Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • It's knittingknurse now.

Blog Entries

How to deal with rude/loud neighbors...

I need help. I work nights and sleep during the day. I like this normally. Problem I have is today I didn't sleep well and it's a theme. Why? My next door neighbors are loud. My bedroom is the closest room to their house (and I can't change it), so everything they do I hear. It's not little stuff either. No. They have 5 kids under the age of 10 and their idea of watching the kids is allowing them to play in the bouncer outside (again right next to my bedroom window), the slip and slide, or whatever other loud outside toy there is. Then there's the dog, their dog barks whenever the kids are playing. Oh and my dog who barks at their dog. Wait it gets better because on top of that the man of the house has to mow his lawn at least twice a week, right when I need to sleep. Then the kids are popular and have friends or friend's parents or ex husbands who honk (usually in the beep-beep-beep-beep melody). Normally I try to get to bed before they wake up and start their days so that way I have at least 7 hours by the time they're in full swing, but I had a school thing today and slept less than 6. Then I tried to lay down again, after the lawn mower and kids, only to be woken up by more horns. I've talked to them about this. My parents have talked to them about this. I think I've talked to them until I was blue in the face only to get "oh yeah, we'll try to be quiet." Only it lasts for maybe an hour. Then when I have to go outside to get the mail or get their toys that have gone over our fence (and they're loud yelling for me to get it), the kids make snide comments about my appearance. I'm in my PJs.

Any ideas? Anything at all? I need sleep! Coffee can only do so much. I'm getting to the point where I'm going to get one of those "kids at play" signs and put "adult sleeping. Shut up" over the lettering.

• Waiting Since 1992

Re: How to deal with rude/loud neighbors...

Is there anyway whatsoever to sleep in a different room? I'm sure you have thought of that. Or, maybe invest in some extrememly powerful earplugs. I know they exist, but you may have to pay.

If you have already discussed it with your neighbors, I doubt you talking to them yet again will change anything unfortch....it sucks, but I think you may have to be the one to change if you want any sleep.

This must be frustrating.

• no flash photography...

IDK about day sleepers, but for night noise we have called the police, the owner of the rental house, whoever does section 8 housing, and child services. The section 8 housing works best. They kick them out real quick after a few complaints. Thankfully the hosue is no longer a rental.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

I've had to deal with some noisy neighbors in the past. When I first moved to FL, the people in the apartment next door... it was quiet during the day, but then their kids would come home from school, and it sounded like a WWF Smackdown over there! We tried talking to them and they acted like nothing was wrong. And the complex office wouldn't do much because they knew we were moving out in a month or two anyway (nice, huh?).

At my current complex, I had a noisy upstairs neighbor that constantly played their awful gangsta rap at full blast at all hours. They'd never answer the door when I knocked (probably couldn't hear it over the noise). Myself and other people in my building would complain to the complex office about it, and for awhile they would only send these people a letter. One night I got fed up and called the cops. That took care of the noise for a week or two, then it started up again. The way the complex office finally got these people was pretty funny. These people got a dog. They'd walk their dog around the pool behind the building and let it do its business and not clean it up. So people were complaining about that, but no one knew who the dog belonged to. I had the office describe the dog and I said, "That's the people upstairs from me!" They were like, "THEY HAVE A DOG?!" Yep, they didn't inform the office they got a dog (to skip out paying a $300 pet deposit). So on top of that, it turned out these people lied about how many people were living in the apartment. The lease just had one person listed and there were at least 3-4 people living there. The complex sent them a letter giving them 30 days to clean up their act or they were going to be evicted. Guess what? They got kicked out! I laughed so hard when I saw the big "EVICTION" notice on their door one day. That was a good day.

The neighbors I've had upstairs since then have been nice and quiet. Sometimes I hear some bumping around up there (not much you can really do about that unless you soundproof the floor/walls), but it's not constant so I don't mind so much. And they're usually at work when I'm home, so it's a nice trade-off.

• mountains beyond mtns.

At least none of you have had to deal with neighbors who are college students who bring their girlfriends over and engage in certain activities.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • It's knittingknurse now.

Blog Entries

No. Thank goodness none of that. And you know what they're doing is totally normal and wouldn't bother me, if I worked during the day. Problem I have is I work at night, and sleep isn't not an option. And I've asked them to keep it down, done the ear plugs and fan thing, but the horn honking and OCD lawn mowing right next to my bedroom window can't be covered by mere ear plugs.

• This is my car, Stitch :)

Rancho Cucamonga, California, United States

Do you mind sleeping with an mp3 player on? I often do that, sleep with my ipod on the lowest level with mellow music. It really does filter out the rest of the noise. There has been countless times when my oldest brother is staying over and my nephew decides to wake up at 5 or 6AM and I don't hear a single thing and they're sleeping in the room across the hall from me.

At least you're not dealing with evil neighbors who keep saying my dog is barking 24/7 when it's the other neighbor's two dogs who are both outdoor dogs when mine is strictly indoors.

• MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Always watching...

It's so frustrating having noisy neighbors! My only suggestion is, like SaraNoH said, get some earplugs.

I recently moved into a new place and between the wildlife, and neighbors who sit on their patio (outside my bedroom window) and talk on the phone half the night, I have found earplugs to be a godsend.

Good luck...

• "Always On The Move..."

I feel everyone's pain. My bedroom is right next to the neighbor's garage and he has a pooltable set up in it. He blasts his music (mariachi- sp) and you can hear every single pool shot being played. This goes on from about noon until 3 - 4 in the morning. (He doesn't work). Then he gets into screaming fights...with himself!!!

I've called the police numerous times (the house is rented and owned by my acupuncturist who is also a friend). The police said any more times and the owner would be fined. So, I tend to sleep on the couch a lot...just to get some sleep. The worse part is the people who are renting are his partner's parents..so it's a catch 22 all the way around.
    Quote Originally Posted by migo View Post
    I poop with joy!
    Best Quote...EVER!!!

Member of the Black Cat Owners Association #6

• formerly PretzelSouls!

I'm sorry you have that problem, I know your pain. My Mom's house use to back up to a neighbor who had 3 kids (ages 5,6,7) and the kids would scream (really loud) and play outside everyday between 2 and 5; but the worst part was that the kids threw toys and branches over into the backyard....we let it ago for a good while and even tried to talk to them - then I resorted to water......one hose and three kids, yup - worked like a charm. They didn't like it, but it made them pipe down.

Maybe you should write them a little note, and then a little "if you don't stop disturbing the peace I will have to resort to [insert resort here]. Thank you for understanding."
    "Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined." -Henry David Thoreau

• mountains beyond mtns.

Quote Originally Posted by Villains Fan View Post
    It's so frustrating having noisy neighbors! My only suggestion is, like SaraNoH said, get some earplugs.

I recently moved into a new place and between the wildlife, and neighbors who sit on their patio (outside my bedroom window) and talk on the phone half the night, I have found earplugs to be a godsend.

Good luck...
    I get a similar combination outside my bedroom window of skunks and neighbors who sit outside, talk, drink and smoke. Fortunately, once I lie down, I'm out cold.

• The one and only

Since it's still summer, there are some neighbors who throw loud and wild parties usually once per weekend (mainly Saturday nights until 6AM sunday morning). The best I could do is call the cops since they wouldn't give me the time of day.
    Ducktales needs to come back strong! One of the greatest TV Series of all time.
    XBOX Live: Mr Shellshocker

• Banned User

White noise! We started sleeping with a fan on when our kids were teens (and our bedroom is on the 2nd floor, above the den!). Now, we are used to it and can't sleep without the fan. We crank it up on high and I don't hear thunderstorms or anything!

• Practically Magic

Blog Entries

I recommend using those soft foam industrial ear plugs.

• I see mouse people

Blog Entries

Unfortunately, since it is during the daytime, they are perfectly within their rights to make this sort of noise. The fact that they are so inconsiderate is sad.

Try earplugs and white noise. There are white noise machines that will make a variety of sounds like rain or surf and they do help your brain focus on that constant sound and filter out the rest. An aquarium or fish bowl with an air pump and bubbler attachment works really well too.

One other thing...when the kids come to your door and ask for their toys, simply tell them you sleep during the day and will return them at your convenience when you are dressed and ready to go out. Sometimes a few of these incidents and they stop tossing their toys over the fence.

One thing you can look forward to: I assume school will be starting soon?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast