Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Air Force One

• For old time sake

Air Force One

In March I took Derek to the Reagan Presidential Library and the Air Force one exhibit was still in the works. I thought Derek was going to DIE when he found out what was in that bldg. So I knwo he will be excited when he comes out here and we will be making the trek to Simi Valley so he can feel like the Commander in Chief!!!!!

Dang that is one big *** plane
    Katie
    Founding member of the BA I LOVE us!!!
    FIGHT ON!!!!!!

• Again! Again! Again!

Re: Air Force One

I was just watching a little bit of the dedication ceremony. You're right, it is a huge *** plane!! I've never been to either of the Presidential Libraries. I would like to go someday. Even more now so I can check out the plane and see what it entails! Must be pretty cool!
    Founding member of the B.A. I LOVE US!!
    FratSor Sister-Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ
    I bring the magic!!!
    "If all my friends were to jump off a bridge, I wouldn't jump with them, I'd be at the bottom to catch them"
    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend DMother
    Girl bonding is just so necessary. It's just as important as "me" time. A good girl bonding session leaves you feeling so refreshed. I think of it as a NEED vs a want. There are just things that you need to talk to other women with. You may have the best relationship in the world with your husband, but there are just times you need your girlfriends. It makes for a healthier and happier you which makes everything else you do better.

• I'm your huckleberry.

and just imagine, the AirForce1 on display in Simi is a 707... the current AirForce1 is a 747.... how huge must it be?!?!?!

• Minion

Sounds cool! Saw a show on Discovery about Air Force One. Quite an amazing plane that can do some truly amazing things.

• A Pirate's life for me!

I saw the same show...Awesome!

• insufferable know-it-all

I think the plane will be good for Simi Valley. Tourism and all.

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• MiceChat Moderator
    • back to basics

I've been inside JFK's Air Force One which is in Tucson, planes have improved greatly since then. I've wanted to go to one of the libraries too, more reason to go now.

ErikAnders.smugmug.com

Fratsor Brother - ΔΜΧΑ

1519, 4066, 423, 600, 2469, 378, 5044, 888

• Incognito

Blog Entries

Dunno if you're confusing the current AF1 to the old one. As was stated the old AF1 was based off of the commercial 707, a narrow body aircraft with the same cross section as the 727, 737 and 757 and was about, if not smaller, in length than the 757. This is the aircraft that is in Simi (one of them anyway). The current AF1 is built on the 747-200 airframe which is indeed a huge aircraft. Just some aircraft facts for ya'll.

Cant wait for the hangar to open to the public. Being that I love all things aviation it'll be neat to have something so historic so close to where I live. Plus Ive never been the the Library.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by a_hyperbole
    and just imagine, the AirForce1 on display in Simi is a 707... the current AirForce1 is a 747.... how huge must it be?!?!?!
    I noticed recently that they are using a 747. When they were introduced many people would make a trip to LAX just to have a look at one in person and see it take off. They were astonishing at that time. I've flown to Europe and the S. Pacific many times on them.

Some of you probably don't realize that at the top "dome" on the nose was a cocktail lounge reached by a spiral staircase. Many of the airlines used that as a big marketing device.

A very large number of them are stored in mothballs out here in the Mojave Desert because of the low humidity.

• insufferable know-it-all

Yeah, but they replaced the cocktail lounge with a business class section in many cases.

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• no flash photography...

Quote Originally Posted by Olympicnut

Cant wait for the hangar to open to the public. Being that I love all things aviation it'll be neat to have something so historic so close to where I live. Plus Ive never been the the Library.
    have you ever been up to the antelope valley? There is a small airplane park that has two blackbirds and many other fighter type planes as well as a nasa plane. I drive by it all the time. Also, out here in the lovely desert is aplace that I call the graveyard of airplanes. They ahve all these commercial type aircrfat on the side of the freeway. There were so many of them...I guess they go there when they get to old to fly??...my BF just told me it's called the boneyard.

• no flash photography...

I saw that airforce one in person one day. I was not impressed though. It kind of pissed me off. We had landed in arizona I thik coming back from NY and they made us wait for over an hour on the runway or not near the terminal, because airforce one was there and we weren't not allowed close to it. I saw it right outside the window, but I was just annoyed at the time...LOL

• For old time sake

If you have not been to the libraries you should go. Whether you are a Republican, Democrat, Independednt, etc. It's a piece of history!!! I first went to the Nixon Library shortly after he died. I was too young to remember any part of his presidency (he resigned when I was 5 months old), but being that I grew up in a highly liberal household I never got to know how much he did for foreign affairs. So going to his library was quite educational and fascinating!!!! Derek and I went to the Reagan Library and I cried when we went to his grave. His library was much smaller than I thought it would be but it most certainly brought back ALOT of memories. If anyone wants to go to either library, let me know. I'd be happy to accompany you.
    Katie
    Founding member of the BA I LOVE us!!!
    FIGHT ON!!!!!!

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Hey, as part of the new Air Force One exhibit, there is an Irish Pub!!!!!!

Alas, it will be 'dry'
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

• I'm your huckleberry.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympicnut
    Dunno if you're confusing the current AF1 to the old one. As was stated the old AF1 was based off of the commercial 707, a narrow body aircraft with the same cross section as the 727, 737 and 757 and was about, if not smaller, in length than the 757. This is the aircraft that is in Simi (one of them anyway). The current AF1 is built on the 747-200 airframe which is indeed a huge aircraft. Just some aircraft facts for ya'll.

Hey O-nut (and other aviation lovers)! The March Air Museum in Moreno Valley will be having its annual open aircraft days during 11/12-11/13. I know its quite a drive for many of you, but if you're enthusiasts of WWII aviation, its worth the trip! Here's their website: http://www.marchfield.org/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast