Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Waiting for fireworks...

AZ Grocery Strike

I have worked for Fry's grocery stores in Arizona for 11 years. As it looks right now, we will be going on strike as of Friday Nov. 13th at 6 pm.

I am freaked out! I have never been through a strike before.

The California strike (with Safeway (Von's) and Ralph's (Kroger)) lasted 5 months!!!!

I was wondering if any Mice Chatters were involved with that last strike in California or if you're a Fry's or Safeway employee now here in AZ.

What are your thoughts?

Here's some links if you'd like to see what this current strike is all about.

Union website...
    UFCW Local 99 - 2008-2009 Negotiations Update

From the Fry's website...
    Welcome to MyEmployeeInfo.com: Fry's

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Re: AZ Grocery Strike

I thought I heard that some clerks were going to protest against the union leadership. Any truth to that? Yikes, this would be extremely scary, considering how "down and out" the economy is in in the Phoenix area. Much moreso than with the boycott in CA several years ago.

• Nerd

no one wins in a strike. here when we had the strike I saw a lot of people suffering for what???? The union made a miniscule step forward if that....and everyone who works for the markets lost more money than they could ever make up...plus strike over the xmas holidays in the worst economy...good luck with that... you think things are bad now, just wait.

your union bosses aren't losing anything. they are playing with your lives to manipulate the system suposedly for the greater good...really... not anymore I dont think.

• Banned User

I was a part of the Safeway strike back in....what was that....2002-2003? It sucks, it's not fun at all... u stand all day with a sign that says ur striking, u have to bother every customer who shops there not to, I remember there sometimes being confrontations with the replacement workers, and customers... my advice is walk the line, don't cross, be respectful to everyone.. I hope it doesn't last as long as ours did, good luck

• Banned User

One more quick note to what CMHusband said.....he's right, the union bosses aren't losing anything, our union rep. bought a new truck and got a second story added to his house when we were the ones on strike, when we were the ones without a job... do it for yourself, not the union

There are alot of members angry at the union about this. There's actually a protest tonight.
    Just in my store alone there's maybe 2-3 people that said they would actually strike. The only problem is that if the union strikes Safeway then Fry's will lockout all of their employees. Then we wouldn't even have the choice to cross the line.
    I'm still hoping that they will come to an agreement before the Friday deadline. I have a feeling that if a strike does actually happen then it will unfortunately last a long time like the CA strike. Especially because our union is really weak. We are in a right to work state so not everyone has to join the union.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Arizona's own

Blog Entries

I am so sorry that you are going through this PandaGirl. After watching the news yesterday and hearing many of the Fry's employees upset about a strike and then seeing the union leader say that there would be no more talks makes me worry for all the employees of Safeway and Fry's. If the union is not even willing to meet before the strike deadline what chance have you guys got in not striking?

Quote Originally Posted by pratt55 View Post
    I am so sorry that you are going through this PandaGirl. After watching the news yesterday and hearing many of the Fry's employees upset about a strike and then seeing the union leader say that there would be no more talks makes me worry for all the employees of Safeway and Fry's. If the union is not even willing to meet before the strike deadline what chance have you guys got in not striking?
    Thanks for the replies!

It's not fair what either side is doing. The union is telling us that Fry's hasn't given them a final offer and Fry's is telling us that they already gave them the best offer that they are gonna give. So it seems to me that the union is going to let this strike happen over a little technicality (final offer and best offer seem like the same thing to me). One of them better give in soon.

***keeping my fingers crossed***

PandaGirl,
    Living in Chandler and shopping at both Fry's and Safeway, I have been watching this proposed strike. The employees at the stores I attend are great. I wish for the best for all of you. I don't know what the answer is, but I hope it works out for the best for the employess.

Quote Originally Posted by gparzlaw View Post
    PandaGirl,
    Living in Chandler and shopping at both Fry's and Safeway, I have been watching this proposed strike. The employees at the stores I attend are great. I wish for the best for all of you. I don't know what the answer is, but I hope it works out for the best for the employess.

Thanks!

• aka the scorpion eater!

This is horrible... I have been reading about this all day today at work and no good is going to come out of this if there is a strike... Seriously, I dont shop at Safeway or Frys anyways [we are Wal Marters] but still... its so sad to hear about everything going on with the grocery stores... Not to mention the fact that people are going to lose jobs over something like this and for what? I mean, yes, healthcare is expensive but the costs of it keeps going up... Our company's per pay period costs for it go up every year and the sad thing is that I dont think the people on the Unions side really care that people who do go on strike will be replaced and will lose out on their jobs... Is there even any sense of human compassion anymore... or is the bottom line all about money, whats in it for me, and the selfish mentality this world is plagued with! Especially with the economy as it is and it being so close to the holiday season! To the OP, hang in there and keep positive thoughts out there.
    Add me... I dont bite LOL!
    http://tamasurvivor.tumblr.com/

http://www.youtube.com/tamasurvivor
    http://www.facebook.com/TAMAsurvivor

Commence Dragulation... Dragulation complete!!

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Arizona's own

Blog Entries

No strike, a tentative agreement has been worked out. I hope this means we will see you at the Princess and Frog meet next month PandaGirl.

Quote Originally Posted by pratt55 View Post
    No strike, a tentative agreement has been worked out. I hope this means we will see you at the Princess and Frog meet next month PandaGirl.
    Yes!!! No strike!!! Yes!!! I will get to go to my first meet!!!

I got the news this morning at work. We were all so relieved. There was some crying and alot of cheering. A huge weight has been lifted off all of our shoulders.

Thank you for all the support!!!

Here's the press release....

UFCW Local 99 and Grocery Companies Reach Agreement, Strike Averted

Nov. 13, 2009 -- We are proud to report that a strike has been averted with Safeway, Fry’s and Smiths.
    After 13 months of bargaining and a strike deadline just hours away, UFCW Local 99 and the grocery companies have agreed on a tentative new three-year contract.
    In the coming weeks, you will have an opportunity to thoroughly review the tentative agreement and vote on your new contract.
    Until then no details about the tentative agreement will be released.
    We know that this had been a tense and difficult time for you and your families. It is because of your strength, your support and your united stand with your union that we were able to avert a strike and bring you a contract that you can work under with pride.
    As the holiday season begins, we can all be grateful for the opportunity to work under a union contract that provides fair wages and benefits and dignity on the job.
    Your union stands strong and proud with you. Thank you.

• Nerd

Quote Originally Posted by gparzlaw View Post
    PandaGirl,
    It NEVER does....and as far as getting customers to shop elsewhere? where would that be? in the CA strike, the workers tried to intimidate shoppers....which is kind of silly cuz as soon as they get back to work they are all "hi, how are you???perky friendly" and we don't have anywhere else to buy food anyway....Loose loose....

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CMHusband View Post
    It NEVER does....and as far as getting customers to shop elsewhere? where would that be? in the CA strike, the workers tried to intimidate shoppers....which is kind of silly cuz as soon as they get back to work they are all "hi, how are you???perky friendly" and we don't have anywhere else to buy food anyway....Loose loose....
    I bought my groceries at Howe's during the strike. I wen back to the other stores after for serveral reasons.
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast