• Iron-Clad Allie

3-D TV: ESPN, Sony, Discovery, IMAX Bring New Demension To Home Entertainment

ESPN, Sony, Discovery, IMAX to bring 3-D TV into the home - Yahoo! Singapore News

Sony, Discovery, IMAX are set to start a whole new network. ESPN (owned by Disney) will make history in two ways. It will not only bring us the first 3-D real sports footage.. the broadcasts will be live! It's first broadcasts will be coverage of some World Cup soccer matches in South Africa. During it's first year, ESPN 3-D plans to show 85 different sporting events.

This represents another great achievement for American enterprise. The broadcasts will be limited to the U.S. for at least the first year, before the companies expand into the international market. Even in these tough economic times, we have much to be proud of right here in our most wonderful homeland. I'm giddy with excitement over the coming new age of 3-D TV!
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• Down Pluto!

Re: 3-D TV: ESPN, Sony, Discovery, IMAX Bring New Demension To Home Entertainment

When you don't have to wear those silly glasses - I'll consider buying one.

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Re: 3-D TV: ESPN, Sony, Discovery, IMAX Bring New Demension To Home Entertainment

Quote Originally Posted by Sambo View Post
    When you don't have to wear those silly glasses - I'll consider buying one.
    This is why ESPN will be broadcsting each sports event in traditional 2-D as well as the new 3-D.
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 01-07-2010 at 07:49 PM.

• Goofy

these 3d stuff is getting really tiring.

• Down Pluto!

Quote Originally Posted by Rex Dopey24 View Post
    these 3d stuff is getting really tiring.
    We have seen 3D previews for half a dozen 3D movies recently as well as a couple 3D movies. All of them had an over abundance of stuff deliberately poking out of the screen as if to say "HEY THIS IS 3D AND WE KNOW YOU'VE NEVER SEEN IT BEFORE!!!". Along with that is the flying/rapid ground movement that places you zooming through the environment for no real reason to the story. Robert Zemeckis is the worst and he should know better. It all just gets monotonous, obnoxiously obvious, and adds NOTHING to the story except a special effect for the effect's sake. I was loathing 3D movies...until I saw Avatar.

Unfortunately I fear Avatar will be the fluke and all that other crap will be the norm.

3DTV in my house? Not likely until the programming proves itself to be of good enough quality to make me feel better about the stupid glasses.

Sporting events will most assuredly not do that for me.

• Iron-Clad Allie

There is a good deal of credance to the criticixm that "the more channels there are on televiosion, the less there is to watch". That said, once 3-DTV is in front of the public's eyes, it will become every bit as popular and delightfully fresh as the advent of programs broadcast in color.

It is an easy prdiction to make that theads about 3-DTV programing will take on a highly positive tone.. once ESPN and the new Sony, Discovery, IMAX network begins. All who participate in this thread topic should be proud that we have created the first MiceChat discussion on the subject.. and likely the first internet blog conversation period.

• Goofy

We have seen 3D previews for half a dozen 3D movies recently as well as a couple 3D movies. All of them had an over abundance of stuff deliberately poking out of the screen as if to say "HEY THIS IS 3D AND WE KNOW YOU'VE NEVER SEEN IT BEFORE!!!". Along with that is the flying/rapid ground movement that places you zooming through the environment for no real reason to the story. Robert Zemeckis is the worst and he should know better. It all just gets monotonous, obnoxiously obvious, and adds NOTHING to the story except a special effect for the effect's sake. I was loathing 3D movies...until I saw Avatar.

Unfortunately I fear Avatar will be the fluke and all that other crap will be the norm.

3DTV in my house? Not likely until the programming proves itself to be of good enough quality to make me feel better about the stupid glasses.

Sporting events will most assuredly not do that for me.
    i think robert zemeckis does a great job with 3d especially with christmas carol.besides, he is known for making awesome 3d movies.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by Rex Dopey24 View Post
    i think robert zemeckis does a great job with 3d especially with christmas carol.besides, he is known for making awesome 3d movies.
    Christmas Carol was a delightful work of art! Loved that film. On top of that, it involved three ghosts from three different demensions in time.. in 3-D. Doesn't get any better than that.

• Down Pluto!

But you have to admit - if you break down even just Christmas Carol scene by scene, there a HUGE number that use 3D as a bang - in your face tool, rather than a tool to just tell a good story. Not to say that the storytelling isn't good, far from it. I'm saying it isn't as good as it could be because Zemeckis uses it as an effect just to toss things at you rather than as a way to tell the story better.

He should know better, but is so enamored with the technology that he uses the "in your face" tool as an end into itself. I think his work suffers for it. I'll show more respect when I see he has figured it out. I'm not holding my breath though as he seems to think it (in your face 3D) is so cool that everyone wants to see it as much as they want a story.

As for his "awesome" 3D movies... box office numbers may say so, but I put them up there with the likes of American Idol, which has big numbers as well even though it is basically rubbish.

Sorry. Cameron is the 3D man. Zemeckis is yesterday's news.

• Iron-Clad Allie

But you have to admit - if you break down even just Christmas Carol scene by scene, there a HUGE number that use 3D as a bang - in your face tool, rather than a tool to just tell a good story. Not to say that the storytelling isn't good, far from it. I'm saying it isn't as good as it could be because Zemeckis uses it as an effect just to toss things at you rather than as a way to tell the story better.

He should know better, but is so enamored with the technology that he uses the "in your face" tool as an end into itself. I think his work suffers for it. I'll show more respect when I see he has figured it out. I'm not holding my breath though as he seems to think it (in your face 3D) is so cool that everyone wants to see it as much as they want a story.

As for his "awesome" 3D movies... box office numbers may say so, but I put them up there with the likes of American Idol, which has big numbers as well even though it is basically rubbish.

Sorry. Cameron is the 3D man. Zemeckis is yesterday's news.
    I don't care for American Idol either. Paula Abdul was the only thing real about the whole "fake act". That's why it's sick producers regurgitated her. If we lived in a less corrupt age such as the 1950's Idol would be busted and taken off the air, just like Arthur Godfrey's Talent Scouts was.

Now, if in-your-face 3-D for cheap thrills and laughs is just about all that will be featured on 3-D TV, I would perceivably tire quickly of it too. But, I sense there will be more high quality programing than what you're predicting. As we are talking about a new network, I would venture to say that there will be a good deal of original programing that is both varied and qualitative.

Plus, I'm anxious to see sports in 3-D.. especially football, baseball and basketball. Now, you apparently aren't interested in live 3-D sports... but nobady can say that the broadcasts will be nothing more than images being thrown in your face.
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 01-09-2010 at 03:24 PM.

• Down Pluto!

True enough. I don't hold out for quality 3D programming anytime soon though if the ratio of In-Your-Face vs. Quality in movies - transfers to television programming.

I predict it will - with the IYF leading the charge. Sports is an entirely different thing than typical IYF as it is "as it happens" rather than using the "throwing things at you" mentality of certain 3D directors. Although I believe there will be 3D sports show animated logo lead-ins that will "throw things at you"...

You are right though, eventually there will be quality 3D programming. Unfortunately it will still require the silly glasses. You have to admit though, sports fans are quite used to wearing silly things to watch an event.

Last edited by Sambo; 01-09-2010 at 02:13 PM.