•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Mickey and 'Key

Blog Entries

Has anyone flown with Unassigned seats?

Ok... I got airfare however we have no seats!! Well, 1 of 4 seats are assigned and the rest say unavailable and there are none shown as available on the seat map.

Do we actually have seats or did they sell us tickets knowing there were no seats available? Are we screwed?

And yes, I did try calling to ask... the 800 number keeps saying "all circuits are busy" and the local number returns a busy signal. Frustrating.

Now I remember why i don't fly the big guys anymore. (Even though this is a tiny plane, which is why its full up. Stupid airline industry!)
    Last edited by NeverNeverland; 02-11-2010 at 04:08 PM.
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Arizona's own

Blog Entries

Re: Where can I get cheap last minute airfare?

Southwest airlines has a big sale right now.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Mickey and 'Key

Blog Entries

Unfortunatly, the cheap rates are all sold out for when i need to go, and they only fly to the secondary airport, so their rates end up being only a little cheaper than flying into the better airport. Totally sucks.
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain

• Boat shoes all day long

Just about all the major airlines have sales going right now. Some sites even cater to last minute tickets, one-way flights etc.

I am pretty much only flying SWA and Virgin America now, but if you look at Vacation Deals and Travel Specials by BookIt.com® they might have something for ya!
    "Let's get weird" -Abraham Lincoln

•   
    • Daffy about Disneyland

Blog Entries

I have been watching airfares to California for July, and they are almost twice what I wish they were. I can only hope they will go down in a month or so. I flew into Santa Ana the last two trips, and I prefer that. Flying into LAX is a little more of a hassle. Coming from Chicago, I always fly direct. So I guess I keep checking airfares every day, and hope for the best.
    My Next Disneyland Vacation - ​May 29, 2014 - June 5, 2014

My Next WDW Vacation is Aug 18, 2014 - Aug 23, 2014
    Pop Century Resort

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Mickey and 'Key

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BoygunaSurf View Post
    Just about all the major airlines have sales going right now. Some sites even cater to last minute tickets, one-way flights etc.

I am pretty much only flying SWA and Virgin America now, but if you look at Vacation Deals and Travel Specials by BookIt.com® they might have something for ya!
    Thank you! I'll check that out. Maybe 2 one way tickets might be the way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Barbaraann View Post
    I have been watching airfares to California for July, and they are almost twice what I wish they were. I can only hope they will go down in a month or so. I flew into Santa Ana the last two trips, and I prefer that. Flying into LAX is a little more of a hassle. Coming from Chicago, I always fly direct. So I guess I keep checking airfares every day, and hope for the best.
    Thanks for the reply, but I'm not sure how it helps? Unfortunately, my aunt didn't give us a few months notice that she was going to pass nor did my uncle decide to wait a few months to memorialize her I usually plan ahead, but sometimes life doesn't let you. Thanks for the reply though.
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

It's off topic I realize, but I just wanted to offer you my sincere condolences and thoughts/prayers on the death of your aunt.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Mickey and 'Key

Blog Entries

Thanks Barry. Sorry,I am going kinda crazy over here.
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Mickey and 'Key

Blog Entries

Re: Has anyone flown with Unassigned seats?

see above... we have tickets but no seats, and now I am freaking out. Any help would be appreciated!
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

It's not a problem at all. Get to the airport early and you'll have a much better selection.

•   

Most airlines, with the exception of JetBlue (and maybe a few others), intentionally oversell their seats on a regular basis. They know from years and years of experience that a certain percentage will always cancel or change their travel plans. The fact that you don't have seats now means very little. Here are some things to help ease your mind about this. It details the order in which seats are filled on any given flight, for the most part.
    One - there could be numerous seats available to frequent fliers, but you can't see them since you may not be a frequent flier on that airline. For example, on Delta, the exit rows and some seats up front are reserved for Medallion members only. A person with a normal SkyMiles account would never see them as available, even when checking in at the airport and even if the plane was practically empty.
    Two - within an hour of the departure time, the gate agent will start to check the flight. They will look at the number of seats sold vs. the number of check-ins and begin to assign those hidden seats to those holding seat request cards, which in this case is you.
    Three - ten minutes before departure all reservations not already checked in and on board the plane will be cancelled. Those seats will be assigned to anyone who does not have a seat yet.
    Four - any first class seats not filled will go to frequent fliers not already upgraded, and then to people who paid full fare.
    Five - if there are still more reservations than seats, a call for volunteers will be made. Actually, if it looks like this will happen, they will begin calling for volunteers once the gate agent arrives.
    Six - If they still can not find enough volunteers, they will deny boarding based on those who checked in last and/or those who had the cheapest seats.

So, the fact that you have no seat right now is nothing to worry about. As a safeguard, be sure to check in two hours early. That way there will be no chance they deny boarding based on your check in time.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • State sponsored cyclist

If the airline has online check in (who doesn't nowadays?), do it as soon as it's available, and you will get printable boarding passes with the seats assigned.
    Have bicycle, will ride. Finished 2012 with 10,089 miles, 683 hours, and 482,000 feet of elevation gain.
    2013: 201 rides, 8171 miles, 544 hours, 480K feet.

• Found my prince!

Nothing to worry about. I fly 2 or 3 weeks a month and several times I dont have seats until I check in. Most airlines let you check in 24 hours before you depart. If you cant get a seat assigment when you check in 24 hour prior get to the airport early. If you are flying with someone there is a good chance you wont be together. Keep checking daily on line for your seats. As your flight gets closer seats will start to open up.

• no flash photography...

Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post
    It's not a problem at all. Get to the airport early and you'll have a much better selection.
    I agree^

We used to fly southwest all the time withour assigned seats. We just got there early to ensure we had our choice once the boarding started.

•   
    • Sponge & A Rusty Spanner

I only have trouble with the "no assigned seats" arrangement when I fly Delta.
    Fight On! Beat the Bulldogs!

Tom Chaney Memorial Debate Lounge Quote of the Week:

Quote Originally Posted by Motorboat Cruiser View Post
    Did you also call out Anthony Hopkins for not being a cannibal in real life?
    This device kills fascists.