Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Infinitized!

So what do you think of NASA's future?

So what do you guys think of NASA's future with all the budget stuff today and the Constellation program being canceled?

Enjoy the last few Shuttle launches this year as it looks like humans won't be leaving North American soil for space anytime soon.

With that said, Endeavour is heading up on Sunday as part of STS-130.

• Goofy

Re: So what do you think of NASA's future?

its too bad, but budget cuts are budget cuts.

•   
    • Sponge & A Rusty Spanner

It's good to send people to the moon and explore other planets, but we need them to measure ice right now.
    Fight On! Beat the Bulldogs!

Tom Chaney Memorial Debate Lounge Quote of the Week:

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Speaking of "drive-by" my cousin just became the new drummer for -Train-
    This device kills fascists.

• Knows Where His Towel Is

*sigh* looks like there won't be any USS Enterprise in my lifetime...

INTERGALACTIC WRITER FOR THE HITCHHIKER'S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY
    HOOPY FROODS:thinkingofdisney11, DisneyIzz, A113, dmtnt55, MikeSkellington, zephr, Incrediboy, JungleCruiseFan, PerformerInWaiting, MainStreetJake, The Disneylander, littleactressann, DapperJoshua, padgerfan, SS77, DisneyLove, GummiBears_Rock, fangalicious44, animekiti4christ, *disneyprincess*, monorailorange33, Colorized, iskategoofy, stevo505, mandypandy, williamtheking, CaptainEO,Atis, firebolt413, cocoa, WendyInWonderland, ICe101, itsxxdomoxxkun, esquivel

FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER!
    ASK ME ANYTHING! :: FORMSPRING.ME
    FOLLOW MY BLOG: <>

• Banned User

I am hoping that the money saved by cancelling the nasa program will go towards a more useful purpose which includes medical research to cure diseases that we dont have cures for such as CANCER, AUTISM, EPILEPSY, and other medical problems that we dont yet have cures for, such as aids, cystic fybrosis, paralysis, emphysema,

• I'm not really here

I'm actually really kind of excited about this. This is a refocusing and repurposing of NASA. Not only will the Constellation and Ares budgets get repurposed, but overall NASA is getting an additional $6 billion over five years. That's a double whammy of money. Much of it has been designated as research money. Research is something NASA does better than just about anyone. The budget specifies that NASA is to research and develop new propulsion methods, new ways to get into space, new ways to travel in space, IN ORBIT refueling methods, etc. NASA has been using the same technique to get to space that they have been using since the very beginning. It's time to start looking for better ways. Once in space there are more efficient ways to travel. Ion drives for one have seen only minimal testing and use yet they are incredibly efficient and powerful for long duration space missions (like New Horizons for example).

I think it is time for NASA to take a moment, pause in what they are doing and re-evaluate how they do things. It's time to think outside the box and come up with radical new solutions. Kind of how the Space Shuttle itself was a massive departure from the norm. We need a new radical departure from the norm. If anyone can do it, it is NASA. Especially if properly focused by freeing up all their budgets and people to work on these new things.

The budget also specified money for lunar / martian missions to further scout for future landing sites and bases, so going back to the Moon and on to Mars are not dead, just postponed so we can find better ways than Apollo tech to get us there.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Knight of Naughtyness

Quote Originally Posted by disneyfan07 View Post
    I am hoping that the money saved by cancelling the nasa program will go towards a more useful purpose which includes medical research to cure diseases that we dont have cures for such as CANCER, AUTISM, EPILEPSY, and other medical problems that we dont yet have cures for, such as aids, cystic fybrosis, paralysis, emphysema,
    More useful? Are you not aware of the many things that you enjoy in life made possible by the space program?
    -Osky

Before we totally disregard extremism; lets remember the lesson of the 3 little pigs.

The moderate pig lost his house to the wolf too
    .-- .. .-.. .-.. / .- -. -.-- --- -. . / -... --- - .... . .-. / - --- / - .-. .- -. ... .-.. .- - . / - .... .. ... ..--..

• Infinitized!

Quote Originally Posted by Osky View Post
    More useful? Are you not aware of the many things that you enjoy in life made possible by the space program?
    Ya, like Tang!

• I'm not really here

Quote Originally Posted by disneyfan07 View Post
    Much medical research has been done by NASA in space. There are things they can do up there to study protein folding and the shapes molecules assume that can't be done down here on Earth. NASA has done more to advance the human race than any other agency, period.

The money from Constellation and Ares is not being taken from NASA at all. The programs are simply being canceled. The money stays within NASA and is being re-purposed for Earth orbit testing of new technologies. On top of that NASA is getting an increase of $6 billion dollars over 5 years for further research into new forms of propulsion, new Low Earth Orbit satellites for Earth sensing missions, lunar and martian missions, etc. These missions will require new technologies, new procedures, new materials, new science that will make life better on Earth.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Pilot EdForceOne

I think its a sad day... I think having big objectives is part of the way of ensuring your work is aligned and motivated. Sure they may have more money.. but if it's split over 10,000 different things it's going to dillute everything into just static.

The beauty of a larger goal is you develop all the inbetween steps to get there - not just the end goal itself.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Refugee from a island

Quote Originally Posted by The Disneylander View Post
    *sigh* looks like there won't be any USS Enterprise in my lifetime...
    Sure you will, it just floats instead of flies.

I think NASA will survive. As mentioned, a lot of great stuff has come about as a result of a our space programs. If we can get the everything else back on track, NASA will continue to explore.

Quote Originally Posted by Second Star View Post
    Sure you will, it just floats instead of flies.
    I was going to post the same thing. The current USS Enterprise has eight, count 'em, eight fission reactors. No, it won't do warp speed. But it is the fastest ship in the US fleet and probably among the fastest ships in the world.

I think it's a bummer NASA got their budget cut. The entire NASA budget is a very tiny fraction of the US budget and they do a lot with it.

Did you see yesterday that Iran sent up a rocket with a turtle, a rat, and some worms?

• Infinitized!

We need warp drive. When is Zefram Cochrane going to be born?

• Down Pluto!

Quote Originally Posted by 3894 View Post
    Did you see yesterday that Iran sent up a rocket with a turtle, a rat, and some worms?

We're waiting for the punchline...

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast