• Infinitized!

STS-129: ISS Spare Parts Delivery

Space shuttle Atlantis is launching today, in about 6 hrs, to deliver spare parts to the ISS. Here's Nasa's official page and the countdown clock:
    NASA - Space Shuttle

The launch is scheduled for 2:28 pm EST.

• I'm not really here

Re: STS-129: ISS Spare Parts Delivery

Can't wait. Love watching the shuttle launch.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• 60 Dazzling Years!

I watch every Space Shuttle launch. I will be sad to see the fleet retired ... Seems like the next generation transports are going back in time from the way the shuttles function.

• I'm not really here

Quote Originally Posted by OC2Epcot View Post
    I watch every Space Shuttle launch. I will be sad to see the fleet retired ... Seems like the next generation transports are going back in time from the way the shuttles function.
    It does seem that way, but the shuttle design just doesn't work very well for what they are planning on doing. Orion is designed for Lunar and Martian landings as well as ISS docking as well as returning to Earth.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Infinitized!

How'd the launch go? I didn't get to watch it live today as I was working up at the ski hill.

• Drink life to the lees.

Quote Originally Posted by Barbossa View Post
    How'd the launch go? I didn't get to watch it live today as I was working up at the ski hill.
    It was perfect

• I'm not really here

Here's a YouTube vid of the launch:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsJpUCWfyPE"]YouTube - STS-129 HD Launch[/ame]

You can watch live feeds of the mission here: NASA - NASA TV
    (Doing heat shield tile inspection now)

Here is the STS-129 mission schedule for NASA TV: http://www.nasa.gov/tvschedule/pdf/tvsked_revb.pdf

They will be docking with the ISS tomorrow morning about 9-10 am PST

• Infinitized!

All I've got to say is, of the last bunch of shuttle launches I've watched, this was the best in quite awhile. No mechanical delays, no weather delays. The weather was great during the launch and provided some of the best launch footage I've seen in awhile.

• Infinitized!

This may be the "ISS Spare Parts Delivery" thread, but there was a different kind of delivery at Nasa last night. Congrats to STS 129 astronaut Randolph Bresnik on the birth of his daughter:
    BBC News - Astronaut on space shuttle Atlantis becomes a father

If it were me in space and I had a son who was born, I would've named him James Tiberius, but that's just me.

• Infinitized!

The best footage I've ever seen of a shuttle launch:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxUV9Q3d64Q"]YouTube - STS-129 Ascent Video Highlights[/ame]

It's the first time I've seen camera footage from the solid booster rockets, from seperation to touchdown in the ocean. Awesome shots!

I'm gonna miss the Shuttles when they are retired. Don't know why they can't keep them going for the duration of the ISS program.

• Infinitized!

^The video was taken off Youtube, however, you can check it out right here:
    Today's Video: STS-129 Ascent Highlights - NASA Watch)

• I'm not really here

There are a few videos out there from the SRBs. They aren't the easiest to find, but they are there. Love watching them coming back down to Earth. Amazing how high up they get in the 2 minutes they burn.