Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

• formerly PretzelSouls!

Questions About: Oregon & Washington

Hi all,

I will be graduating the community college this spring and will be taking some time off to save up money. But soon after my little break, I will be applying to university. I don't have anything against California, but I've been living here all my life, and I want a change. With that said...I have looked into Oregon and Colorado.

Those states all seem like good candidates as they all have the university I'm looking to go to. But, I've never been to them so I'm asking for your help!

Specifically, I'm looking into:
    Portland, Oregon
    Denver, Colorado

This is what I'd like to know:
    Crime rates, cost of living, weather, ect. Anything will help, I just need more information about these states. I don't mind the rain, I can stand the cold, but I want somewhere not super expensive and safe.

Thank you for all and any help!
    "Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined." -Henry David Thoreau

• Cake Anyone?

re: Questions About: Oregon & Washington

I have know several people who have lived in Portland or have friends/family who do and they love it. Here is a link to the crime statistics for Portland.

Police Bureau

And here is some housing info

Portland Oregon Housing Information and Statistics
    Taking contributions to get me back to Disneyland!

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Why so far from Disneyland?

I suggest the four major universities closest to DL: Cal State Fullerton, Chapman University, UC Irvine, or Cal State Long Beach.

Oh I forgot to add that the city of Irvine, while the crime rate has increased from last year (and with this economy that isn't surprising) has still been selected as the nation's safest city with a population of 100,000 or more.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • It's knittingknurse now.

Blog Entries

Not to toot the WA horn, but you don't have to pay income tax and UW or WWU are great schools. Plus WA micechat people rock.

Okay getting to the subject:
    Oregon you don't have to pay sales tax. Portland has Vodoo donuts. Yay!

• Wait, what?

Blog Entries

I love, love, love Oregon but I will be honest. There is a meth problem here. I do not think that it is as bad in Portland as it is in other areas though.
    But yeah, no sales tax and Voodoo donuts.

Portland also has many good restaurants, and one of the best public transportation networks.

• formerly PretzelSouls!

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Step-Mom View Post
    I have know several people who have lived in Portland or have friends/family who do and they love it. Here is a link to the crime statistics for Portland.

Police Bureau

And here is some housing info

Portland Oregon Housing Information and Statistics
    Thanks! Those sites help a lot!
    Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    Why so far from Disneyland?

I suggest the four major universities closest to DL: Cal State Fullerton, Chapman University, UC Irvine, or Cal State Long Beach.

Oh I forgot to add that the city of Irvine, while the crime rate has increased from last year (and with this economy that isn't surprising) has still been selected as the nation's safest city with a population of 100,000 or more.
    I grew up in Gardena and Torrance. I have very little patience and I'm not willing to battle the traffic again. I'd love to see another part of the country, outside of California. I'm sure I will return though...I couldn't stand being away from Disneyland for too long!
    Quote Originally Posted by knittingknerd View Post
    Not to toot the WA horn, but you don't have to pay income tax and UW or WWU are great schools. Plus WA micechat people rock.

Okay getting to the subject:
    Oregon you don't have to pay sales tax. Portland has Vodoo donuts. Yay!
    I've looked into Washington too. And it seems like a great state! How's the weather? Any pros and cons?
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthDucky View Post
    I love, love, love Oregon but I will be honest. There is a meth problem here. I do not think that it is as bad in Portland as it is in other areas though.
    But yeah, no sales tax and Voodoo donuts.

Portland also has many good restaurants, and one of the best public transportation networks.
    Voodoo donuts? LOL. The name sounds familiar, maybe it was on tv. Thanks for the help!
    "Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined." -Henry David Thoreau

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew

Blog Entries

Weather in WA, depends on where you are. I live in a "banana belt" which means I get about as much rain as Central California (20 inches) and the rain here is different than CA. Rain in California is all drenching insane. Rain where I live is like happy mist with a little drenching rain. Right now we're in the cold season and it's frosty. I think in my part (again I live on an island, so we're weird), it gets at the coldest 14 degrees. So there's frost, we get like an inch of snow and it melts right away. The only downside about where I live is around February I went kinda' nutty because it was a little too gray for too long and I started to knit in hot pink and neon green, and then painted my bedroom neon/lime green. Eastern Washington is different though, a lot colder and a lot more conservative politically. One big con I will say is the lack of Mexican food. Dude...and when it gets cold and gray I instantly go for hot and spicy food.

• formerly PretzelSouls!

Weather in WA, depends on where you are. I live in a "banana belt" which means I get about as much rain as Central California (20 inches) and the rain here is different than CA. Rain in California is all drenching insane. Rain where I live is like happy mist with a little drenching rain. Right now we're in the cold season and it's frosty. I think in my part (again I live on an island, so we're weird), it gets at the coldest 14 degrees. So there's frost, we get like an inch of snow and it melts right away. The only downside about where I live is around February I went kinda' nutty because it was a little too gray for too long and I started to knit in hot pink and neon green, and then painted my bedroom neon/lime green. Eastern Washington is different though, a lot colder and a lot more conservative politically. One big con I will say is the lack of Mexican food. Dude...and when it gets cold and gray I instantly go for hot and spicy food.
    I know how you feel about the Mexican food! I live in a mainly Hispanic town, and there is no good Mexican food joints. Pfft! The school I'm looking into is the Art Institute. I went on their website and there is one in Seattle, Washington. The thing I was really thinking about in Oregon was the rain and the cloudy weather, but I don't think I'd mind it too much...so maybe Washington might be a good candidate too.

• Wait, what?

Blog Entries

Seattle is rainy too. Unfortunately, this year has been fairly dry. (wetter than Cali, but not Oregon wet)

• Wait, what?

Blog Entries

A picture of some of my backyard. Of course Portland is more city than Rainier.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew

Blog Entries

It's a different type of wet than California though... I'm bias. I fell in love with Western Washington. My only kvetch/complaint is in my town everyone is like 55+ years old, meaning the dating scene sucks. But in Seattle everyone is young.

• formerly PretzelSouls!

Seattle is rainy too. Unfortunately, this year has been fairly dry. (wetter than Cali, but not Oregon wet)
    I like the rain, even if it's a light mist - I'm a happy camper! That's part of why I want out of California, I want to experience a different weather type.
    A picture of some of my backyard. Of course Portland is more city than Rainier.
    Wow! That is amazing! SO pretty.
    It's a different type of wet than California though... I'm bias. I fell in love with Western Washington. My only kvetch/complaint is in my town everyone is like 55+ years old, meaning the dating scene sucks. But in Seattle everyone is young.
    Good to know! Thanks!
    Have you ever been around Belltown? Or do you know anything about it? From the apartments I can see online, it doesn't look like that great of an area. And that's where the institute is, in Belltown. Or even Eastlake?

• formerly PretzelSouls!

If any mods come though here, could you please change the title to "Questions About: Oregon & Washington" Thank you!

• Cake Anyone?

Any neighborhood downtown can be 'iffy' for a female (a lot of homeless people sleeping in doorways, etc). Apartments downtown are very expensive so you may want to look at a suburb of Seattle for affordable housing.
    Taking contributions to get me back to Disneyland!

• Wait, what?

Blog Entries

Portland is pure awesomesauce.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast