Question about Imagineering.

I didn't know where to put this topic, so I posted here.
    My dream has always been working in Disney Imagineering. I'm in Middle School and I've been working hard on my grades, and studying everything I can about Imagineering (Even coming up with my own designs).
    I'm aware of the difficulty it would be to become an Imagineer, and their high amount of lay-offs.

Here are the degrees I'm considering in College (Over a course of about 8 years.)
    Masters degree in Mechanical Engineering
    Major Degree in Fine Arts
    Minor Degrees in Creative Writing, Art, and Architectural Design

Now I know there are many jobs in Imagineering... But I want to do some much in Imagineering. I want to help with street shows, design attractions, come up with resort ideas, and more!
    My Question is: As an Imagineer, are you confined to one duty? Or do you get to work in many subjects revolving on what you know?

Also, any other advice on college degrees?

• I see mouse people

Blog Entries

Re: Question about Imagineering.

You'll find a number of threads on this subject here on MiceChat. Do a search and prepare to do some reading. :-)

Good luck with your studies and career and welcome to Mice Chat!

• The Study of Wumbo

I'll point you towards Lou Mongello's WDW Radio Show podcast, as he has had a good couple of episodes in a series where he interviews current Imagineers on their story.

I find myself in a similar situation as yourself and I've gathered that you should follow what you love doing, what you're good at and feel passionate about. That can take you to Imagineering.

For instance, (reading list from "The Imagineering Field Guide to ___): Like to draw? Show Design and Illustration. Like to write? Show Writing.

Architecture. Interior Design. Engineering. Lighting. Graphic Design. Prop Design. Sound Design. Media Design. Landscape Architecture. Show Set Design. Character Paint. Character Plaster. Dimensional Design [Sculpting.] Fabrication Design [figuring out how to do all that^.] Special Effects [very broad.] Production Design, Master Planning. Research & Development. Management. Maybe even a hundred more. And that's not even going into the workings of the parks and resorts themselves, or entertainment.

I don't know about how flexible these "positions" are, but I know they do have these brainstorming sessions, and those might just be Imagineers from all backgrounds.

Sorry, but I guess the best advice to follow is to follow your passions and chase the dream! Maybe you and I will both be working there someday.
    -Hale (wumbology)

a.k.a. h2mc, omnimover.mousetalgia, omnimover, wumbology, hogbackmtn, hhmcsharry, Hale M., h2m, h2mc

(I've never visited Disneyland Resort, Tokyo Disney Resort, Disneyland Resort Paris, nor Hong Kong Disneyland Resort, so don't be fooled when I pretend to know what I'm talking about. [But I'm pretty good with the information, if I do say so myself. And you can hit me all you want with Walt Disney World.])

• wanderlust

A very very good family friend of mine is an Imagineer at Disneyland and it is really hard to say what type of schooling you need to go on your way to become an imagineer. Some of the imagineers haven't even graduated high school, some have their masters degree, some are lawyers, some used to be entertainers, etc. My friend would do multiple things in the imagineering department and was never confided to one section although since he doesn't have an engineering background he obviously wouldn't do anything that required that knowledge.
    All this has happened before, and it will all happen again. But this time it happened in London. It happened on a quiet street in Bloomsbury. That corner house over there is the home of the Darling family. And Peter Pan chose this particular house because there were people here who believed in him.