Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

The End Of A Major Era in Los Angeles Radio

40-plus years of "you give us 22 minutes, we'll give you the world" officially comes to an end tomorrow at 980 KFWB...the new home of Dr. Laura Schlessinger in LA.

There was a time when the LA radio market could support two all-news stations. But no longer, especially with the stations housed right next to each other now in facilities in a high rise on the Miracle Mile.

This, from the FOX News site:

A fabled radio station with a four-decade tradition of 20-minute newscasts enters a new era Tuesday, when KFWB delivers an 18-hour dose of advise from radio maven Laura Schlessinger.

The station is transitioning from an all-news format to a news-talk schedule that may put an end to one of the longest-running slogans in Los Angeles broadcast history: "you give us 22 minutes and we'll give you the world."

KFWB plans to ditch the all-news format and leave that niche to its CBS corporate sister, KNX . The two stations had slugged it out for decades until Westinghouse Broadcasting, then the owner of KFWB, bought the CBS radio stations in the 1990s and the companies were merged back together.
    Full story here.

In the past, I've done sports and traffic for both stations. Since KNX has a much stronger signal, it was determined that they'd stay all news (although good luck finding an all-news station now on Saturday or Sunday when KNX has a three hour food talk block each day).

The end of an era, indeed.

Thoughts?
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Circle of Ancients

Re: The End Of A Major Era in Los Angeles Radio

KNX has always been our "Traffic/News" station when were driving, so I don't think it's going to effect us much. The only time we'd really switch to KFWB was when we had just missed the traffic report on KNX.

Having "Dr. Laura" on KFWB means it's getting taken off our pre-set. Don't want to accidentally stumble upon her.

I really wish they'd move "food news" to KFWB. I find Melinda Lee very annoying.

• Winter in Oceanside...

Any mention of Dr. Laura just makes my skin crawl. I am sorry this station has stooped so low.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PrincessY View Post
    Any mention of Dr. Laura just makes my skin crawl. I am sorry this station has stooped so low.
    I concur. he may be.."just her kids Mom" or whatever she says, but she is a royal pain, on - and from what I've heard - off the air, too.

She got her start in radio back in the 70's, when she used to guest with a legendary DJ named Bill Ballance. Dr. Toni Grant got her start the same way.

Laura later did a show every Sunday night, at the old KWIZ 1480 in Santa Ana - with studios (as I recall) just off of the fifth hole at the Willowick Golf Course. This would have been in the late 70's.

A bit of historical reference.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• "Always On The Move..."

Definitely an end of an era. When I lived in SoCal, KFWB was always my "go to" station.
    Quote Originally Posted by migo View Post
    I poop with joy!
    Best Quote...EVER!!!

Member of the Black Cat Owners Association #6

• MC State Comptroller

Barry,
    I am heartbroken! From birth i listened to KFWB news 98. I know it's hard to believe but since my crib was in my parents room and that's what they had on the clock radio it used to lull me to sleep. When i was a kid and would get scared, i would sneak into their room and sleep on the floor and let it calm me to sleep. All the big news stories i remember hearing on KFWB. The Night stalker case alone seemed so much more scarier on the radio then on the tv. I have faint memories of hearing about the deaths of Andy Kaufman, John Belushi, Jackie Gleason and a host of others. I got the Lakers and Dodgers score from them. When my family moved to Arizona i used to try to tune it in at night and sometimes it would come through. Whenever we went out to LA i would always listen to it more than KROq or KERTH 101.

This is a sad day to me and a big end of an era. I already miss it. This is one of the casualties of poor economic times. Nostalgia and history tend to be the first things go out the window.

Barry, thanks for letting me know. And i wonder if you may have lulled me to sleep on more than one occasion!

P.S. I would rather listen to dead air than Dr. Laura!
    "Here you leave Today and enter the world of Yesterday, Tomorrow and Bankruptcy!"

Maybe for once, someone will call me "Sir" without saying, "You're making a scene!"

Arizona Cardinals 2008 NFC Champions

• Banned User

Barry---I hope this doesn't mean you are out of a job? (Or was it in the past that you worked there.) I don't live in the area, but, hate to see such things coming to an end after so many decades.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AlohaStitch View Post
    Definitely an end of an era. When I lived in SoCal, KFWB was always my "go to" station.
    As the article indicates, KNX and KFWB were big competitors. Both went all-news in 1968. Sometime in the mid-90's, probably after the dreadful de-regulation of 1995, Infinity/CBS bought Westinghouse, and both competed as different "brands" under the same corporate umbrella.

Even when both stations left their legendary Hollywood studios and merged into the fourth floor (I think) of the building on Wilshire, the staffs were highly competitive (if friendly in the break room).

In Los Angeles and Orange County proper, KFWB usually beat KNX in the ratings. KNX would get a bigger overall rating because it's 50,000 watt signal could be heard over a much wider range - over most of the Western states, at night.

Quote Originally Posted by sgtpeper View Post
    Barry,
    I am heartbroken! From birth i listened to KFWB news 98.

Barry, thanks for letting me know. And i wonder if you may have lulled me to sleep on more than one occasion!
    Some of my talk shows on other stations in the past were said to have that effect.

Actually, I worked for KFWB as a per diem night and weekend fill-in sports guy between 1998 and 2000. When Joe Cala or Bret Lewis went on vacation, I sometimes got the gig, that sort of thing.

Quote Originally Posted by I Heart Disneyland View Post
    Barry---I hope this doesn't mean you are out of a job? (Or was it in the past that you worked there.)
    No...stopped at 'WB in 2000...then did weekend sports for a year on KNX-FM (better known as Classic Rock Arrow 93)

Then from '01-05 I was a permanent weekend and fill-in guy at KNX. All the while I was working fulltime either for KVEN-KHAY up here, and/or MetroNetworks traffic reporting service in LA (the glamor of radio. I often worked night shift at one LA gig, slept on the floor of a studio, and went to another place for a morning shift). Then came illness though, and clinical depression, and now no jobs to speak of...

By the way, sgtpeper - I grew up from infancy, with (like the news jingle)...K-F-Double-U-Beee...Channel 98! Color Radio!

You see, in the 50's and early 60's, KFWB was the rock and roll station in town, with KRLA 11-10 a distant second.

There were the KFW-B-each Boys. Followed later, of course, by the KFW-B-eatles. You can imagine what a thrill it was for me, all those many years later, to broadcast on that same frequency.

A couple of years later, 93 (AM) KHJ came along and blew everybody else out of the water, and the rest, as they say, is history.

Sorry for the long post. See what happens when you get me started?
    Last edited by Radiobarry; 09-07-2009 at 07:31 PM.

• Hug a Billy

The Golden Horseshoe/Big Thunder Jamboree

Fascinating walk down memory lane there Barry. I remember all those rock n roll stations in the 60's too.

I'm also sad to see KFWB leave the news field. But like many, in the car I would tune in to hear traffic reports. Frankly, I believe the news coverage on the radio has seriously deteriorated in the last few years. Not that long ago KNX was like a joke the way they covered (if you want to call it that) the news. Lately, they've gotten a little better, but not by much. We usually listen to the 6 AM network news to wake up, then the local headlines, traffic and weather and then turn it off.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Wendygirl View Post
    Fascinating walk down memory lane there Barry. I remember all those rock n roll stations in the 60's too.

I'm also sad to see KFWB leave the news field. But like many, in the car I would tune in to hear traffic reports. Frankly, I believe the news coverage on the radio has seriously deteriorated in the last few years. Not that long ago KNX was like a joke the way they covered (if you want to call it that) the news. Lately, they've gotten a little better, but not by much. We usually listen to the 6 AM network news to wake up, then the local headlines, traffic and weather and then turn it off.
    I know what you're saying, WG.

But as a sports guy, and a friend of Randy Kerdoon, can't ya leave it on long enough to hear his sports report?

I can give you some insights into what happened with KNX, here if you like or by PM so as not to bore others.

• MC State Comptroller

Quote Originally Posted by Radiobarry
    By the way, sgtpeper - I grew up from infancy, with (like the news jingle)...K-F-Double-U-Beee...Channel 98! Color Radio!
    You see, in the 50's and early 60's, KFWB was the rock and roll station in town, with KRLA 11-10 a distant second.
    Barry,
    I remember doing a report on the Day the music died in 5th grade and being surprised that KFWB was a rock n' roll station. I had only knew them as news!

I remember the "All news . . .All the time! (Sung) KFWB News 98! You give us 22 minutes we give you the world!" Did you know the reason it was 22 minutes? Because at the time they went all news the average commute in LA was 22 minutes. Imagine if they did that now. . . you give us an hour, hour and half tops, we'll give you some of the world!

Their slogan was right up there with "From the desert to the sea to all of Southern California. . ." that Jerry Dunphy used to sign on to KABC "Eyewitness News" as two memorable parts of my childhood. Both will be and already are missed!
    "Here you leave Today and enter the world of Yesterday, Tomorrow and Bankruptcy!"

Maybe for once, someone will call me "Sir" without saying, "You're making a scene!"

Arizona Cardinals 2008 NFC Champions

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Don't diss my bonnet

the location of my profile picture is Knott's in 1972, i'm about 10 months old.

i've always been a KNX girl, from the old time radio programs to traffic every 10mins, its like home sweet home to me when we're in socal

and the best part is, on some nights we get KNX all the way up here in Reno! its so neat to hear it up here from time to time
    Will there be screams when the sun sets,
    -=Is It October Yet?=-

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkermonkey
    elly is the ultimate nerdy girl. But she makes it sexy
    Quote Originally Posted by pratt55
    Elly is adorkable.

•   
    • Main Street VIPs

Growing up in The OC, for me it was always KHJ for music, KNX for news and KFI for Lohman and Barkey in the morning. Now that we have Sirius in both cars, the only time I turn to AM radio is for help with insomnia. Either KNX or Coast to Coast on KFI will usually do the trick.
    Rick

• 60 Dazzling Years!

That's too bad. I listen to all the news radio stations as I commute to LA from the OC and back. It's always nice to have more than once choice ... Especially if the commute is long.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sgtpeper View Post

I remember the "All news . . .All the time! (Sung) KFWB News 98! You give us 22 minutes we give you the world!" Did you know the reason it was 22 minutes? Because at the time they went all news the average commute in LA was 22 minutes.
    That's true.

Also, if you happened to be keeping an Arbitron ratings diary, they would theoretically get credit for at two quarter hours of listening from you - one, plus seven minutes of another for which they'd get credit for the full quarter-hour...pretty important stuff.

For awhile, they did away with the 22 minutes thing. The listener demand for it to come back was overwhelming. And since "news wire tickers" had long since left the scene by the late 90's, they got rid of the effect tied to the anchor's mike, only to bring that back, too.

I also used to think that if you listened for 22 minutes, you'd get the whole package regardless of when you tuned in. But if you tuned in at 22 past and tuned out at 44 past, for example...guess what you'd miss with sports at :15 and :45...at least you'd get the headline story with the sweep at :40.

Oh well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast