Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Incognito

Blog Entries

Family generations: a death of one of mine

Not a lot of good news from the O-nut today. Sorry folks, just looking to be a little contemplative is all.

I got home from D-land last night to find a message from my mom saying my aunt had died. She'd been ill with alzheimers for years and quickly went downhill the past few days. I really didnt know her all that well, I hadnt seen her in 10/11 years as she lived in Iowa. I'm sad to a degree. I guess I'm sadder at the end of a generation in my family.

See, she was the last aunt of mine alive. Blood relative aunt that is as I still have aunts and uncles by marriage still around. Anyway she was the last of 10 siblings of my dads alive (my moms only brother died nearly 10 years ago). So it's kinda weird having this chapter in my families geneology close.

The older I get the more in tune with these things I become; life and death, beginnings and ends. My last grandparent alive died when I was 7 so I wasnt aware of it then. A new generation started when my first niece was born but I was 9 so that didnt make me aware. But when my niece had her first kid in 1996, thats when I started to see the beginnings of new generations. And now I stand seeing the end of one. Its strange, and sad, but that's life isn't it? Lifes so full of beginnings and ends, some events just seem to stand out. Maybe its because I was close to many of my aunts and uncles that this event seems poingnant. I dunno. I'm musing.

Anyway, am I the only one that reads too deep into lifes beginnings and ends? Do any of you stand and contemplate your families roots, and generations?

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

Re: Family generations: a death of one of mine

I am sorry for your loss and I know what you mean about losing generations. I just recently tracked the mother side of the family through Ellis Island, it was really cool. My great grandmother came over with 5 children in tow by herself. My great grandfather was already here. They had 11 children between them and some of them died before she came over. It's sad because the only remaining members of that line is my Uncle and he had a daughter, so its the end of that line unfortunately.

• <3

Lost Bar - It's where we come together in true DMCA style.
    Blog Entries

O-nut, I'm so sorry to hear about your Aunt. Your family has my condolences.

You aren't the only one, there are many of us. I remember my husband's Grandfather dying and then his brother dying not even a month later and that was the last of their generation. I didn't know them well but it makes you stop and think.

I just got a letter from my Grandmother on Saturday. She just returned from Hawaii from her 50th high school reunion - 50th! So, she got to spend time with my Great-Grandmother. How many people can say they still have a Great-Grandmother alive when they are in their 30's? Even better and more rare, this means my 3 daughters have their Great-Great-Grandmother still alive! She lives in Hawaii, so they haven't met her yet, because getting 5 people to Hawaii isn't an easy feat. We are planning to go in 2007 for our 10 year anniversary and I can only pray that she is still alive to meet them and for them to meet. I have only met her once, myself.

If you ask me, family - both close and distant - is where it's at.

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth."
    Mark Twain

• Banned User

I am truly sorry for your loss o-nut. Prayers to you and your family today .

• loves a silver lining

Blog Entries

Oh O-Nut what a day you've had I'm sorry for you loss.

Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

• MiceChat Moderator
    • It's SisterP Time!

Blog Entries

O-Nut, I'm so sorry for your loss. My thoughts and condolences go out to you and your family.

I'm not really close with my family. It makes me feel cut off - but my immediate family is a bit dysfuntional - which really turned me off to building family ties.
    My hubby's family is very small - but his grandmother (95) still lives in her own apt here in town. My son, is lucky, grandparents and a great grandma!

The town we live in is riddled with my mother's relatives. I've really enjoyed getting to see how their history fits in with the history of the area. My great grandfather was called the Potato King in MT!!

• most magical vaca ever

Very sorry to hear of your loss O-nut. When my grandmother past away last Christmas it was the end of that generation in our family. She was 91 and it just feels so sad to see them all gone now. Even though it's a part of life it still saddens us all....

My prayers are with you and your family
    ~~~~~~

• e komo mai

Sorry about your Aunt.

Hang in there.

• I'm your huckleberry.

I'm really sorry to hear about your aunt O-nut.

• The Unknown Princess

I'm sorry for your loss. My condolences to you and your family.
    Always keep smiling because you never know who is falling in love with it.
    --------------------------------------------------------
    Part of the Disney Ohana

--------------------------------------------------------

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Olympicnut
    Not a lot of good news from the O-nut today. Sorry folks, just looking to be a little contemplative is all.

I got home from D-land last night to find a message from my mom saying my aunt had died. She'd been ill with alzheimers for years and quickly went downhill the past few days. I really didnt know her all that well, I hadnt seen her in 10/11 years as she lived in Iowa. I'm sad to a degree. I guess I'm sadder at the end of a generation in my family.

See, she was the last aunt of mine alive. Blood relative aunt that is as I still have aunts and uncles by marriage still around. Anyway she was the last of 10 siblings of my dads alive (my moms only brother died nearly 10 years ago). So it's kinda weird having this chapter in my families geneology close.

The older I get the more in tune with these things I become; life and death, beginnings and ends. My last grandparent alive died when I was 7 so I wasnt aware of it then. A new generation started when my first niece was born but I was 9 so that didnt make me aware. But when my niece had her first kid in 1996, thats when I started to see the beginnings of new generations. And now I stand seeing the end of one. Its strange, and sad, but that's life isn't it? Lifes so full of beginnings and ends, some events just seem to stand out. Maybe its because I was close to many of my aunts and uncles that this event seems poingnant. I dunno. I'm musing.

Anyway, am I the only one that reads too deep into lifes beginnings and ends? Do any of you stand and contemplate your families roots, and generations?
    Sorry to hear about your loss! Tough day for you, to say the least! Hopefully sharing your grief on this board will ease some of your pain.

• MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Always watching...

I'm so sorry on the loss of your Aunt O-nut .

It's tough watching your immediate family shrink. My brother and I are the last of the my father's side of the family and since neither of us has kids, it's sad to realize that we are the end of a family line .

• Waiting for the stork

O-nut, hugs to you, I am so sorry about your loss.. my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.
    procrastibating

• Earth Intruder

I'm sorry to hear about your aunt Matt... Hopefully she's in a better place now, than having to deal with alzheimers.

Yes, life is full of beginnings and ends. You just have to roll with the punches, cuz it ain't easy (and never will be). The only thing to do is try and live each day to the best of your ability and have a frickin amazing time once in a while that makes it all worth it. Like last nite at the park ((hugs))
    I am grateful... grapefruit! ~ Bjork (upon winning Best International Female Artist at the BRIT Awards)

Founding Member of the BA!

• Again! Again! Again!

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss, Matt. My heart goes out to you and your family!
    Founding member of the B.A. I LOVE US!!
    FratSor Sister-Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ
    I bring the magic!!!
    "If all my friends were to jump off a bridge, I wouldn't jump with them, I'd be at the bottom to catch them"
    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend DMother
    Girl bonding is just so necessary. It's just as important as "me" time. A good girl bonding session leaves you feeling so refreshed. I think of it as a NEED vs a want. There are just things that you need to talk to other women with. You may have the best relationship in the world with your husband, but there are just times you need your girlfriends. It makes for a healthier and happier you which makes everything else you do better.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast