Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Man O Lantern

Wink Amazon Wishlists....rude to send out, or coldly efficient, or get off my back?

We put together a family wishlist for my husband, me and the girls for Christmas (plus my husband's birthday and Chloe's birthday) on Amazon and I've written a nice email to our family with whom we exchange gifts (my mom and her husband, my dad and his wife, my in-laws, my husband's brother and his wife, my sister and her husband).

But I'm afraid to hit send.

For me...it's all about efficiency, for everyone. We're constantly being asked what the kids want (to hell with what I want, by the way, I'm never asked that!) for Christmas and birthdays. In the past, I've sent out email ideas and I have to keep track of who I've told what and who is getting what and it's a big organizational mess for me. If I've told my brother in law that Cassidy wants a very particular lightsaber and he can't find it and buys something else....well then I need to find that particular lightsaber, because it's specifically what she asked for.

I don't really believe in just going out and buying whatever for whomever and I hate getting gifts that just sit around and never get used. I assume other people don't like that as well. I really hate waste! When it comes to gift-giving, I'm fairly pragmatic and when I'm not, I'm always sorry. And I hate receiving things from my sister like candles and lotions....if I want candles and lotions...I have to pick them out for myself, they're very personal to me. I hate generic gifts and I hate giving generic gifts. And the kids are old enough to want very specific things.....Chloe doesn't want just any old Barbie, she knows exaaaactly which one she wants.

I also put a variety of things on the list...from inexpensive DVD's, books and CD's to puzzles, to games and toys, to Gameboy games, to bikes, to a digital camera for Kelly and me. I figured with the range, it would give everyone a chance to find something for everyone in their budget. Also, I made it clear that we'd be shopping for the girls off the list, too.

So.....do you give out your Amazon wishlist? To whom? If you have, was it well-received? Did it all work out?

Thanks!

• is FIERCE!

Blog Entries

Re: Amazon Wishlists....rude to send out, or coldly efficient, or get off my back?

do it- its the 21st century. If they are computer and internet literate, they won't see anything wrong with it and will probably thank you for saving them time and effort.
    Check out the News Forum for the latest news with a Micechat twist!

Do you MiceChat?
    Help support the site you love:
    -Visit the MiceChat store
    Make a donation with one of the boxes at the bottom of the page

DMCA for life, yo.
    MCDA- Bringin' sexyback, one pound at a time.

• e komo mai

Re: Amazon Wishlists....rude to send out, or coldly efficient, or get off my back?

It's no more crazy than a wedding registry. I say do it. Ralphie gets my Wish List every birthday and Xmas.

If you want, you should send emails out saying what you're going to be sending. That gives them a head's up. Be prepared to get ones back, though.

Cheers,
    GC

PS - You want mine, stink?!

• Banned User

I never have to worry about christmas and what I want. I never get it, and any more never think about it. I get a gift from my mom every year, usually a night gown or some trinket I really do not care for .( but its the thought and thats ok to ) My son never did give me anything, and well my kids are to young to go the mile so I like to give, and not worry about getting as it does not work this way in my house and I have all I need any way.
    what I really want is a dvd recorder, I am thinking of getting my self this, but I am not sure how to use one. I have so many home movies on VHS that I want to put them on a DVd, but how? does any one here have one? this would be an awsome gift to my self
    But as far as gift giving, I ask everyone, and of course all my kids let me know just what they want. My mom always says " nothing hon I am good" so I have to guess all the time This year, I am giving her a comforter set ( got it already) and a few new tops.
    I am all but done by the way. just one more thing for dad and one thing for my nephew! oh and the lady belles are having a secret Santa or card exchange./ come on folks come into the Belle's thread, we are a cool bunch of people!! Any of you want to do the secret Santa thing? I love that kind of thing!!

• MiceChat Moderator
    • It's SisterP Time!

Blog Entries

stinkerbell - I say go for it. Most folks will be happy to have ideas and not have to think for themselves. If you family is computer literate, it's a jackpot. They can do one stop shopping with no headaches, waiting in line or trips run around time. You can track what's still left to get. And everyone gets what they are hoping for!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by stinkerbell
    We put together a family wishlist for my husband, me and the girls for Christmas (plus my husband's birthday and Chloe's birthday) on Amazon and I've written a nice email to our family with whom we exchange gifts (my mom and her husband, my dad and his wife, my in-laws, my husband's brother and his wife, my sister and her husband).

But I'm afraid to hit send.

For me...it's all about efficiency, for everyone. We're constantly being asked what the kids want (to hell with what I want, by the way, I'm never asked that!) for Christmas and birthdays. In the past, I've sent out email ideas and I have to keep track of who I've told what and who is getting what and it's a big organizational mess for me. If I've told my brother in law that Cassidy wants a very particular lightsaber and he can't find it and buys something else....well then I need to find that particular lightsaber, because it's specifically what she asked for.

I don't really believe in just going out and buying whatever for whomever and I hate getting gifts that just sit around and never get used. I assume other people don't like that as well. I really hate waste! When it comes to gift-giving, I'm fairly pragmatic and when I'm not, I'm always sorry. And I hate receiving things from my sister like candles and lotions....if I want candles and lotions...I have to pick them out for myself, they're very personal to me. I hate generic gifts and I hate giving generic gifts. And the kids are old enough to want very specific things.....Chloe doesn't want just any old Barbie, she knows exaaaactly which one she wants.

I also put a variety of things on the list...from inexpensive DVD's, books and CD's to puzzles, to games and toys, to Gameboy games, to bikes, to a digital camera for Kelly and me. I figured with the range, it would give everyone a chance to find something for everyone in their budget. Also, I made it clear that we'd be shopping for the girls off the list, too.

So.....do you give out your Amazon wishlist? To whom? If you have, was it well-received? Did it all work out?

Thanks!
    Honestly, I just ask for money. I mean, getting money will insure that you get what you want and that no one buys you the same thing as someone else.

• A Pirate's life for me!

I say, "DO IT!!!"

Maybe I'm too practical, but I would much rather get something that someone actually wants versus wandering around from store to store and finally ending up with something that they would return anyway. And I really don't like giving cash, unless it is a group thing to go towards something big.

Great question!

• Just Me

My inlaws are real big on the gift lists. I have to admit it does make things easier. At the same time I really do NOT need to know my mother inlaw's bra and panty size (and no, I am not kidding-it was on her list). My other issue is that I don't get their list until Thanksgiving, I like to get things done sooner than that.

With my family it is much easier, I know them better. I already have my sister's family done-the girls are each getting a doll from the Pegasus Barbie collection and a Game Cube game, I know me and I will still get them something else. My sister wants a deep baking pan. Her husband says dvds are good so he is getting the Batman box set.
    The Old People always say not to get them anything so they are getting nummies for their tummies (usually Hickory Farms and Sees).

• loves a silver lining

Blog Entries

I say go for it.
    I started making wish lists, for the kids's birthdays through Toys R Us a couple of years ago and it makes things sooooo easy. This year I'll be passing on my sephora wish list with the boys's Amazon lists

Plus, the boys have a BLAST putting their wish lists together

Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

• Pucker Up, Sweetie!

This will be our third year for Amazon lists for the kids! It's soooo much easier when you have two sets of grandparents on each side..plus an adopted set.

• Man O Lantern

Well, I did it!

First I sent the wishlist to myself, then copied and pasted the link that Amazon sent me into an email. I figured they'd rather get an email from me than from Amazon.

I also put links to the bike place Kelly wants a bike from, the homebrewing store he goes to and a link to a Yoda lego set that Cassidy wants (only on ebay now). My dad is an ebay guy, so I'm sure he'll jump on that.

And I hate getting cash.....it just goes toward everyone else in the family and never on myself. One of the pitfalls of being a mommy.

It was the first time I've ever made a serious Amazon list!!! I've had several jokey ones over the years....it cracks me up what you can get on Amazon!!

Of course......I did put Grey Gardens on DVD on my list, so everyone will probably just think it's a joke anyway! It was a college favorite and I've lost the tape it was on, and I must must must have it!! But would never buy it for myself!!

• MiceChat Moderator
    • It's SisterP Time!

Blog Entries

stinkerbell - I'm with you on the money - hate to get it! To me, it's less personal than a knick knack gift. To me it says, I can't even be bothered to attempt to pick out a gift but I do know how to work the ATM!!
    I hope this works out well for you this holiday season!

• insufferable know-it-all

Personally I like getting money because chances are, I need it. However, I like getting gift cards even better. I told my dad that this year I'm looking for either Fry's or Best Buy gift cards. He HATES giving gift cards though, because it's not a "gift" in his eyes. So I told him, okay, get me a t-shirt and a slightly smaller gift card Believe it or not, this works for him (because I want a USC t-shirt, which fits within his understanding of what constitutes a "gift".) All I know is it's long past time to upgrade my computer and my camera, both of which will cost me hundreds. Me needs me gifty cards, arrrr.

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• most magical vaca ever

Stink! I think the lists are a great idea.... A lot of people think that it's rude but I think it's even more rude to open the gift and then ask for a gift receipt to go return it

I'm like Karla though, whenever anyone asks me what I want my reply is usually "I don't want anything"

I tell people instead of giving me a gift to make a donation to Toys for Tots or to a homeless shelter. They always laugh at me but I am serious!!!

Tis' the season!!!
    ~~~~~~

• MiceChat Moderator
    • It's SisterP Time!

Blog Entries

My husbands Mom and Dad - give us Christmas money on Thanksgiving. It's then our job to buy our gifts and get them back to them. They wrap them and then hand them out on Christmas Eve.
    That works ok also - you get what you want and it saves them the hassle of trying to ensure they give us what we want.

My husband and I are complete opposites. He doesn't mind picking up his own gifts, I do. I don't mind creating a gift list - but I really like to be suprised - just from my own list!

Really, I'm not completely horrible

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast