Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Banned User

Scrapbooking, where do I begin??

My Rachal wants to do this, so I got her the 7 megapixel camera, the scrap books, inserts etc. I am at a loss as to what all she needs and where to begin!
    I spent a fortune this weekend on the stuff for her christmas but am not sure what else is needed. please, all you scrapbookers, tell me what I need, where to go for help etc. I know she will be thrilled as she loves albums, but I am not sure whats needed as I never did one. I always got the pre made ones LOL!

• For old time sake

Re: Scrapbooking, where do I begin??

Take a class at your Local Scrapbook store. That is the best way to get started
    Katie
    Founding member of the BA I LOVE us!!!
    FIGHT ON!!!!!!

• most magical vaca ever

Oh Karla thanks for starting this thread!!! I have done scrapbooking over the years but I became to overwhelmed with all the choices and stopped doing it. My daughter went to a scrapbooking party a few weeks ago and she is hooked on this. We went to the Rag Shop & AC Moore and picked out some papers and precut templates but yeah I feel that there are so many things you need to get started that I don't know where to begin! My mother bought me a started kit years ago from QVC and I luckily kept most of it so I'll let her play with that but if anyone else here can suggest a great starter kit or any other bits of advice it would be great
    ~~~~~~

• MiceChat Moderator
    • It's SisterP Time!

Blog Entries

Completely agree with the class.
    Its easy to get overwhelmed and spend alot of money before you understand what you like and what you need.
    Start small and you can add on as the interest progresses!
    Have fun with it - I love it - it makes me feel very accomplished to finish a book.

• Scentsy Minion

Blog Entries

YAY! a scrapbooking thread!! ok, I work at a scrapbooking store so here goes...the easiest way to get started with scrapbooking is yes, to take a class, but also to just have the basics like the album, a few decorative papers, a few plain colored papers, adhesive, a paper cutter of some kind (scissors or actual paper trimmers-if you want one of these look into the Fiskars brand) a few embellishments, and pictures. Once you have all this stuff, really all you have to do is sit down with it and just work around the pictures until you like what you see. It's usually easier to start scrapping pictures of an event that happened recently and that you have quite a few of (say 10ish). The key to getting started is not getting overwhelmed with all of the products that are out there today (i've been at the store for 3 years and I still get "deer in the headlights eyes" when some of the new products come in!) Also, grab some magazines. there are dozens of different scrapbooking magazines that all have different focuses... i like "Simple Scrapbooking" because they tend to keep it on the side of "i'm a normal scrapbooker, not Becky Higgins!! (Becky's like the goddess of all things scrapbooking)" If there isn't a class available, even just go into the store and tell them what your project is and they should be more than happy to help you-we have customers come in all the time who have never scrapped a day in their life and we help them gather everything they need to get started. Heck, we like it when they bring the album back to show us what they've done!! So, that's pretty much it, and have fun!!

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • with sprinkles, please

Blog Entries

Start with your current photos and work your way back through your old photos. Or have various themed books, which is what I do, and then you don't have to be as meticulous about scrapping everything. I have a birthday book for my son, a vacation book for family trips, and a Disneyland book (naturally).

Don't get too obsessed with products yet, and remember that you can always add stickers and embellishments later when you happen to come across The Perfect Thing for your page.

The magazines are great for ideas, but simple is usually better.
    A signature should go here.

I have been scrapbooking for years now. Here is the short list of what you will need to get started:
    Album(I use 12x12)postbound or strap bound
    paper(same size as the album)cardstock works great also
    adhesive(I use creative moments tape runner)
    paper and photo cutter(also use creative moments one)
    stickers themed to the photos you are scrapping
    and pens

make sure all of your supplies are acid and lignen free
    Scrapbooking is great because you can go simple or very elaborate. Fell free to pm me if you have a specific question.

• Banned User

Yeah!!! I am so glad to see you ladies are well seasoned in this!!! I loked every where for scrapbooking classes, none here and the local arts andcrafts store is lame to say the least. I am going to have to really look hard and see if there is any classes around for this and send her. She got her camera today ( acually I did ) and its pretty nice. I will let her get 100 pictures a month from snap fish developed and she can scrap book all she wants. I got her 4 albums, 12x12, and 3 smaller ones. I got all the paper to fit each one and some embelishments like stickers, letters, foam cut outs, funky scissors,tags. I need to look into the glue or tape to lay this stuff down, and also a paper cutter. I hope these are not expensive!
    I look forward to some great idea's. do you ladys have pictures of your albums and pages I can look at ? I am excited now!! I went to the dollar store and they had tons of paper and such for the albums. She will be thrilled!

• MiceChat Moderator
    • It's SisterP Time!

Blog Entries

hakuna makarla - the scrapbook store in helena has lots of classes, specialized and beginning. Might be a good day trip during the holidays. Let me know if you're interested and I'll see if I can hook you up with a schedule.

The ladies at this store are great!

• Scentsy Minion

Blog Entries

Pictures of some of my pages....
    this is from "a few of my favorite things" mini-album
    http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b5...0-24-05043.jpg
    one of my earlier pages using colorblocking, my 19th birthday
    http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b5...0-24-05036.jpg
    from a wedding gift album i'm working on
    http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b5...0-24-05057.jpg
    another one from that wedding album
    http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b5...0-24-05066.jpg
    one of my favorites, it's just so plain and simple!
    http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b5...0-24-05044.jpg
    one of my favorites also for the simplicity, but also because it's from disneyland!!
    http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b5...0-24-05054.jpg
    enjoy!!

• no flash photography...

I do scrapbooking lite....I don't do it ofthen though...it's to time consuming and I feel like I'm in kindergarten again pasting and cutting...LOL...I do like how the pages turn out when I'm done. I just don't have the attention span or interest to do it all the time. . I did get some cute scrapbooking stuff at DL, but I haven't used most of it yet...LOL...I love looking at the pages other people do. Some are so eleborate...and beautiful......mine look a bit grade school...LOL

see...the above pages are great!! mine are not quite like that...LOL

• Gay Man

My scrapbooking is VERY basic. I am more intent on telling a story than I am about all of the decoration. I always scrap on black pages and use simple papers and vellum for backgrounds or sometimes papers I've picked up while traveling. The look and feel of the pages supports the story. I will either print text on my printer or write in simple inks or, ocassionally, metalics. But, I don't do much more. I don't have the patience for it.

• Winter in Oceanside...

My advice, Karla, is just do it. Don't worry about being perfect and looking like a magazine. The more you do, the better you'll get! That said, for color choices, I'd look at the colors in the photos to get you started. Like if someone was wearing a red sweater, then use red for the matting and find a color or pattern paper that matches with the red.

Oh, and if you get the DIY channel, they have a show called Scrapbooking. Or go to DIYnetwork.com.

MissChristine: Beautiful pages!!

• Scentsy Minion

Blog Entries

Thanks PrincessY! Good advice too, picking up certain colors in the photos and then using those colors for the papers really creates a great color unity in your page. Also, there are a million scrapbooking websites out there where all people do are create pages and post them. just search around and i'm sure you'll find something that'll help.

• Gay Man

MissChristine, I really like the simplicity and graphic attractnivness of your "sisters" page. Very nice!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast