Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• Happy Memories

Pet issues... doing the right thing???

So here's the story... a little over a year ago, while out walking the dog we found a scrawny little stray kitten wandering the street in the rain. We had only recently finally been able to get rid of the evil, mean cat that my ex had left behind at my house when she left me and were happy to be cat free and starting anew with our wonderful dog. We have big hearts though, so we took in the poor kitty. It seemed to be extremely young and no doubt would have not survived had we not intervened. The plan was to take it in long enough to nurse it back to good health and try to find it a home. It was a small, cute kitty so that shouldn't be difficult right? wrong. no one wanted to take it. Unfortunately another friend's cat had recently given birth so anyone we knew who was willing to take a new kitten already had one. So he stayed with us.

We made sure it had all it's shots, and a good home with us. Our dog even enjoyed playing with the little guy. My fiance is a dog person and absolutely loathes cats most of the time, but this one was so cute and loving that she became attached. He had his issues though. He has a tendencay to wander the house whining for no apparent reason (makes me nuts!). he only uses the litter box about 25% of the time and uses the laundry room floor the rest of the time. It's impossible to keep things clean because he sheds like crazy (and we have black furniture!). And he has a habit of freaking out for unknown reasons, bolting all over the house, sometimes knocking things over and breaking them. These are all the reasons I didn't care much for the cat, and never got all that attached. my fiance however did get attached because he would curl up and sleep with her, and because it was cute to watch him play with the much larger dog.

She finally gave in today and got rid of him. It has become beyond apparent that we'll never find a friend willing to take him, so she finally had to take him to a shelter. It's a no kill shelter thankfully, but it's still a shelter. Not exactly the same as giving him to friend whose home we know he will be comfortable in. She called me this afternoon and caught me offgaurd. I knew she was actively trying to do something about the situation, but I didn't expect the phone call I recieved. She was on her way to the sheler and the cat was crying in the background. He was making her feel very guilty and she was sobbing in my ear for several minutes before I realized what she was doing. She's very upset and feeling guilty, but at the same time she knows we had no choice. Hearing her so upset was making me feel guilty also. I hate hearing her like that. I almost told her to turn around and go back home, but I know that ultimately, for our home, it's best for him not to be there.

I also feel bad for the dog as I'm sure he'll know that his little buddy isn't around anymore, but won't understand why. I'm hoping he doesn't get all mopey and depressed (he does that sometimes). I have a feeling he'll soon have a new friend in the form of a new puppy that I'll be guilted into taking. It's one of the reasons my fiance finally did something about the cat. She knows someone who just had puppies. She wants one, but up until now I've said no to any more animals in the house. No cat means we now have a vacancy.

Anyway.... sorry for the novel guys, but this is my life this afternoon. Have we done the right thing? Should i feel bad? I mean, i do feel bad about my fiance being so upset, but should I feel worse about sending the cat to a shelter? I'm all sorts of confused at the moment. As much as I disliked the little critter, i'm sure i'll still feel the noticable absense in the house.

just had to get it off my chest....

• insufferable know-it-all

Re: Pet issues... doing the right thing???

That sucks.

How about taking her to a (kill ) shelter and getting a puppy? That'll be good for her AND your lonely dog. Plus she'll feel like kitty went to a no-kill shelter in order to save a doggy's life.

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• /sigh

I think what you did is fine. As kittens go, he sounds like a normal kitty, maybe a bit loony from the storm, but normal rambuncious little kitty. But, you need to do what's best for the kitty and for your household. A no-kill shelter is a great place to start. And since you gave him all the vacs and shots, he will be picked up fast by someone who is actively looking and really wants to have a cat.
    Marge: Barnacle Bill's Home Pregnancy Test? Homer, shouldn't we have gone with a better-known brand?
    Homer: But Marge, this one came with a corn-cob pipe!
    Marge: [reading from the test box] "Ahoy, Maties! If the water turns blue, a baby for you! If purple ye see, no baby thar be!"
    Homer: So, which is it? Blue or purple?
    Marge: Pink.
    Homer: D'oh!
    Marge: "If ye test should fail, to a doctor set sail!"

• Happy Memories

if we get a puppy we already know where it is coming from. She works with a woman whose dog just gave birth this week. She's been begging me for several weeks already to get take one of the puppies when they are old enough. I've been resistent to the idea, but now I'm sure I'll be giving in.

• I'm your huckleberry.

XharryB, I'm so sorry for the tough situation you and your fiance are in. Pets are wonderful, horrible, lovely, pain-in-the-@$$ things.

If you had asked before he went to the shelter, I would have suggested getting the cat fixed. a LOT of the behaviors you mentioned might have disappeared had he been fixed.

I'm glad your fiance found a no-kill shelter. It does sound like you are all (dog included) more attached to the cat than perhaps you'd like to admit. If your whole house hold is upset over the absence of the cat, you might want to rescue him for a second time in his life and try life with him fixed.

Oh, and there are some good shampoos, lotions, etc. that can minimize shedding.

I hope this helps a little!

Okay, so what you do is tonight, when she gets home, you tell her to call up the lady so you guys can go over there and let her pick out her future puppy

Your fiancee is very strong.

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

I got my cat from a high killed shelter. I knew his days were numbered because he was up for adoption for about a week. They believe people did not want him because he was a black cat. It turns out I love black cats so we got the adorable creature. he is now over one year old.

Long as we're on the topic... I wonder how much people know about shelters.

I'm SO glad you took kitty to a no-kill shelter. If it had been a kill shelter I'd have told you to go back and get it post-haste. But you did the right thing, finding the right place to take the kitty.

Just so folks know, NEVER take an animal to a kill shelter. Animals brought to kill shelters by their owners do NOT get a second chance at a home. Some shelters only give brought-in animals 24 hours for their owners to reconsider, whereas found animals will get 3 days to a week. I know that the shelters in Ventura County will send off brought-in animals the very next day (minus the cute ones they think can get adopted if they have room), because my brother tried for weeks to find homes for his dogs when he had no choice but to spend 2 months in another state for work training (he'd used up favors for his 2 original dogs, getting someone to keep them for him, but he had two of their inbred offspring plus my other brother's terrific lab). Luckily, my mom felt bad for the lab and ran out and got her, because all three were set to be put down the next day - and the lab ended up being pregnant with 15 puppies! I kept the runt, and he was a terrific dog.

But seriously, don't ever take your own pets to a kill shelter, they do NOT get a second chance!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Good point Morri. Only 30 percent of the animals at the nearby kill shelter get adopted out. Old animals, disabled animals, and black furred animals (no matter what age) usually never get adopted out.

But in order to prevent this.....

Spay and Neuter while they are still young!!!

• Happy Memories

Quote Originally Posted by a_hyperbole
    XharryB, I'm so sorry for the tough situation you and your fiance are in. Pets are wonderful, horrible, lovely, pain-in-the-@$$ things.

If you had asked before he went to the shelter, I would have suggested getting the cat fixed. a LOT of the behaviors you mentioned might have disappeared had he been fixed.

I'm glad your fiance found a no-kill shelter. It does sound like you are all (dog included) more attached to the cat than perhaps you'd like to admit. If your whole house hold is upset over the absence of the cat, you might want to rescue him for a second time in his life and try life with him fixed.

Oh, and there are some good shampoos, lotions, etc. that can minimize shedding.

I hope this helps a little!
    Thanks for the advice. he actually was fixed. One of the many things we took care of among the shots and such. He was also chipped which is why the shelter was willing to accept him. Everything we did for him was through the humane society so he is already registered with them. I wish i had known sooner about the shampoos though, that would have saved a heck of a lot of cleaning over the last year if they actually worked!

I'm not so much upset about the cat as i am upset that i can't be there to comfort my fiance when she needs it most. I'm stuck at work and have to go to my second job when i leave here. Won't be getting home til somewhere around 10pm unfortunately.

• Winter in Oceanside...

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Wrassler
    It turns out I love black cats so we got the adorable creature.
    I love black cats! I am on my 4th one and have adored each one of them. And my beloved childhood dog was also black. Why doesn't anyone want a black animal?

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PrincessY
    I love black cats! I am on my 4th one and have adored each one of them. And my beloved childhood dog was also black. Why doesn't anyone want a black animal?
    I think it is that whole black cats bring evil halloween myth to be honest.

• I'm your huckleberry.

Quote Originally Posted by Xharryb
    Thanks for the advice. he actually was fixed. One of the many things we took care of among the shots and such. He was also chipped which is why the shelter was willing to accept him. Everything we did for him was through the humane society so he is already registered with them. I wish i had known sooner about the shampoos though, that would have saved a heck of a lot of cleaning over the last year if they actually worked!

I'm not so much upset about the cat as i am upset that i can't be there to comfort my fiance when she needs it most. I'm stuck at work and have to go to my second job when i leave here. Won't be getting home til somewhere around 10pm unfortunately.

Wow, he was fixed and was still all crazy?!?! That usually helps. Sounds like you got a pretty sprited creature!

I'm sure your fiance knows how much you care, and that will help her feel better.

Morrigoon, your story almost made me cry.

I don't know why people have such a problem with black furred animals. 5 years ago my daughter and I went to the local shelter to look for a kitten for her (we always adopt from a shelter). Somehow we wound up in the puppy room and saw the sweetest puppy with adorable floppy ears like a beagle. Unfortunately it had an injury to its eye called "cherry eye", it was not attractive. In chatting with one of the kennel attendants I found out that the puppy was going to be put down the next day because no one would adopt it because of its eye. I immediately got on my cell phone, called our regular vet and found out it would only cost $75 to have the surgery to fix the puppy's eye. Needless to say, she went home with us! She's the sweetest dog I've ever had!

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Wrassler
    I think it is that whole black cats bring evil halloween myth to be honest.
    And on the flip side, owners of black animals usually have to be careful to keep their pets inside in the couple days leading up to and including Halloween, to protect them from people who would seek to do bad things to them (troubled kids playing at satanism, that kind of thing).

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by a_hyperbole
    Wow, he was fixed and was still all crazy?!?! That usually helps. Sounds like you got a pretty sprited creature!

I'm sure your fiance knows how much you care, and that will help her feel better.

Morrigoon, your story almost made me cry.

I don't know why people have such a problem with black furred animals. 5 years ago my daughter and I went to the local shelter to look for a kitten for her (we always adopt from a shelter). Somehow we wound up in the puppy room and saw the sweetest puppy with adorable floppy ears like a beagle. Unfortunately it had an injury to its eye called "cherry eye", it was not attractive. In chatting with one of the kennel attendants I found out that the puppy was going to be put down the next day because no one would adopt it because of its eye. I immediately got on my cell phone, called our regular vet and found out it would only cost $75 to have the surgery to fix the puppy's eye. Needless to say, she went home with us! She's the sweetest dog I've ever had!
    That is great!!! I am so so so so so happy that you adopted the pup even though it had a temporary "handicap." It just feels GREAT adopting animals you know will not make it.

My cat was found in the mountains when the shelter found him.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast