Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

I just got braces

Yup. I'm not a teenager, but I just got my first set of robot teeth. It's been pretty lousy this first week and I haven't been able to eat very much. (i'm starving as I type this).

Anyone else have them right now? How long do you have em for? What have you been eating?

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• or CBF

Re: I just got braces

I have them. I've had them for (I'm not kidding) 9 years. I've had two jaw reconstruction surgeries that have made me keep my braces.

I remember it was the summer of '01 when they got put in, because my family and I went to DCA that year.

BTW, I eat just about anything now. It'll get better. Trust me, I know.
    MHTSEIAHTECTESVEIBIECSETR

Find me on:Facebook / Twitter
    (Send me a message saying you are from MC)

• Banned User

they are worth it in the end. i got mine right before 8th grade started. got them off half way through junior year of high school. yep -- 3.5 years. it wasn't fun, but my teeth are nice and straight now well, take that back -- they couldn't get them perfect because my teeth were stubborn. i didn't ever drink soda, simply because i wanted to see how long i can go without it. five years and counting!

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Holy crap 9 years. That's a long time! Dentist tells me mine is a six month procedure which is the only reason I agreed to it.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Pilot EdForceOne

I had mine well into college until I basically said 'take 'em off' and the doc had given up at that point

6 months sounds pretty optimistic. What type of correction are they doing?

I feel for ya... they suck. But once you get used to it, they don't interfere with eating on a regular basis...
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Disappearing/Reappearing

yeah...the first week is the hardest. After that, the only time they hurt is right after adjustments. You should start eating really soft stuff, like bread. Sure, it'll hurt...but, you'll be able to work your way up from bread to every you've ever eaten..and be back to normal in no time.

I had them for 4 years. My husband had them for 3.

•   
    • RCMC: Java Junkie

I had them for 4 years myself when I was a teenager, gosh that was so long ago. As for true length of time of having them on?? That depends on you're procedure and what the orthodontist is trying to achieve for you. Everything is a guesstimation, they don't know if your teeth and gums are going to be stubborn or not and they can only go off of what the average is. But if you were told 6 months I'm sure its just something simple and they'll be off in no time. For me, they gave my parents the estimation of 3 to 4 years and it was that amount of time.

As for the pain, remember your teeth haven't had any restriction all this time and now they do. It'll get less and less as each day goes by, it may not seem like it, but it will. It usually takes about a week, sorry but you have to suffer that first week. After that, its only when they make adjustments that involve tightening and even then it will only hurt for a day or two. After your initial week you will be eating anything again. Just stick with soft foods for the next few days especially, and after that you can try others and see how it goes.

• "Always On The Move..."

Quote Originally Posted by caesarboxfan View Post
    I have them. I've had them for (I'm not kidding) 9 years. I've had two jaw reconstruction surgeries that have made me keep my braces.

I)
    Wow! You beat me, I had mine 7 years. They put me in an "experimental" type of retainer that didn't work and my teeth all went back to as before. Thus, I had to start the whole process over again.

But, it does get better. Hang in there!
    Quote Originally Posted by migo View Post
    I poop with joy!
    Best Quote...EVER!!!

Member of the Black Cat Owners Association #6

• Pilot EdForceOne

I don't even know how long I had mine.. I just kind of remember starting in high school era.. and kept them for at least one year in more in College.

The good thing was it was a great medical excuse to have a car at college.. as freshmen were not allowed to have cars by default

Am I evil? yes, I am

•   
    • Sponge & A Rusty Spanner

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    I don't even know how long I had mine.. I just kind of remember starting in high school era.. and kept them for at least one year in more in College.

The good thing was it was a great medical excuse to have a car at college.. as freshmen were not allowed to have cars by default
    Why couldn't freshmen have cars at your college? And why did having braces get you out of that rule?
    Fight On! Beat the Bulldogs!

Tom Chaney Memorial Debate Lounge Quote of the Week:

Speaking of "drive-by" my cousin just became the new drummer for -Train-
    This device kills fascists.

• no flash photography...

I had them for four years and had to wear three different head gears as well as having my pallet (roof of my mouth) split opened and widened. The most painful procedure was when my pallet broke. I can't describe the pain. I have a permanent retainer glued to my bottom teeth (on the inside) . My daughter has a permanent retainer glued to the inside of her upper teeth. I think she had braces for two years.

I started having procedures when I was in 4th grade and they had the braces off by the time I was in high school.

Anyway, as far as normal braces go....if you eat right after having them tightened or the band changed you'll be good. After a few hours you won't be able to eat anything except soup.

• Mrs. J. Depp

You got braces?? I have to see a picture of this! Was the Invisalign route non applicable because my aunt had really crooked teeth and she has Invisalign and her teeth look amazing now.
    I myself had braces for close to 2 years. 7th through 9th grade. The first few weeks were so painful. We took a class trip to Medieval Times and I couldn't even eat the food. When I got them put on, that was the first time I had swallowed an Advil in my life, but the pain was so bad. And then the wires that would stick out...I always had to use wax. It will get better. Just the initial few weeks will be tough. Hang in there!

Facebook me!
    Join in the Disney fun at MyVMK!

• formerly PretzelSouls!

I had braces from February 18th, 2007 till March 2009. The first week is the worst, and after that the only time it's really a pain is after adjustments. Whenever you go to the orthodontist, you might want to take some aspirin since they'll be tugging a little on your teeth making them more sore. Also, try to stay away from soda and stuff with dye in it, no matter what - you'll probably have a little staining or white marks around where the brackets were once you get your braces off. If your brackets are cutting your mouth up, your orthodontist should be able to give you some wax to use...if not, you can always buy it at a place like WalGreens.
    "Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined." -Henry David Thoreau

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by steamboatpete View Post
    Why couldn't freshmen have cars at your college?
    Dunno if I ever heard a solid justification.. just on-campus freshmen were not eligible for parking permits unless you had a medical exception. In my case its because I had to drive to my doctor for my regular appointments which was about 40mins away.

Am I evil? yes, I am

• no flash photography...

[QUOTE=PretzelSouls;1055819296Also, try to stay away from soda and stuff with dye in it, no matter what - you'll probably have a little staining or white marks around where the brackets were once you get your braces off. [/QUOTE]

I ate and drank everything they told me not to and I never had a broken band or staining, but I did spend a large amount of time brushing my teeth. I did not want staining. I did not cut back on soda at all and the bands never came off or got loose.

I've had the glued in retainer on since I was 14 and it still hasn't come loose.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast