• is FIERCE!

Blog Entries

Aid officials: World is forgetting quake victims- MSNBC- 10/25/05

Earthquake relief efforts in Pakistan will have to be scaled back putting tens of thousands of lives at risk unless donors give another $250 million immediately, the United Nations said on Friday.

The world body says that with the severe Himalayan winter just weeks away and many survivors of the Oct. 8 quake without food or shelter, only about $111 million of $550 million needed for emergency relief has been provided.

A fresh appeal on Thursday generated only $16
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9848969/

Why do you think this is? I know the Red Cross is still administering hurricaine aid, but aren't they an international organization? It puzzles me why there hasn't been the same kind of outpouring we saw with the tsunami and hurricaines. I bet Americans would donate if they knew where to send money, but I don't know of any organization that has mobilized for this cause.
    Check out the News Forum for the latest news with a Micechat twist!

Do you MiceChat?
    Help support the site you love:
    -Visit the MiceChat store
    Make a donation with one of the boxes at the bottom of the page

DMCA for life, yo.
    MCDA- Bringin' sexyback, one pound at a time.

• Reaver of Souls

Re: Aid officials: World is forgetting quake victims- MSNBC- 10/25/05

There is an International Red Cross and American Red Cross. I think at this point, the ARC needs to focus on the US. The US gives 75% of the aid internationally on average already, and now that we have some big issues at home, I have no problem scaling that back a bit. It's always ironic that we constantly give so much to international aid, but the minute we don't give the same amount as always, we're villainized and accused of not caring. It's like the charities that call our houses to get donations. The minute you stop giving, they call evey week...
    Honor those who fall under the sword.
    But pity the warrior who has slain all his enemies.

• Huh?

Think it's a matter of breaking our pockets as well... too many important major disasters to take care of all at once or back-to-back-to-back. With so many disasters, what are we to do when some of us can barely help ourselves most of the time?

But that's just a theory...
    -Tim

• is FIERCE!

Blog Entries

Well, I don't think this critricism is aimed at the US necesicarily- its really a plea to the international community. I agree that we need to help our own first- I just wonder why this crisis has been ignored, seemingly everywhere. Is there just too much crisis everywhere?

Think about it- there could be no political motivation for denying aid- India is the worlds largest democracy and home to 1/6th of the worlds entire population. I understand the major need is in Pakistan.

But why are they having so much trouble getting help?
    Check out the News Forum for the latest news with a Micechat twist!

Do you MiceChat?
    Help support the site you love:
    -Visit the MiceChat store
    Make a donation with one of the boxes at the bottom of the page

DMCA for life, yo.
    MCDA- Bringin' sexyback, one pound at a time.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • back to basics

I think part of the problem is that it is all so remote from us, I've seen very little footage of the devastation there as compared to what we saw with the Tsunami and hurricanes. That alone gives a sense of detachment from it all. If the US media isn't showing much, I'm going to assume the international media isn't showing much either. People sometimes need to see the devastation for themselves before realizing how much their help is needed.

Also, it's a very widespread area that was destroyed by the quake, there is just that much more death and destruction based on the type of disaster, the tsunami and hurricanes are focused on the coastlines, but the quake reached a much larger area and therefore the need for that much more aid.

ErikAnders.smugmug.com

Fratsor Brother - ΔΜΧΑ

1519, 4066, 423, 600, 2469, 378, 5044, 888

• Minion

I read that the U.S. had immediately promised $50 million. Agree with the others that too many things going on right now has taken the emphasis off their problems. Here's another they are facing:

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...5E2703,00.html