Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Gay Man

Sad Charlie the Lonesome Sweetheart

Charlie the cat appeared one day out of the blue. He must've known that our house was cat-friendly and that he wouldn't be lonesome if he hung out around here. Chris said he looked like a Cougar, so we dubbed him Charlie. I don't know where he came from or why he was here, but he was loving, talkitive and very friendly - and hungry. If I see a starving cat, I will help it out. Charlie ate with gusto and stayed.

Now, I don't like kitties outdoors. There are scary things outside like racoons, possoms, other mean cats and cars, so I asked Charlie if he wanted to be an indoor cat. He looked at me with his big head and seemed to say yes, so I made a vet appointment.

I always wish cats could talk so I could find out where they came from, what they had been through and what their life had been like. Charlie was such a sweet, well-mannered cat that someone must've loved him once. Well, we went to the vet and Charlie didn't like being in the cat "suitcase" so I opened the top a bit to reassure him. Charlie climbed right out and into my lap. He looked at me with his big grey eyes and started purring. Charlie liked the car!

By the time we get to the vet, Charlie has gone up a few notches in my book. He's a very special boy! The vet takes a look at Charlie, tells me his fang is broken but that he's about 4 years old. He suggests that we give him some tests for the major cat diseases - Feline Lukemia and Feline HIV. I wait in the waiting room.

The Vet comes and and says bad news - Charlie has tested positive for Feline HIV. I know nothing about feline HIV but I know the human version isn't good. Basicially, he can't have contact with any other cats. HIV is spread through blood, urine and saliva. Indoors with other cats is not the place to be for Charlie.

We have to get another blood test in a month. There is a 30% chance that he's been exposed but will fight it off. But, there's still a 70% chance that he will have HIV until he dies.

So, we have one month to decide what to do. The best scieniero would be to find a loving home for Charlie where he is kept indoors and is the only cat in the house. There's no telling how long he will live - it could be quite a while. The other scieniero is that we put him to sleep so he doesn't infect other cats in the neighborhood.

I'm so glad we have a least a month to work things out. Meanwhile, Charlie is most comfortable on a fuzzy bed on our front porch. He really is a wonderful cat and it just breaks my heart that we may have to make an awful decision. Time will tell, I'm sure. Meanwhile, Charlie is being well loved by us.

• Reaver of Souls

Re: Charlie the Lonesome Sweetheart

That's the best you can do for a cat like that. We adopted a stray that had leukemia, and died a few months after we started taking care of it. It was terribly sad, but I know that those last few months were safe, secure, warm and well-fed for the fella. He went out happy and loved. And I hate cats, for the most part...

I'm sorry for the situation, and I know it's hard, but you're doing a wonderful thing caring for Charlie, as hard as it's going to be for you. I applaud your compassion.
    Honor those who fall under the sword.
    But pity the warrior who has slain all his enemies.

• e komo mai

Poor Charlie.
    Kudos to you, NA, for taking care of him in the meantime. You'll make the right decision whatever it may be. You're good at that.

• Hello there

Blog Entries

I am sorry Charlie has to go through this. Poor cat! NA what you are doing for him is wonderful and I am happy to know that someone can take the time and effort to help the poor animals.
    Fratsor Sister - Delta Mu Chi Alpha

ΔΜΧΑ

• Minion

Such a sad situation but a wonderful thing you are doing. Your heart is in the right place.

• is FIERCE!

Blog Entries

I'm happy that Charlie found you- you will do the right thing for him, no matter what happens.
    Check out the News Forum for the latest news with a Micechat twist!

Do you MiceChat?
    Help support the site you love:
    -Visit the MiceChat store
    Make a donation with one of the boxes at the bottom of the page

DMCA for life, yo.
    MCDA- Bringin' sexyback, one pound at a time.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Is HOME.

I am so sorry. Poor Charlie. I don't know what the right decision is, but I am sure you will make it. At least for now, he has people who care about him and if he doesn't make it, he had a good few weeks. Good Luck.
    “In a world filled with hate, we must still dare to hope. In a world filled with anger, we must still dare to comfort. In a world filled with despair, we must still dare to dream. And in a world filled with distrust, we must still dare to believe.” -Michael Jackson

• loves a silver lining

Blog Entries

Awwwwww poor Charlie. What a hard decision to make, I'm sure you'll make the right one and it sounds like Charlie is feeling well loved and cozy on the porch.

Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

• Again! Again! Again!

NA, I'm sorry you have to make this kind of decision. I'm sure you'll make the right one! Poor Charlie.:sad:
    Founding member of the B.A. I LOVE US!!
    FratSor Sister-Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ
    I bring the magic!!!
    "If all my friends were to jump off a bridge, I wouldn't jump with them, I'd be at the bottom to catch them"
    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend DMother
    Girl bonding is just so necessary. It's just as important as "me" time. A good girl bonding session leaves you feeling so refreshed. I think of it as a NEED vs a want. There are just things that you need to talk to other women with. You may have the best relationship in the world with your husband, but there are just times you need your girlfriends. It makes for a healthier and happier you which makes everything else you do better.

• Gay Man

I'm so glad we have some time before making a decision. Maybe we will find a home for him in the meantime - or the 30% miracle will happen and he'll be fine. (I have to be careful about my level of hope vs reality.)

Meanwhile, he's such a great cat!

• Gay Man

Here's some pics of the sweetheart:

Happy tail-wagging boy

Did I tell you he sings? He does.

He loves the sun and sits on the wall like a little Cougar.

How could we resist him with a face like that?

We have 3 more weeks before we have the second FIV test. We just keep hoping this beautiful animal will be ok, or we'll be able to find him a loving home. I really don't want to have to put him down. He's a really great cat.

• Island Paradise

NA,

Based on your love for cats, you're probably already in touch with your local rescues. Just in case you need more resources, I have a few to recommend. When we were looking to adopt a new family cat last December we were pleased to meet some fine folks from these two organizations. Both, I believe took in special needs kitties.

www.sbacc.org
    www.happycats.org

You've done a fabulous thing bringing in this sweet cat. He looks like one adorable sweetheart!

Good luck and love the updates!

EM

• Winter in Oceanside...

That is such a sweet, yet sad story, Not Afraid. Poor beautiful Charlie. I'm so glad he found you for the rest of his life.

I had a cat die from feline HIV before anyone knew what HIV was. It was not an easy time.

• All you need is LOVE

hugs to him

• MiceChat Moderator
    • It's SisterP Time!

Blog Entries

Charlie is an adorable kittie - there was no way you couldn't fall in love with him!
    Whatever happens, whatever the decision must be.
    Charlie will have been loved and had a happy life.
    Hugs to you, NA, for taking this on.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast