Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Mickey and 'Key

Blog Entries

When a job listing asks for a salary requirement...

What do you say? I think that you used to say "negotiable" or somesuch. Is that still the way to answer that question, when you're applying?
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Re: When a job listing asks for a salary requirement...

Good question.

I think "negotiable" is a good way of putting it. I'm sure others have some better ideas which I would be curious to know too.

Also, on occasion I have filled out on-line applications and it won't let you go forward until you have answered your salary range. What do you do then?

• Still wants to be a cat!

Put down what you think you are worth for doing the job you are applying for....just a thought.
    Mom, remember, it's not what a person is like on the outside that counts,
    it's what they are like in their HEART!

- Wolfette

• MiceChat Moderator
    • I'm back! Sorta...

If you can, always put down negotiable.

If you have to put one down, don't waste the time of the interviewers. Put down the lowest, realistic range you can think of. And then, if granted an interview, bring it up in the Q & A section at the end.

Peace,
    Roo
    husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend

• rainy day girl

Blog Entries

My suggestion is putting down a realistic salary figure based on your experience, performance, and the average salary of others in that position. No sense not giving them a number.

I used to use "negotiable" until I found myself having to turn down positions that figured negotiable meant minimum wage (give or take a quarter).
    Looking for the truth about giraffes? http://www.menacinggiraffes.blogspot.com/

• Circle of Ancients

There are also MANY sites out there where you can find existing salary ranges for specific jobs in specific area's and they take into consideration your experience level.

This also helps with salary renegotiation's in your current position.

•   
    • At one w/ our Disneyness

Don't put down negotiable -- I see that answer on an app, I round file the app. If the queston is asked it's because the potential employer wants to weed out applicants before the interview process. Answer with a # that is 10% lower than the industry standard for your area. If you end up getting a job offer, renegotiate what you really want/need at that time.
    Just countin' the days til the next visit!

• MiceChat Moderator
    • I'm back! Sorta...

Strangely, when I interview applicants, I tend to look for negotiable. Go figure. Looks like we have a cunundrum.

Peace,
    Roo
    husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

They ask that question because they want to pay as little as possible and they'll weed out anyone who they think put down a number that's too high.

• Ravenclaw

The way I see it, the employer is giving the applicant an opportunity to assess their own self-worth. I look at applications with salary requirements and the candidates that show the most promise are usually those who have the confidence to tell you that they know what they deserve the amount they write down.
    Amnesia used to be my favourite word, but I forgot it.

• I see mouse people

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by aimster View Post
    They ask that question because they want to pay as little as possible and they'll weed out anyone who they think put down a number that's too high.
    True. The reverse is also true...if an employer is only willing to pay X amount in salary, there is no point in wasting their time or yours on interviews if you are expecting significantly more than they will pay.

The previous advice is probably the best. Estimate what you think you're worth, what the position usually pays, and what is the minimum you can afford to earn. Then decide how much you really want that particular job. You'll probably have a good idea of what you want to fill in at that point.

Good luck

• MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Always watching...

I would say to list what you would expect to make. My guess is that companies are getting so many applicants for jobs, this is the first way to weed out people out of the price range they are willing to pay.

Listing "negotiable" leaves this up to everyone's interpretation...it could mean anything from the $8/hr they are looking for, to the $20 you are expecting to receive. Listing your expectations (you may even want to put a range, but be prepared to be offered the min of your range) will help avoid wasting yours and the employers time.

I wish more employers did this. I have been to interviews where they were already to hire me, only to find out, I made twice what they were willing to pay.

• Fastest Man Alive

Quote Originally Posted by Villains Fan View Post
    I would say to list what you would expect to make. My guess is that companies are getting so many applicants for jobs, this is the first way to weed out people out of the price range they are willing to pay.

Listing "negotiable" leaves this up to everyone's interpretation...it could mean anything from the $8/hr they are looking for, to the $20 you are expecting to receive. Listing your expectations (you may even want to put a range, but be prepared to be offered the min of your range) will help avoid wasting yours and the employers time.

I wish more employers did this. I have been to interviews where they were already to hire me, only to find out, I made twice what they were willing to pay.
    I agree. There are large differences in pay for even similar jobs, and employers know this. You need to put out a minimum range, otherwise if the job won't pay enough for your basic needs, there really is no point. I wouldn't worry about low-balling the number either, it won't lock you in to a lower pay grade when it comes negotiations time.
    I know when I used to handle interviews, that info was important. An employee has their needs, and even if they are desperate for work and will accept anything, it won't last for long. There is no sense on hiring someone and spending alot of money to train them, if they are unable to continue working (can't afford to, will be instantly looking for another job). Same reason why employers are hesitant against folks who are 'over-qualified'.
    So, be realistic state something on the low end of what you expect to make, but nothing that would create a hardship for you.
    "If we cut the budget are you going to be the one standing at the exit explaining to guests why the ride they just rode is a piece of crap?" - - John Lasseter

• Ravenclaw

You could also list what your previous employers paid if you're in a similar line of work, so it shows the prospective employer what you are used to making.
    Amnesia used to be my favourite word, but I forgot it.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Mickey and 'Key

Blog Entries

Wow, thanks for all the replies!
    I def. know the range for the job and what I would need to be making to make it worth it. I think I will low ball it a little bit and see what happens if I get to the interview stage.

The variety of replies is really interesting too. I guess there really isn't a standard reply in this economy!
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast