Thread: People are rude

• I'm your huckleberry.

People are rude

I read this article on ABC News about a study showing people are getting ruder and ruder. I say that was a no-brainer!!

What do you all think?

I was particularly upset by this comment:

In some cases, the harried single parent has replaced the traditional nuclear family and there's little time to teach the basics of polite living, let alone how to hold a knife and fork, according to Post.
    As a single parent I say that's bull !!!! I hate when people categorize single parents like that. It doesn't take ANY time to teach your child good manners!! All you have to do is model them. I've been a single parent since I was 19 and my daughter is one of the most polite children you'll meet. She says please, and thank you, and knows to put her napkin in her lap at a resturant!!!! Of course I'm biased, but she really is polite, people comment on it all the time.

Grrrrr.... stuff like this makes me

• e komo mai

Re: People are rude

I think that's a cop-out to blame the single parent.
    I think it has more to do with the 'get it right away with a click' internet attitude that's out there right now. AND the fact that people spend a lot of time on the internet and less time actually speaking to people... you know... like I'm doing now...

• insufferable know-it-all

I think it has a lot more to do with the "Me Generaton" of the 70's and early 80's, who set a bad example for their kids, who are now also adults and breeding.

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• Hello there

Blog Entries

yes- people are rude. No one cares anymore. I see it everyday and I don't think all these kids have single parents. I mean I know the divorce rate is high these days and not everyone rushes to the alter but not everyone's single parent.
    Than there is my 4 yr old nephew. Who is about the politest child I know. He says excuse me when he needs to interrupt a conversation(although he doesn't really understand that even if you say excuse me doesn't mean the person you are speaking to is going to stop talking and listen to you. But he is 4), and thank you, and such. Great oarenting on my sister's part. Not really, jsut persistance. Cause than my niece (who is 2) not so polite. but working on it.
    Fratsor Sister - Delta Mu Chi Alpha

ΔΜΧΑ

• a saweet songbird =)

I find this article to be very true (in some ways). I agree in that more and more it feels as though people are lacking common courtesy. Such as holding the door open for a lady, saying please and thank you, nice to meet you, have a good evening, take care, drive home safely, so on and so forth. I have often heard some mention that these polite sayings are over-rated and mundane. "They've lost meaning, having been said so many times." That I feel is a cop out! While it may be very true, it's been said several times, it's still the thought that counts. I can not speak for some but, as for myself I mean these things when I say them to each and every person I encounter. I feel that society has become very desensitized thus, adding to the problem. When I was working at Alaska Air Lines at LAX I was shocked at how desensitized people had become! We were on our way to the Westin Hotel when we had hit a lot of traffic outside of the norm. We were just about to hit the worst of it when the driver had chosen a different route to cut across a bulk of the terminals and luckily we had missed a lot of extra traffic. The reason being behind the traffic was of course an accident. A man had been run over by a construction truck in the middle of the street, exposed for all to see. People on the bus had noticed this very well but, hadn't shed a bit of concern for they were lucky enough to miss the worst of the traffic. I was so upset by this that when the lady on the bus had said, "Man good thing we missed all that traffic!" I had to respond," Man, good thing we didn't get hit and killed by a truck!"

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

I try and focus on the few people who are polite and show courtesy, they are out there, just harder to spot.

I agree though that it is getting worse, more and more people seem more selfish and think they own the world and you just need to move out of their way. Sad really......Can't we all just get along?

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Gumball Rally Volunteer!

I always say "sir" and "ma'am" and "thank you" - and I've taught my kids to do the same, and respect and common courtesy. Those are very important to me.
    Happy Anniversary, MiceChat!

• Hello there

Blog Entries

Can't say I always say Sir and ma'am. At times I just get fed up and am rude also. I do say them more often than not, but when the 'tude comes on- no way!
    Fratsor Sister - Delta Mu Chi Alpha

ΔΜΧΑ

• Minion

ORDDU: As a witch of good breeding and good character, I must say I'm constantly amazed at how societies from ALL over the globe seem to be getting more and more rude all the time--even in Morva!

ORGOCH: 'Course I guess it's not s'posed ta be rude ta try an' steel another gal's hubby, huh, tramp?! I mean, at least when ya tries ta do it, ya does it with a toothless smile on yer slutty face? That's what makes it 'polite', ain't it?

ORDDU: (pause) Then, again, it's easy to see how 'relatives' can drive another family member to the brink of insantity--causing them to forget all about how to act like a lady--while tempting them toward some sort of violent act--such as wringing a sister's NECK!!

(Sounds of shrieks and slaps--followed by a deadly calm...)

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by a_hyperbole
    I read this article on ABC News about a study showing people are getting ruder and ruder. I say that was a no-brainer!!

What do you all think?
    Hmmm...

A trip to Costco proves it to me every time....people rush to get their free samples , then throw their wrappers in the bottom of their carts instead of the trash. Later on, those carts are sitting all over the parking lot instead of in the cart areas that are available every few rows. I even saw someone let go of a cart and it rolled right into a beautiful Mercedes and left a huge dent in the side. I would have grabbed it , but I was too far away at the time.

This afternoon, I called the theater to exchange my tickets for a better seat location for a production of West Side Story like I was told I'd be able to do when I bought the tickets if better seats became available. The guy on the phone kept telling me that the seats I had were great since they were in the center (Row 23, seats 2 and 4) and that there was no reason for me to exchange them. I finally said "Tell you what...since I'm the one who's paying for these tickets , how about if I decide what the best seats are for me. He had Row 13, seats 17 and 19 for the same show. I said "Yep, I'll take those. Thanks." At least I was polite!