Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• www.JonAutopsy.com

Question Considering A Chihuahua...

First off, for you nay sayers, wanting to have a chihuahua does not make me less of a man, regardless of how much I'll be made fun of by my friends, or the possibility that attracting a female companion for myself might be slightly more difficult because of said ownership

Now, since I moved into my own place about a year ago, I've considered getting a dog. I've had dogs in the past when I lived with my parents (over the course of time, a mut, a lab, two wiener dogs and two rottweilers). I have no problem taking care of a dog so that's not an issue. However, my back patio isn't big enough for a large dog, as much as I'd love to have one. And I've always been a sucker for chihuahuas. Not those ugly long-haired ones but the cute little snuggly looking ones (no offense to long-haired chihuahua owners).

So, for those out there who may have owned, or do own a chihuahua, what advice can you give me to sway my choice one way or another? And, if it's on the positive side of owning one, where would be a good place to look for one (I'd like to avoid pet stores at all costs).
    "NATURAL BORN KILLERS"
    1st Place - MiceChat Gumball Rally 2012

JON AUTOPSY - FACEBOOK

• Rally Vixen

Blog Entries

Re: Considering A Chihuahua...

I think the tattoos, piercings and your overall presence will keep people from teasing you about your choice of dogs.

I would like to suggest looking into rescue dogs. There is one in Burbank: Chihuahua Rescue We rescue Chihuahuas at Chihuahua Rescue. As seen in People magazine, TV & more- Sanctuary for over 200 dogs.

My mom just rescued an adorable 5 year old Maltese from a rescue in West LA. She said they had a lot of pure bred dogs. The rescue is run out of a vet's office.

If you are looking for a new puppy, I have a source I can talk to for breeder recommendations.

Best of luck finding your new puppy tough guy!
    Anything listed on the park maps as an attraction is fair game for inclusion in the Rally.
    I cannot confirm nor deny the inclusion of any attraction in the Rally.

May the Gumballs Be with You...Always.

NO GOATS!

• I see mouse people

Blog Entries

First, you're right, Jon...whatever you do, do NOT go to a pet store.

When I was a kid, we had a black Chihuahua and believe me, he was a tough guy. Eventually we added a German Shepherd and a Shetland Sheepdog, but everybody did what the Chihuahua wanted.

It would be ideal if you could either meet the parents (if it's a puppy) so you can get an idea of temperament (are they barking machines, are they clingy and nervous, etc) but an adult rescue dog would be a great option. You can already see what you're getting and since there aren't any small kids in your house (I think) you can worry less about the 'what-ifs'.

Beware, a lot of rescue groups will give you a thorough check, sometimes even coming to your house to make sure you have the right situation. Don't take it personally, they just don't want to place a dog only to have to 'rescue' him again if the situation doesn't work out.

Good luck, and keep us posted, ok?

• Disappearing/Reappearing

you look more like the Miniature Pincher type...but, chihuahuas aren't all bad. Just all the ones I have met. LOL. I'm sure there are loveable ones out there somewhere. And I wish you the very best friend you can find. Pets can be such a joy of life.

• Cake Anyone?

Here is a link to the AKC site that talks about Chihuahua's but you can also search the site for breeders.

American Kennel Club - Chihuahua

About 8 years ago my mom wanted a pekinese and wanted me to find it for her so I looked up breeders and started making phone calls. Let me tell you there are some weird people out there breeding dogs! What I finally found was a breeder who was normal but didn't have any puppies but who had just taken in a rescued pekinese. She came to my mom's house and interviewed her before she gave the dog to my mom. That is the kind of breeder you need to find.

Oh and I agree with Stitchy about the Min Pin's, that will be my next dog.
    Taking contributions to get me back to Disneyland!

•   
    • At one w/ our Disneyness

If you get a dog, please consider rescuing one from a shelter rather than special order thru a breeder.

Chihuahua's are very possessive, consider this intertwined with your daily life and interaction with family members/guests to your home.
    Just countin' the days til the next visit!

• Guardian Construct

Have you thought about rescuing a small breed dog who needs a home. They may not be pure of breed but are pure of heart! Most mix breed are also free from the defects some pure breed dogs have saving you in vet bills. You can adopt a pure one if you like but many mixes of the same size are also looking for homes.

• Miss Teen Fresno of RCMC

oh i got a website to help you out!

Pet adoption: Want a dog or cat? Adopt a pet on Petfinder

it's basically helps you find the type of dog you want from practically all rescue shelters in america, you just pick the breed you want, male/female, young, old, or doesn't matter, punch in your zip code, and boom! chihuahuas at your fingertips!
    Quote Originally Posted by JungleCruiseFan View Post
    You know what they say- The party don't start 'til Jordon walks in.
    Quote Originally Posted by penguinsoda View Post

• www.JonAutopsy.com

I'm pretty much looking for a puppy chihuahua or mini-pinscher, just so I can raise the thing myself instead of an adult dog who is already all grown up and what not.

And for those who have mentioned it, no, there are no children in my house.

It definitely is hard to find puppies at pounds / shelters but I'll definitely look there.
    "NATURAL BORN KILLERS"

JON AUTOPSY - FACEBOOK

• www.JonAutopsy.com

Quote Originally Posted by GummiBears_Rock View Post
    This site is incredibly helpful! Thank you!!
    "NATURAL BORN KILLERS"

JON AUTOPSY - FACEBOOK

• Miss Teen Fresno of RCMC

your welcome! i like to use that site to look at cute little doggies when i'm in a "i want a doggie" mood
    Quote Originally Posted by JungleCruiseFan View Post
    You know what they say- The party don't start 'til Jordon walks in.
    Quote Originally Posted by penguinsoda View Post

• MiceChat Moderator
    • I'm back! Sorta...

It looks like you have your heart set on a chihuahua, and I say go for it. But if you have time, go to one of those quizzes where they match your personality and needs to your dog-you'd be surprised. We went to three different ones and each time they answered the same:

Pembroke Welsh Corgi.

And we've not looked back since. Or corgi is freegin' awesomesauce.

Try one of those quizzes and see if your temperment matches the dog's. It's kinda interesting.

Peace,
    Roo
    husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Arizona's own

Blog Entries

I agree with Stitchy, Min-Pin is the way for you to go. One of my friend's have one and he is always getting stopped and asked about it by the ladies. My parent's have chihuahua and it's an annoying little yipper.

• I see mouse people

Blog Entries

The yippiness is partly breed, partly (mostly) environment. Especially with little dogs, they must, must, must be exposed to a lot of people, both in and outside the home. Otherwise they just turn into mindless yapping machines. I've seen it in every small breed and a few medium sized as well.

• aka the scorpion eater!

I have a Chihuahua and beware of underwear and other stuff... They like to get into the laundry basket and chew on underwear, wires, and just about anything they can chew on... I had to replace wires to my Playstation, a set of I pod headphones, and a computer power cord because my dog chewed through them... And then they also chewed through some of my sisters bras and panties, and through a shirt of mine and some underwear... They like to get into things... and they like to chew... but if you can get over that they are amazing dogs, really tiny, and just cute.... I love my little dog... Sadly I did not name mine since we rescued it from a neighbor but it answered to Chico so we name it Chico!
    Add me... I dont bite LOL!
    http://tamasurvivor.tumblr.com/

http://www.youtube.com/tamasurvivor
    http://www.facebook.com/TAMAsurvivor

Commence Dragulation... Dragulation complete!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast