• MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

Sealing Up the Garage Door - Temporary Solution

We are moving into a rental home and we wanted to utilize the 1 car garage as an office. With that in mind we are trying to figure out the best way to seal off the door in a temporary way so if we move in the future its relatively easy to remove.

As we live in Florida, the summer heat is crazy with humidity so that would be the time of year we are most concerned with. We already assumed we would be purchasing a portable AC unit (suggestions are appreciated) but we need to close off the garage door.

A few things to note:

1. We will never open the garage door.
    2. There is some light around the edges of the garage door we'd like to seal up.
    3. We can't install a window unit AC, it must be portable.
    4. The only time of day there is direct sunlight into the garage is between 3-5ish, as the garage door faces west. However, there are trees across the street so once they fall behind them its no longer direct.
    5. The door is wood.

Any suggestions for closing it up to make it cooler, given the conditions we have would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

• Disappearing/Reappearing

Re: Sealing Up the Garage Door - Temporary Solution

Could you use some of that styrofoam piping? I have no idea what it's called...but, I can see it in my mind. It's round, black, and hollow in the center. That should be flexible enough to squish in the edges and seal it off.

Aha! This is it!
    Grab On Grips | Foam Tubing, Motorcycle Grips & Bicycle Handlebar Grips

If you could measure the width of the cracks...maybe you could find tubing small enough to squish right in there. For an even tighter fit, cut small pieces of cloth, and wrap that around the tubes before you push them in the crack. That should take care of the light and make it air tight.

As for a/c. The only solution I know of...are those units that fit on the walls. I think Mitsubishi makes some. I think they are connected (someway) to a unit outside though

I found these after a search..
    Sharp CV10NH 10,000 BTU Portable Air Conditioner, Black

Nice rating..and totally portable.

go to Home Depot or Lowes. in the area that they have cement and rebars, they should have foam rolls in various diameters used to fill large cracks. it's called "backer rod". measure the gap and get some 1/4 or 1/2 inch wider.

if you are want a little extra to block air flow, get some blue painters tape. use that to cover around the edge of the door and frame.
    Last edited by gary94080; 01-05-2010 at 11:21 AM. Reason: clarification

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

^Awesome! Thanks for the input!

• A Pirate's life for me!

Be careful when sealing up garage doors!

Some local ordinances regulate garage "conversions" and use the "sealed up door" as an "FBI Clue" towards proving that the garage has been converted into something other than what it was originally designed for (to store a vehicle).

Just something to think about...

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

Quote Originally Posted by PirateMickey View Post
    Be careful when sealing up garage doors!

Some local ordinances regulate garage "conversions" and use the "sealed up door" as an "FBI Clue" towards proving that the garage has been converted into something other than what it was originally designed for (to store a vehicle).

Just something to think about...
    LOL We aren't doing anything to the outside of it and if they count playing video games or exercising as "FBI clues" then I think they need to change their priorities.

• A Pirate's life for me!

^^^^

You'd be surprised what "nosey neighbors" can accomplish with just one phone call!

I know you have the best of intentions, I just wanted to let you know what might lurk ahead...

Best of luck!

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

Quote Originally Posted by PirateMickey View Post
    ^^^^

You'd be surprised what "nosey neighbors" can accomplish with just one phone call!

I know you have the best of intentions, I just wanted to let you know what might lurk ahead...

Best of luck!
    I appreciate it, truly. I do have a cop who lives two doors down, I can imagine how interesting that conversation might be. LOL