Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Citizen of EPCOT

Disney Theme Park Trivia Error

Ok, so this proved my ultimate geekiness, but I take issue with one question in the new Disney Theme Park Trivia Game at DISNEY.COM

"What does EPCOT stand for?"
    "Envision Progress Continuing Over Time" (I actually like this one!)
    "Environment Prototype Community of Tomorrow" (The CORRECT answer that I take issue with!!!)
    "Extra Perfect Community of Tourism" (Wow, that's honest, at least!)
    "Eat aPriCOTs" (Kinda funny.)

When did it become ENVIRONMENTAL?! It's challenging enough that they made Walt's vision into a theme park, then reduced the quality and vision to it's current state. But now, they're changing the acronym, or lack thereof.

Ok, I'll go back to my geek-cave now.

• Hooterville, USA

Re: Disney Theme Park Trivia Error

I'm sure not many know what EPCOT stands for.

I know that I didn't.

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• Citizen of EPCOT

Hi Druggas,

I certainly mean no offense to anyone by assuming that everyone knows the original Experimental Prototype Community of Tomorrow (EPCOT) dreamed up by Walt, or even EPCOT Center of the 1980's. Sorry!

I just find it funny that from the official source, Disney, that they don't even have it officially right.

I've earned my DF wings!

Geren

• Citizen of EPCOT

I found the following definition on Disney.com's FAQ

What does EPCOT stand for?

EPCOT stands for "Experimental Prototype Community of Tomorrow." EPCOT as it exists today is not the place that Walt Disney originally envisioned. In EPCOT, Walt set out to create a new kind of city, an ideal community where residents would apply the best thinking and technology to the challenges of transportation, communication, and sanitation. Unfortunately, Walt simply did not live long enough to see this particular dream to reality.

Ok, I shall now "stop it fanboy!"

• I see mouse people

Blog Entries

I am not disputing your knowledge, but it's funny because I was a child when the park opened and I have always understood it was "Environmental..." I can remember parroting the name over and over in an attempt to convince everyone I was a font of Disney knowledge.

So perhaps that's a widespread myth? Or perhaps they changed it?

• Minion

The idea for EPCOT stems from the Carousel of Progress at the 1964-1965 New York World's Fair. In that show, at the end you walked onto the stage and up an escalator to see a mock up of "Progress City", an early concept of the Experimental Prototype Community of Tomorrow.

• Citizen of EPCOT

To me the spirit of EPCOT is the culmination of Walt's vision, and the embodiment of the true hope he had for humanity. Even EPCOT Center captured that sense of awe and wonder. The Walt Disney's EPCOT Center book by Richard Beard captures that spirit, as does The Art of Walt Disney with a great essay by architect Peter Blake. Epcot is still the most unique park of all and I love it for that, but it's a far cry from a complete vision that it once was, and was originally based upon.

I'm specifically fascinated with the Disney Development Company and concepts of Disney space planning. WDW has become EPCOT, and along with the original Celebration, FL (another passion of mine) does a fairly good piecemeal job of bringing EPCOT's concepts to life. I want to see the power generators and water filters on Disney Property!

• Functional & Decorative

I prefer the old joke... Every Person Comes Out Tired.
    Does anyone even bother with signatures anymore?

• Citizen of EPCOT

Quote Originally Posted by JesterMn View Post
    I prefer the old joke... Every Person Comes Out Tired.
    Nice! And of course "Experimental Polyester Costumes of Torture" and "Every Paycheck Comes of Thursday." These days, 'Every Pocket Cleaned Out Thouroghly' rings true.

I've always know it as Experimental not Environmental, I thought that was fairly well knowledge especially within the Disney fanbase. Don't really think that knowing that makes you overly geeky.

It wouldn't be the first time Disney got their info wrong. A few years ago I emailed them about 2 errors on a timeline one of their websites. Later I got an email in return thanking me for the email and they send my email to the approptiate dept for consideration. Two and a half years later the error still stands!

• Citizen of EPCOT

I think what gets me about this error is how fundamental a concept EPCOT was to Walt and the entire organization. For years, EPCOT was the focus of the entire Walt Disney Productions company. The dream was shared nationally via television with the entire public. Something just strikes me as disrespectful about this item, even if it was an honest mistake.

Glad to know that they truly take feedback to heart!

I can't find the timeline anymore but it was called Memory Lane and might have been under teh Disney Video section of Disney.com. It was still there as recently as about 6 months ago, but seems to have disappeared in the recent overhaul of the website. It was a historic timeline of things in the companies past such as movie releases, park openings etc. They had an entry for The New Mickey Mouse club in 1977 and listed that it helped launch the careers of Britney Spears, Justin Timberlake, and Keri Russell. Most of those celebrities weren't even born when the second version made its debut. Then there was no mention at all of the MMC returning in 1988 (or 89?).

• Citizen of EPCOT

Very insightful, Disney Magic. You are a poster after my own heart! May we both keep enjoying the details that make Disney special.

Have a great weekend,

Geren

• Down Pluto!

There is the conceptual EPCOT of Walt's era, and there is the EPCOT that exists today in Florida.

Two different things, same name. (acronym - with the "E" being different)

I think the trivia question needed to be more specific, or allow for more than one correct answer.

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

• Citizen of EPCOT

Hey Sambo,

You're absolutely right. There is Walt's 'EPCOT', 'EPCOT Center' theme park, and today's 'Epcot'.

My main issue, and who knows why I'm suddenly passionate about this, is that none of the answers were correct.

I will reinforce that I kind of like this one, though, as I envision Walt would have liked it as well:
    "Envision Progress Continuing Over Time"

Here's to Utopia!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast