Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Banned User

Game boy advance ? is this a color console?

I want to get my son one as I found on on ebay for 8.00 ! Its even got a light with it, but tell me, are the screens in color or black and white like the old ones? I know he would freak with a new game boy as he is awsome at game cube. He is 4 years old and mastered all mario games the stupid auction ends soon and I emailed the seller and no response. OYE please, is this a good deal and are they in color?

Last edited by Hakuna Makarla; 10-31-2005 at 03:53 PM.

Left the church, but not the parishioners.

Re: Game boy advance ? is this a color console?

$8??? GET IT!!!

I paid $80 for my GBA last year. They're very nice. They have full-color lighted screens, so they can be played in the darkest of places. They also fold down, so they're very compact. They are also rechargable, so no batteries are needed. There are also a number of games available for them, with new ones still being made. Games run from $9.99 to $29.99 brand new.

• Man O Lantern

If it's a Gameboy Advance with the screen in the middle and the buttons on the outside, I'm not sure if the screen is lighted. I don't think so. We have had a Gameboy, 3 Gameboy Colors and now we have 3 Gameboy Advance SPs, and only the SPs have light. But they are in color and play the newer games.

We don't have any regular advances or the DS....but I'm pretty sure that when her friends come over with their advances that the screens don't light up.

Sorry.....wish I could be more help! But a GBA is great! And can play almost all the games!

• Man O Lantern

Quote Originally Posted by Disneyphile
    $8??? GET IT!!!

I paid $80 for my GBA last year. They're very nice. They have full-color lighted screens, so they can be played in the darkest of places. They also fold down, so they're very compact. They are also rechargable, so no batteries are needed. There are also a number of games available for them, with new ones still being made. Games run from $9.99 to $29.99 brand new.
    It sounds like you have a Gameboy Advance SP. Gameboy Advances are older and I just asked my daughter and she says that Advances don't light up. Which is what I thought.....should have just edited my previous post.

DOH! I'll edit this post: you know you have an SP. There.

• Ooh boy!

Yes, the GBA is a full color handheld. You don't have to play with all that contrast stuff like in the past.

Here's a rundown on each model of the GBA:

GBA - Just a plain old GBA. It has no built-in light so you have to adjust your screen so you can see what's happening on the screen. It's also the widest of the bunch and the only one that uses AA batteries.

GBA:SP - This GBA has a clamshell design. The original GBA:SP had a front-lit screen (meaning that the screen was being lit from the front) but newer models have a backlit screen (like a TV or a computer monitor). These run for $80 new, but on Black Friday, Wal-Mart has these for $48.88.

GBA micro - The newest edition of the GBA family, this little baby has a smaller but brighter backlit screen. The micro is the smallest of the GBAs (it's no bigger than an ordinary cell phone). The GBA:M has interchangeable faceplates so you can customize it. The drawbacks? The GBA:M doesn't have the ability to play GB/GBC games (the other two can) and it's price point is $100 new.

There's also the DS, which is its own system with its own games. It can play GBA games, though. It has two screens (one being a touch screen), a mic, and the regular repertoire of buttons. It's $130 new, but there's a bundle that has a special Teal or Pink color console along with a special version of Nintendogs for $150.

The last handheld console out there is the PSP, but I believe that it is much too delicate for children. Plus it's a whopping $250.

• Photographer/Disney Lover

I have a PSP and yes, parents, if you dont want to ruin your $250 investment, do NOT buy one for your child.

However, an original GBA would be an awsome choice for a 4 yr old. And if he takes good care of it, get that boy an upgrade! (i.e. - GBA-SP or Micro)
    "Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money." ~ Walt Disney

• keep moving forward...

no built in light... no rechargeable battery, but the games are good if not sometimes very hard to see on the screen, $8 is a steal on this thing!!!!!

• Just Me

It looks like it has been used. I would hesitate to purchase it. The Boy's GBA died a very harsh death, but to look at it you wouldn't know it was dead. He now has both the SP and DS. He plays the SP a whole lot more since he can link up to the Game Cube or his friend's and trade Pokemon back and forth. Also, while the DS is more durable than the PSP, it is not nearly as durable as the SP. I honestly think The Boy is too young for his scarred and battered DS.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Mousey Girl
    It looks like it has been used. I would hesitate to purchase it. The Boy's GBA died a very harsh death, but to look at it you wouldn't know it was dead. He now has both the SP and DS. He plays the SP a whole lot more since he can link up to the Game Cube or his friend's and trade Pokemon back and forth. Also, while the DS is more durable than the PSP, it is not nearly as durable as the SP. I honestly think The Boy is too young for his scarred and battered DS.
    The PSP is for grown folks, so I agree, you don't want to buy it for your young children. Heck, I'm willing to part with my GBA sp. I bought 3 games for it, Mario Kart, and two Super Mario Bros. ports. It's a limited edition gold sp.

• most magical vaca ever

Grrrrrrrrr- the PSP is ALL my son wants for xmas! He's 11 and I feel that he isn't responsible enough for the PSP. He just got the GmBoy DS for his b'day in April.... I think he is going to be disappointed What to do? What to do?
    ~~~~~~

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by DMof2
    Grrrrrrrrr- the PSP is ALL my son wants for xmas! He's 11 and I feel that he isn't responsible enough for the PSP. He just got the GmBoy DS for his b'day in April.... I think he is going to be disappointed What to do? What to do?
    That's a tough one... I don't think I'd get one for a young child. Many of the games are rated T and up, and they have a lot of access to R movies and other "unsavory" things since there is a web browser.

As for the protection, I'd invest in a playgear pocket. That'll keep the PSP covered, and he can keep it in there while he plays games... But OY, what if he loses it?!?! And honestly, everything about the PSP is for older audiences. The games are the same price as a console game, and the movies are usually more than a DVD (although Sam's Club and Wal-Mart sell them for around $15).

I'd make HIM buy it with his own money. I have ALL of my old systems, even the old grey brick Gameboy. I bought most of them, and as a result, I took care them like my life depended on it!

• Ooh boy!

Quote Originally Posted by DMof2
    That is quite a predicament. I'm 15, bought a PSP with my own money, bought the Playgear Pocket, and I still manage to scatch the screen.

The PSP is quite a delicate machine.

If you're made of money, you may want to buy the XBox 360 for your son and make all of his friends envy him.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by openattheseams
    If you're made of money, you may want to buy the XBox 360 for your son and make all of his friends envy him.
    Made of money is the keyword. If you're willing to shell out almost $700...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast