• Former Cast Member

Cottonwood church.......

Has anyone been ot Cottonwood Church in Los Alamitos?? If so, what is it like there??? Tomorrow, we are having services for Marvin Marker, former director of the Long Beach Jr. Concert Band. I hear it is a huge church and beautiful too. If anyone knows, please chime in. Thanks

• I see mouse people

Blog Entries

Re: Cottonwood church.......

Aww...I didn't know Marvin had died. I haven't been to the church, but you can check out their website at:

Welcome to Cottonwood

• Former Cast Member

Thanks a lot. It still is a shock for all the band members, including myself, that he is gone. I had marched in the Belmont Shores parade on Dec. 5 with my drum line and got a chance to chat with Marvin, shook his hand and wished him luck that night with the band. Next day my drum line marched in the Downey parade, took 1st place and what ruined our celebration is when we found out that he collapsed, after retreiving his luggage at the Denver airport. He was taken to the hospital, where they could not revive him. His body was just brought about a week ago, due to legal issues. Marvin had no family and willed everything to the Salvation Army. Truly sad. He was like a father figure to me when my dad passed away and this hit a lot of people very hard. HIs family were all the kids that passed through his band for over 50 years.

• I see mouse people

Blog Entries

Yes, he devoted his entire life to the band. I met him a few times and had a few friends in the band. That's very sad news indeed.

Are you in the LBJCB or wi th another group?

• Former Cast Member

I perform with LBJCB as alumni when the time allows me to do so, usually for the Xmas season. The band has dwindled down to nothing over the past few years, usually averaging 30 people, including flags and pageantry. The drum section is usually the biggest section of the group. It is not the same when I first got into the band in 1977. It was huge back then. I remember taking 6 busses to parades, now it is only one bus for everyone. I was in, off and on, for about 4 years as a regular member and have participated in quite a few alumni gigs. Over the years a bunch of us have been playing in a drum section, LBRSR, that was established in 1984 and just recently celebrated our 25 year anniversary. Once I started with the style of drumming, famous for LBJCB, I could never get it out of my system and hope to play for as long as my body will allow. This past August, we had a drummer reunion (for LBJCB) at Bolsa Chica Beach, where we had over 80 drummers, from all the different era's, playing in two huge circle ups. It was awesome. We have been doing this for the past 7 years now. The next one is in July. HOw did you know Marvin?? Where you in marching band??

It is funny, first Roger Ward from Santa Ana Winds and now Marvin, who were both big competitiors of each other. I wonder what it is like now, up in heaven with the two of them reunited.

• I see mouse people

Blog Entries

It seems that bands and drum corps have dwindled across the country. My husband was in a drum corps in NJ for years, and they have trouble getting enough people to stay afloat.

I'd like to have seen/heard that reunion, it must have been amazing.

I was never in LBJCB, I had a friend or two take me to some practice nights, etc. but I didn't end up joining. I met Marvin then, I really can't say I 'knew' him. I was in marching band at Wilson High.

• Former Cast Member

Oh really a bruin eh??? lol What year did you graduate? I know a lot of the Long Beach schools were feeders into LBJCB. Marvin actually graduated from Wilson too. I know a lot of the LB school bands have dwindled to, not only in numbers, but in quality too. I grew up in Downey and went to Warren HIgh and he had a decent band, not huge, but good. If I could do it all over again, I would have wished ot have gone ot either Lakewood or Wilson, because both had great bands and drum sections. All the LB drum sections used to be syncopated which was great until rudimental came along and that is something I have never been fond of, although I played it during one semester in the Long Beach State band. But for me, it is syncopated all the way, it is a crowd pleaser and pumps them up. At the 3 Xmas parades we marched this past December, we had the biggest section for LBRSR in our 25 year history. We marched 15 snares, 9 tenors, 5 basses and 3 cymbals, so you can imagine the noise we made. You are more than welcome to come watch us at the reunion this coming July, anyone can come down. Keep in touch with me and I will let you know the exact date, when it gets closer. If you go on youtube, and type in LBJCB Drummer reunion, you will find several videos of the event. Also type in LBRSR at the Galaxy Theater and you will see the group I belong to in action, there are several videos of us, also including a gig at the CSULB Pyramid basketball halftime we performed at. Enjoy and let me know what you think after watching them.