves you feeling so refreshed. I think of it as a NEED vs a want. There are just things that you need to talk to other women with. You may have the best relationship in the world with your husband, but there are just times you need your girlfriends. It makes for a healthier and happier you which makes everything else you do better.

• I hate Mondays

I just read about the quake on MSN- it's sounds pretty intense. Be careful, okay? Geesh, with all the tsunami's and quakes and hurricanes, I'm nervously looking over my shoulder for a quartet of horsemen these days.... Just take care of yourselves and get back here soon!

• Parmageddon Jim

I've slept with my shoes next to my bed ever since the Northridge quake. I'm glad you're OK. Hugs.
    Considering the likelihood of aftershocks, how hard is it to move to a safer building? Or, at least, shorter?
    So full of Disney Magic, my eyes are blue.

• Earth Intruder

Yeeeeesh.... glad you are ok Toddler..... if you want to come back early, feel free -- we all miss ya
    I am grateful... grapefruit! ~ Bjork (upon winning Best International Female Artist at the BRIT Awards)

Founding Member of the BA!

• No bacon; sausage.

So glad you're okay...and glad I didn't hear about this until after you posted you were okay, I would have been a wreck knowing you were there!

Stay safe, you know you've got some Jewish praying power coming in your direction from us

• Gay Man

OMG! Wendy posted over on LoT with a link here. I'm so glad you and Dan are OK! I haven't looked at any damage reports or anything yet, I just wanted to send GINORMOUS HUGS to the both of you. Take care and come home as soon as you can. And, bring Dan with you, OK?

And, what's with Dan being psychic? I always thought he was just psycho.

Love you both BIG TIME!

Lisa

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast