Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Help me decide about Facebook

I was going to title this thread, To Facebook, or not to Facebook. I decided on "Help me decide about Facebook" instead. I am actually sitting on the fence as to whether or not I should have a Facebook account or not.

It does seem that a great majority of people have accounts on Facebook. I notice the word Facebook a lot as I visit websites on the internet. I also understand that some people do spend a lot of time on that site. It is the time element that concerns me the most.

On one hand I would love to be able to connect with family members and friends and be able to chat and share pictures. On the other hand, do I really want to begin an account that may take up more of my time than I am willing to devote to it? I have many other things that I spend my time doing and I don't want that to change.

So honestly, if you have a Facebook account tell me why you like it. If you don't tell me why as well. I would also like to know on the average how much time do you spend on the site?

So, help me decide about Facebook.

You have all been great helping me to decide about Facebook. I do appreciate it. I decided to take the plunge. I am presently figuring out the best way to customize the experience for myself.

Feel free to continue to stop by in this thread and leave me your tips, and ideas, and if anyone would like to friend me, send me a PM. I'd love to have some MiceChat friends on Facebook. My husband says it will take over my life. Hopefully, I have this all under control. The newness takes time, but I am sure I will settle into a comfortable routine, just as I have with MiceChat.
    Last edited by Barbaraann; 11-17-2009 at 11:02 AM. Reason: To update everyone to the fact that I have indeed become a Facebook user.

May 11 - 16, 2015

• The 'Big Dreams' Kid

Re: Help me decide about Facebook

It is definitely a web site good for communicating with family members and old friends, and it is a good way to keep in touch with people you have not talked to in a long time.

If you stay away from quizzes, and games, it won't ruin your life by making you addicted to it.

But give it a shot, it's a fun way to connect.

EDIT: I personally spend about 30 minutes on the site daily.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Arizona's own

Blog Entries

I think its a great way to quickly communicate with family and friends and to find old friends. You can get info out quickly for example my niece let us all know at the same time that she was pregnant (of course she called her mommy and told her first). I probably spend a total of an hour on it in a day, checking in and out. The most time I spend is playing bingo. From what I understand if you play any of the other games (Sorority Life, Farmville, Mafia Wars, etc.) it can consume your time.

• Senior Minion

I like it because i've been able to get back in touch with old school friends, that and i'd never heard from half of my friends if it wasn't for them being on facebook.

Stay away from the games and it's not addicting.
    Press today is so concerned with cool vs. not cool that they're starting to forget good vs. bad. I'm not sure I'll ever be "cool", but I will always tirelessly strive to be "great". - Josh Groban

• no flash photography...

You can spend as much or as little time you want there...just like the internet in general...it's your choice.

•   
    • At one w/ our Disneyness

Just do it.
    Just countin' the days til the next visit!

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

I have both FaceBook and MySpace, and in some ways I prefer MySpace. MySpace is less interactive for lack of a better term, and easier to navigate. I don't like the layout of Facebook, it still confuses me. What the heck is the difference between live feed and News Feed? If I post something on someone's wall, where does it show up? Where does stuff I post on my page show up?

I have been much more selective with "friends" on Facebook. If I totally don't know who you are, (or know you are from MiceChat) I don't add you. On Myspace I have a lot of random people, bands and businesses.

But I absolutely refuse to start pretty much any of the games and stuff with rare exception. People are always sending me Farmtown Gifts, Mafia War crap and stuff like that and I just delete all of it.

So yeah, you can be as active or passive with it as you want. Or ignore it completely and just log in when you get an email that someone has written something on your wall or requests you be a friend.

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

• I'm not really here

Quote Originally Posted by Barbaraann View Post
    On the other hand, do I really want to begin an account that may take up more of my time than I am willing to devote to it?
    As with all things in life, Facebook will take as much time as you put into it. Set yourself a limit and stick to it. Nothing can take time from you that you are unwilling to give it.

So honestly, if you have a Facebook account tell me why you like it. If you don't tell me why as well. I would also like to know on the average how much time do you spend on the site?
    I do have a FB account. It has been a wonderful way to stay in touch with cousins that live far away and my parents who are a state over. It's been great to reconnect with high-school friends and find that I'm better friends with some of them since we are all now adults and grown-up. I've even been able to get to know my wife's family that live in England who I would otherwise have probably have not had this easy of a time talking to and getting to know.

On average, I spend about 10 - 15 minutes a day on Facebook. Dropping notes to friends, responding to their notes and looking at any pictures they may have put up. You can go crazy and get involved in games and quizzes and groups, or you can chose not to. I'll do a few of the quizzes that I find funny that my friends do and there is one game I play, but I still keep it to about a quarter of an hour a day.

It's all about will-power. Control it, don't let it control you.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • It's knittingknurse now.

Blog Entries

I like it for family stuff.

I also like it the nights I work, I can put my status at 8:30 or 10am "Kim is sleeping." That way people don't call my house and wake me up (and if they are on facebook, and call me up, they get grumpy Kim).

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

MySpace because a total mess for me and I'm going to probably delete my page there eventually since I never go there anymore. I like Facebook because the layout is much "cleaner" and easier to navigate. I've been able to reconnect with some people I went to high school with, plus stay in touch with friends I don't see that often. I have a few cousins on there, but that's it as far as family. I also have a personal rule to not friend any of my coworkers on Facebook. But I like Facebook. I spend more time than I should on there. I don't play many of the games, just FarmVille and Fluff Friends. And I only do the quizzes I'm interested in (which again, aren't that many).

Give it a try. If you don't like it, you can always delete your account.

• no flash photography...

Quote Originally Posted by aimster View Post
    MySpace because a total mess for me and I'm going to probably delete my page there eventually since I never go there anymore.
    I have a myspace page. I tried to use it a few times, but it's a mess. I hate it. My daughter plays with my page more than I do. I never go there anymore.

• The 'Big Dreams' Kid

MySpace is a wreck ever since Facebook.

• Hug a Billy

The Golden Horseshoe/Big Thunder Jamboree

I joined Facebook sometime last March. It was only because of a friend I made at Disneyland who takes photos. That's the only place he posts them and if I wanted to see them, I had to join. I felt like I was crossing over to the "dark side" and I was really apprehensive. I was like, how do they know all this stuff about people? So I asked questions, clicked on everything and set that puppy up so I don't get things I don't want and Facebook doesn't post things to others pages if I don't want (like communicating one on one with someone).

Recently Facebook changed the way they do things (again!) and most people do not like the new layout. But like everything if you give it a chance and figure it out, things works out. I post all my photos there now. It is the way I keep in touch with the new friends I've made at Disneyland and my friends and family. I DO NOT play games or take quizes. I would highly suggest you stay away for those things not only because of the time issue but because of privicy issues. Also, I use it to keep track of special events and appearances of people like Dana Daniels (who used to work the Golden Horseshoe) and the Billies. For instance, I just went with friends to see the Billies, Dana Daniels and the Classic Dans (the former Dapper Dans) at a theater last night. I would have never known about this event had it not been for Facebook.

I'm in a play for my church and I used Facebook to create an event and advertise it. I've found it to be a very useful tool. There are many tricks to keeping your page clean and simple and if you join, find me (Irene Kautto), friend me and I will pass on some of the neat things I've learned.

• Grim Grinning

I very rarely get on my myspace anymore since I got a facebook. I stay away from all the games. I don't spend too much time on there every day really. You only spend as much time on there as you want to.

• Circle of Ancients

It makes it VERY easy to keep in contact with old friends. I have found probably 5-10 really good friends from HS that I hadn't talked to in a few years. Some less than 5, some since HS. It's been great for re-connecting.

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast