Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Hello there

Blog Entries

Good bye World of Disney 5th Ave :(

So I took a walk on my lunch hour to say goodbye to World of Disney on 5th Ave. The store is closing tomorrow. It was quite depressing. My small home away from home, the place I would visit before every Walt Disney World trip to get me in a Disney frame of mind is closing. My little piece of Disney magic has been snuffed out. I have never been to Disneyland, and I live to far from WDW to go more than once a year (well, this year I went twice), so this was the closest thing I had to a Disney experience here in NY. It was a place to get my Disney fix.
    I walked into the store today and the only floor that was opened to guests was the first floor. And there was not much left. Just a couple of racks and bins of stuff- quickly tossed together for final sale (which was 75% off- not bad!) I did go there last week and bought myself a sweatshirt- sort of a souvenier of the place- that says NYC with a Mickey head on it. I am glad I went when I did becuase there was none left. Today I did get the cast member behind the counter to give me a bunch of stickers they use to close the boxes that says NYC World of Disney 55th and 5th Ave on it to keep as a momento. It was sad leaving the store to see the cast members standing at the door turning people away who wanted to come in- telling them the store is closed. It was only 12:30

I truely hope they re-open the store as rumored at Times Square. And soon!
    Fratsor Sister - Delta Mu Chi Alpha

ΔΜΧΑ

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

Re: Good bye World of Disney 5th Ave :(

I didn't realize it was closing so soon! I forgot it was the end of the year. It's a shame NNL and I didn't get a chance to head back one more time. We managed to make it to WoD Thanksgiving Weekend, but not after.

Here's another hope that it comes to Times Square, and hopefully as a WoD and not another Disney Store!
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

• Sshhh, being very quiet

NO NO! I had hoped to get out there someday to visit it! Thank goodness my mother and father went out there 3 thanksgivings ago and got me my Disney pins from there...

I didn't know and I'm sad.

• I eat TR's for breakfast!

Why is it closing? (forgive me for not knowing...)

• Hello there

Blog Entries

Lease is up and they are not renewing. They are *supposed* to be relocating back to Time Square- or so is the rumor. They orignally were on Time Square, moved to 5th ave, and now are supposed to be moving back.
    Fratsor Sister - Delta Mu Chi Alpha

ΔΜΧΑ

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Mickey and 'Key

Blog Entries

Yeah, it really would have been nice to know it was closing so soon I'm gonna miss it. And now there's no reason to go down 5th Ave lol
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• Future Cast Member

I've never been to New York, but I've seen a few pictures of the store and have heard it's really nice. I also know it's a version of disney store that actually sells really good Disney stuff, like things from the parks. I wish all Disney stores were like that, and it's so sad that it has to close. I have some cool New York Potato Head things my grandparents brought from there, and lots of other exclusive World of Disney things. Hopefully they will relocate and it'll be just as good as the current one.

• The 'Big Dreams' Kid

Dang that stinks, so what is WOD down to only the 2 stores at the resorts now?

• Hug a Billy

The Golden Horseshoe/Big Thunder Jamboree

I visited that store several years ago on a vacation and was amazed. So sorry to hear that it is closing and hope you get the one in Times Square. I did get a few things that said NY on them as it wasn't something I could get anywhere else. I treasure my Mickey NY pin.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Wendygirl View Post
    I did get a few things that said NY on them as it wasn't something I could get anywhere else. I treasure my Mickey NY pin.
    Sadly, recently this hasn't been the case, as I have seen many NY items for sale in the parks. Hopefully this was just to clean inventory out for the closing and was not permanent. We'll see if the NY continues in the parks, or the new WoD opens and we still get NY merch in the parks. Part of what made the NYC store special was the fact you could get NYC exclusive merch there.
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

• or CBF

Darn. Now I wish I would've stopped by there when I was in NYC in August.
    MHTSEIAHTECTESVEIBIECSETR

Find me on:Facebook / Twitter
    (Send me a message saying you are from MC)

• Wishin' I was at WDW.

MousePrincess, I felt the same way about NYC's World of Disney as you did. I'm gonna miss my little pocket of Disney theme parks in the City. I meant to get there in the weeks before it closed but never quite had the chance.

To answer another poster's question, yes there are now just the two (of three) World of Disneys left. One at Disneyland the other at Walt Disney World.

What I liked so much about World of Disney here in the City is that, since 2004, it was operated by the theme park division and was not part of The Disney Store chain.

Looking forward to what Disney has up their sleeve for a new presence in the City though. From what I've read about how Disney wants to remake the Disney Store chain into a multimedia platform modeled after Apple Stores it sounds like they may very well come up with something terrific.

Sad Re: Good bye World of Disney 5th Ave :(

I got there at around 3:00 on 12/30, with my son, for our last pin trading, and to say goodbye to our favorite cast members, and the store doors were locked. My son was devastated! There was nothing left on the shelves. There was only one jewelry stand on the floor, and they were removing the items and putting them in a box. It was very, very sad, especially since we thought the store was closing on the 31st.

We could see the castmembers inside, and we were waving to them, but they didn't see us. My son stood outside the store for 30 minutes - he had to say goodbye to the store. He hugged the door handles, kissed the glass, and with a tear, we walked away. It was very sad.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Mickey and 'Key

Blog Entries

OMG.... they ARE moving to Times Square and it sounds AWESOME!!!

Disney Store Innovates Times Square Retail with All-New Magical Shopping Experience Opening Fall 2010

PASADENA, Calif. - (Business Wire) Disney Store will transform an expansive retail space in the heart of New York’s Times Square into a magical state-of-the-art, interactive retail destination set to open in fall 2010. The lease signed with Vornado Realty Trust, negotiated by RCS Real Estate Advisors, and brokered by SRS Real Estate Partnerssecured the location at 1540 Broadway, between 45th and 46th Street. Inspired by Walt Disney’s legacy of creativity and innovation, the new Disney Store will celebrate Disney’s long-standing history with the city that never sleeps.

Since the debut of Walt Disney’s audio-animatronic figures at the New York World's Fair in 1964, Disney designers, architects, and engineers have utilized technology to bring new immersive experiences to the city. Continuing the legacy, Disney Store will incorporate technologically advanced displays including an interactive Disney Princess castle to serve as one of many magical centerpieces at the new Times Square location. An all-new children’s theater will feature the latest Disney entertainment, classic animation, and continue Disney’s rich tradition of storytelling.

<...>

Renovations will begin soon at the Times Square location, designed to showcase a wide assortment of products inspired by iconic Disney characters and key entertainment properties. The newly-designed Disney Store will facilitate interactive play and imagination, host children’s activities, special events, and celebrity appearances.
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• Wishin' I was at WDW.

Nice to know the rumor about them going into part of the space left behind from Virgin Megastore is true.

Looking forward to seeing what this new Disney Store will be like.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast