Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Iron-Clad Allie

Seems Like Many Of The Same Types Of Products Cost More For Women Than Men

Have noticed for some time that many of the same kinds of products are higher priced for women than men... especially products having to do with health and beauty.

Here's some examples that I noticed while shopping at Raley's today...

• Men's Old Spice deoderent stick 2.25 oz for $2.79 as compared to Women's Lady Speed Stick 2.3 oz for 3.39

• Men's Barbasol shaving cream can 11 oz $1.69 as compared to women's Skintimate shaving cream can 7 oz $2.99

• Mens's Clairol hair coloring $6.99 as compared with women's Clairol hair coloring 8.99

• Men's Bod fragrant body spray 3.4 oz $4.29 as compared with women's Degree Classic body mist spray 3 fl oz $4.99

• SoftHeat theraputic heating pad (w/ man's picture on it), king sized $29.99 as compared to SoftHeat theraputic heatin pad (w/ woman's picture on it), king sized 36.99

Wonder what the reasoning of the marketing companies over this. Perhaps for one thing, they figure that women are more concerned than men with health and beauty care, so they will be willing to pay more.

What do you think.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• Seasick

Re: Seems Like Many Of The Same Types Of Products Cost More For Women Than Men

Yup, seems like a simple case of supply and demand to me.

Price deodorant too high for men, and we'll just say "eh, whatever, I'll pass".

Women on the other hand are more likely to care about that sort of thing.

Uh, is that a sufficiently sexist and stereotypical answer?
    My Micechat cruise trip report, Part 1:http://micechat.com/14795-disney-wonder/

• Disappearing/Reappearing

I think more women wear Bath and Body Works or Victoria's Secret body sprays. Which cost more in the 9.99-19.99 price range.

And most women I know have more than one scent. I know I have two baskets full. Most men have maybe...one cologne. My husband has three. But, only because I bought two for him. LOL

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Yup. Price it too high and I'll shave with soap or pass on cologne. Not sexist at all, it's what the market is willing to pay for.

• Down Pluto!

Vanity has its price. Women obviously care more about how they look than men (in general), it logically follows then they are willing to spend more to do so.

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

some of the stuff is worth the price.

Bath and Body Works and Victoria Secret's body sprays are worth the extra $10. To me, at least. Because, the scent lasts alot longer than the stuff you would buy at Walmart. But then....I'm the type of person that can't hold scents very well. Some people can wear anything, and you can smell it all day.

Lady shaving gel works better too. I've tried cutting corners and using men's shaving cream. I cut my legs to bits and got horrible razor burn. For some reason, I don't when using shaving gel.

• Down Pluto!

Quote Originally Posted by Stitchy View Post
    some of the stuff is worth the price.
    Absolutely! Just some of us guys don't care about how something feels or smells as long as it works. If it's cheap - all the better.

If you don't think so - how do you explain the popularity of AXE?

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by Sambo View Post
    Absolutely! Just some of us guys don't care about how something feels or smells as long as it works. If it's cheap - all the better.

I'm a whatever functionally works kinda guy when it comes to shaving cream. AXE or Barbasol will do just fine. Then again, I only use shaving ceam once in a blue moon when I need a new electric razor. I do like to smell fresh and I love cologns.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Quote Originally Posted by Sambo View Post

Don't AXE, don't tell.

• Down Pluto!

Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post
    Don't AXE, don't tell.
    But if you do AXE, you don't have to tell. Everyone can tell, especially the 80% of women who ironically really disfavor the smell of AXE.

...survey says. I'm just saying guys - don't be counterproductive.

actually, my husband has one of the AXE body sprays. Can't remember which one. I like the smell......but only of that one. He's tried buying the other scents, but every time he makes me test smell them, I turn slightly green and look at him funny.

• Circle of Ancients

Honestly, and nothing against women ... but from my personal experience, the ladies don't tend to look (or care) about the prices of things and will just buy a certain brand no matter how much it is. At least not the ladies I've known.

Me, I don't have a specific brand of deodrant or soap (for the most part) and will just buy whatever is on sale.

And I think the people who set the prices for these items are WELL aware of this.

That said ... I love the way my wife smells after a bath with her overpriced bath and body stuff, so it's all good.

For me, I can't even use Axe because it upsets my skin.

• mountains beyond mtns.

Actually, I do stick with certain brands of products. For deodorants, I'm concerned that if I switch, I may get skin rashes so I cut out the x factor and stick with what I can rely on.

For shaving cream/gel, I learned to shave without it. I only get cuts and nicks once every 6 months or so now as opposed to every other day when I started this out.

• Hukuna Matata!

Were just lucky, we dont get periods, we can pee standing up and we dont have to have babies. What can you say, its a mans world and without you we couldnt live in it so thank you for putting up with us and high prices and all of the womanly things that we couldnt deal with... We may have the strength but you women are stronger.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by Joshnyah View Post
    Were just lucky, we dont get periods, we can pee standing up and we dont have to have babies. What can you say, its a mans world and without you we couldnt live in it so thank you for putting up with us and high prices and all of the womanly things that we couldnt deal with... We may have the strength but you women are stronger.
    Women are indeed stronger and more beautiful. The only thing that keeps them from being perfect is when they marry us.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast