• Incognito

Blog Entries

Feeling melancholy about past trips

Do any of you get this way? When its around one year since a big trip you took and you start thinking to yourself "a year ago right now I was packing for the trip" or "a year ago right now I was on the Eiffel Tower".

I'm feling this way right now and I get this way every time it's at the one year anniversary of a big trip I had taken. Right now, it's Paris. I left Nov. 1 2004 for Paris for a weeks vacation and it was such a great trip. No crowds, the weather cooperated, the people were amazingly nice, nothing like the horror stories I had heard about the French. I have really no bad memories of that trip at all so I'm just feeling a little melancholy about it right now, wishing I was going back, or going somewhere period.

Am I the only weirdo that gets this way?

• e komo mai

Re: Feeling melancholy about past trips

I do it all the time. This time last year we were in DC visiting friends. It was my first time to DC and I was thrilled to be there. I didn't get to see Hillary, but I got to see the Lincoln Monument and lots of museums.

Don't get yourself down. Just plan for the next big trip!

• The Unknown Princess

Nope! You're not the weirdo! Well, unless I'm considered a weirdo too!

I get that way a lot. Its been just over a year since my last trip to DL! I think about it and its one reason why I started hanging out here. Even if I can't go, at least I can see the news and what's going on from others.

The camera in your mind can bring up emotions along with those images. But just remember, you can go back at least one day.

♪He's a weirdo, I'm a weirdo..Wouldn't you want to be a weirdo too?♪
    Always keep smiling because you never know who is falling in love with it.
    --------------------------------------------------------
    Part of the Disney Ohana

--------------------------------------------------------

• Gay Man

Well, you ARE a wierdo but you're not the only one. I was just getting back fro Paris this time last year. I can still conjur up the feel of the cold, crisp air, the colorful trees, the GIANT swans in the river and lake at DLP, the fabulous experience of the parade, the Montparnasse Cemetery in it's gothic glory, just the whole feel of that wonderful city. It was like it was yesterday or, somewhere just in the next block.

I remember complete atmospheres more than I remember specifics. On a train through the alps with a fabulous Italian picnic or bread, cheese, olives and a bottle of chianti; the strange phenomenon of passing into another place in time after passing thru check point Charlie; the smells of Yakatori wafting from little shops in the tiny Piss Alley in Tokyo; the feel of wet, cold mist on our faces from a waterfall in Kings Canyon.........

Damn, when's my next trip?

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

I do!! Last year this time I was coming home from a few days in Nashville to see a band. It was an AWESOME time. And the band has since broke up.

But I think of upcoming trips, and that helps.
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Godwin Glacier, Alaska

Vic and I have done a lot of traveling this year which means next year we'll be staying home and eating beans! I'm not sure our feelings after a big trip are melancholy so much as they are extremely nostalgic. Of course, the best way to counteract that is to take another trip! I also take a ton of photos. I'm just finishing up a webpage of our recent cruise through the Baltic. I'll post a link in the Lounge for those interested. Reviewing the pictures is a great way for us to "scratch the itch" and relive the experience.
    "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
    -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

• Circle of Ancients

I feel this way sometimes too.

What we try to do is always have something planned ... whether we actually go is besides the point.

Example:

We went to PA in September, had a great trip, went to some great parks. Got home and it sucked because the trip was over, the money was spent and we had to play catch-up for a few weeks.

Now, we are going to Vegas in December for our Anniversary so we aren't depressed because that trip is over.

After Vegas we will be in WDW planning mode so that will take our mind off of that.

IMO, planning a trip is part of the fun. I also plan trips that may never happen just because it's fun to 'pretend' I can do all of those things.

• Incognito

Blog Entries

I'm SO glad I'm not the only one.

N.A. I remember atmospheres too. The feelings of being in someones former home that was now a restaurant, and the place had been there for like 400 years and was across the street from Notre Dame. The presence of long gone monarchs while walking the grounds of Versailles. The aromas of freshly baked baguettes walking the streets of Paris. Just sitting on a sidewalk cafe listening to the many conversations taking place in so many languages. The turning trees in their glorious multi color splendor. Good times.

• e komo mai

This thread is making me miss Paris.

I'd love to go back soon. I'm so close now, maybe I should go to Europe more often.

• Pucker Up, Sweetie!

Since Katrina, I've been longing for New Orleans!

I felt such a connection with that city...I was seriously ready to just pack up and move there...such history, such culture. The people were amazing..amazing food!

The first night we were there, I left the balcony door open to our hotel room. About 4am, a thunderstorm rolled thru, and the winds rushed thru our room. It was one of those things that I will remember forever.

I even came home and started sleeping with the windows open..just to recreate the experience...but it was just something magical. So hard to explain....

Ahhhh...NOLA...

• @ DENIAL ISLAND

Wish you were here!!! Come on in the water's fine @ Club DENIAL

Quote Originally Posted by dizzydisneydee
    ♪He's a weirdo, I'm a weirdo..Wouldn't you want to be a weirdo too?♪
    Aren't we all
    aka Sara

One of my children
    isn't pictured,

ABE is still hibernating

• loves a silver lining

Blog Entries

Right now big time missing Disneyland. This time last year we were getting ready to go to the park for Shawn's birthday and it was a suuuuuch a fun trip. We've gone this time a year 3 times and it makes me so sad to not be planning on going down there again this year, sigh

Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

• Smells like beer

CH'yea!! It must suck to only get to go to Disneyland whenever you want, GOSH!!
    I find it hard
    It's hard to find
    Oh well, whatever, nevermind