Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

• Banned User

Red Face Ok this CM wants to ask the parents out there how do you handle your BRAT lol

Ok this post is going in a direction that is not what was planned. I am not talking about the children who may have a problem those you can spot and like one member said u can easily spot a spoiled child. I just wanted to know from ap arents perspective, but Im not getting any parents input.
    Last edited by Maleficent'sMirror; 04-11-2010 at 04:13 AM.

• He Gets The Job Done

Blog Entries

Re: Ok this CM wants to ask the parents out there how do you handle your BRAT lol

I don't think this is a good topic to post especially being a CM... Management does come on this website...

When I was a CM Managers would tell me how funny my Trip Reports are... So they do read them.

Just warning you.

• Banned User

Re: Ok this CM wants to ask the parents out there how do you handle your BRAT lol

Thank you Kritter for the response, but I am going to hold out on this one and see how this one goes.

• Lion

I see no problem with this topic. It's not like Maleficent'sMirror was saying something Disney isn't already well aware of (bratty kids) or talking about inappropriate CM behavior. They're everywhere these days: supermarkets, theme parks, restaurants... pretty much everywhere. And of course it's not all children, but there are many children who's parents have NO control over them.

Unfortunately, there's not a lot anyone can do to control a child that's been spoiled. Some parents let their child rule the roost at home, and this then translates into the kinds of behavior that Maleficent'sMirror describes. Usually if a parent hasn't corrected this kind of behavior properly already at home from a young age, there isn't much hope of the parent suddenly changing their disciplinary actions.

• He Gets The Job Done

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Maleficent'sMirror View Post
    Thank you Kritter for the response, but I am going to hold out on this one and see how this one goes.

noooooooooooo problem

• Hello Dolly.

Quote Originally Posted by simba View Post
    I see no problem with this topic. It's not like Maleficent'sMirror was saying something Disney isn't already well aware of (bratty kids) or talking about inappropriate CM behavior. They're everywhere these days: supermarkets, theme parks, restaurants... pretty much everywhere. And of course it's not all children, but there are many children who's parents have NO control over them.

Unfortunately, there's not a lot anyone can do to control a child that's been spoiled. Some parents let their child rule the roost at home, and this then translates into the kinds of behavior that Maleficent'sMirror describes. Usually if a parent hasn't corrected this kind of behavior properly already at home from a young age, there isn't much hope of the parent suddenly changing their disciplinary actions.
    I agree it's pretty sad. I sometimes I get disappointed when I'm at Disneyland and a kid is making brat out of him or herself. I remember at even that age my brother and I were so happy to be there we never displayed that kind of attitude.
    But it all comes down to the parents. Some care, some just don't.

• Senior Minion

But I saw a child the other day I was making my way to my post and this child I would say about 7-8 a girl was just wailing and screaming and then she had the nerve to slap her mother. I'm like ummmm OK someone needs to take this child to the restroom. You are in the happiest place on earth and there are some people out there not fortunate enough to ever experience a Disney Vacation or anything and you're acting so ungrateful (Not that I expect a child at that age to understand what being ungrateful is) but at least to be that old and have some manners and especially not to slap a parent.

So I ask the parents out there if you have a child like this how do you deal with it and what advice could you offer to other parents who might not be so fortunate?

The fact is you don't know the background of that child and her parent. The girl might have any number of medical issues or psychological conditions. Her mother might be anything from nurturing to abusive.

Based on a brief observation, you're making a snap judgment that the girl is a brat who needs to be taught manners.

The real answer to your question, "how do you deal with a child like this," is the question, "child like what?" Until you have information on how the situation got to where it is, you can't possibly know how to help it.

And if you are a CM, Kritter is right -- you're not doing yourself any favors with your employers by posting this kind of thing here; in fact, just the opposite.

Keep posting this kind of stuff for your employers to see, and you may find out "how this one goes."

Just sayin'.

"With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Snap!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    The fact is you don't know the background of that child and her parent. The girl might have any number of medical issues or psychological conditions. Her mother might be anything from nurturing to abusive.

Based on a brief observation, you're making a snap judgment that the girl is a brat who needs to be taught manners.

You cannot spot a bratty little kid when you see one?

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by senseiz View Post
    You cannot spot a bratty little kid when you see one?
    Not by observing them for a few seconds while walking past them. You can only say that the kid is acting out. Without more observation there's no way you can tell what's causing them to act out.

The kneejerk assumption of "she's just a spoiled brat who needs to be taught some manners" is meaningless unless the kid really is a brat. And you can't make a snap analysis on that, as the OP did, without more information.

Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 04-11-2010 at 04:04 AM.

- Neil Gabler

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Kritter View Post
    I don't think this is a good topic to post especially being a CM... Management does come on this website...

When I was a CM Managers would tell me how funny my Trip Reports are... So they do read them.

Just warning you.
    I'm assuming that they'll b fine in this case because they aren't telling people that all kids are mis-behaved little devils or anything, and besides, I'm sure that the management would agree with the majority of people that just don't want to see that behavior at DLR or WDW, or any Disney park around the globe. I think that if it doesn't already exist then Disney needs to add some easy access rooms that could act as time-out rooms for kids that mis-behave
    Trips coming up:

May 22-26th
    July 13th-18th
    November 19th-25th

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by mickeyfan42 View Post
    I'm assuming that they'll b fine in this case because they aren't telling people that all kids are mis-behaved little devils or anything...
    As much as I bash Disneyland management (and I bash them a lot), I wouldn't blame them for being less than forgiving of the OP's writing and viewed it as the kind of public representation of DL Cast Members that they don't want (I refer less to the topic than to the less-than-adept presentation).

Nor would I be surprised if they tried to find out who the employee was. It has happened before.

- Neil Gabler

Just curious how you all think "management" will know which CM posted this? I think the constitution has something or other in it about free assembly and/or speech...................

Speaking as a parent, I am also appalled by the poor manners displayed on a daily basis by kids. When my daughter was 2, and we were at the grocery store, she saw the Brach's bulk candy display. She wanted to go and get some, and I told her no. Later she walked towards it, again I told her "No". As I was selecting some veggies, she went to it and started grabbing candy. I walked over, told her she couldn't do that now, and she started crying. So I picked her up, and walked straight out of the store with her.

Last Halloween when we went to DLR: she knew she could have one toy as souvenir. She picked out a Tinkerbell tea set on the second day, and didn't ask for anything else for the rest of our 5 day trip. (she got some other small stuff: but only because she was being well behaved and earned it).

Assuming the little girl you saw at the park didn't have some sort of emotional disorder, I'd bet the parents just haven't stood their ground with her. and she knows she'll get what she wants if she screams loadly enough.

So to answer your question: the solution is for parents to act like parents, not act like best friends.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by santadog View Post
    Just curious how you all think "management" will know which CM posted this? I think the constitution has something or other in it about free assembly and/or speech...................
    If you're curious, do a search on employers using posts on internet forums, blogs and social networking sites as a basis for hiring and firing employees.

And no, the Constitution has nothing to do with it.

- Neil Gabler

• He Gets The Job Done

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by santadog View Post
    Email, Name from registering.

I know plenty of people who have posted unnecessary things on here and never had a picture of them or any information about them on their page, but management does find out.

Your Avatar is amazing btw.

• Banned User

Post is going out of control lol
    Last edited by Maleficent'sMirror; 04-11-2010 at 03:54 PM.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast