•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Tell Us About Alabama

After posting my last Alphabet thread, I said to myself, "What Next?"

MiceChatters are very knowledgeable and probably represent each and every state of our United States. So therefore, if you wish, you can refer to these as my Geography threads.

Tell us about Alabama is the first.

I am not all that smart. I am using a 2004 Road Atlas for reference. I apologize for any mistakes.

Alabama's capital is Montgomery. Largest city is Birmingham. State ranks
    23rd in population, with about 4 and 1/2 million people. The distance between Birmingham and Disneyland is a little over 2,000 miles. Alabama is bordered by the states of Tennessee, Georgia, Mississippi, and Florida.

Do we have any MiceChatters from Alabama. Have any of you ever visited this state. Anything Disney related or any favorite Disney personalities claim an Alabama background?

Tell us about Alabama.

Any and all info about this fine state.
    Disneyland Here I Come Again!
    October 1, to October 6, 2015

• Huh?

Re: Tell Us About Alabama

Somebody had a Sweet Home there...

Country band named themselves after the state...

Closer to WDW than DL.
    -Tim

• Happy Memories

Driven through a couple of times, stayed breifly once, don't remember much because I was fairly young. Only standout memory is the amazing beach house we stayed in. My family isn't all that wealthy (even less so at the time), so I was overwhelmingly impressed with this big house among the sand dunes.

• I'm your huckleberry.

My youngest brother and his partner live on a farm near Mobile Bay. My brother loves it, but I keep telling him its a supid place to live if you're openly gay.

Quote Originally Posted by Senator David Wu (D-OR)
    Don't let faux-klingons send real Americans to war!

Quote Originally Posted by TheHousingBubbleBlog
    Everyone says that the U.S. doesn’t make anything anymore, but that’s not exactly true. We’re the world leader in the manufacturing of bull****.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Is HOME.

One of my favorite movies takes place partly there- Fried Green Tomatoes. And that concludes any knowledge I have of Alabama.
    “In a world filled with hate, we must still dare to hope. In a world filled with anger, we must still dare to comfort. In a world filled with despair, we must still dare to dream. And in a world filled with distrust, we must still dare to believe.” -Michael Jackson

• For old time sake

When my family moved there 3 yrs ago my first thought was "um, EWWW" I have been to Birmingham 3 times and plan to go back in December.

Alabama is green, slow paced and beautiful. The people there are so friendly and you can be standing in line at the grocery store and strike up a conversation with the people in front of and behind you and feel as if you have known each other for years.

They have a Vulcan Park with this HUGE iron statue of Vulcan, the Roman god of Fire and forge and at one point my brother in law told me it was voted the biggest waste of iron (not sure where he got that info, but we found it to be funny). The statue was placed there in 1904 it is visible from most of the city as it sits atop a hill. Here is a picture of our fine ironed friend:

Irondale AL, is a small town just outside of Birmingham and is the home of the Whistlestop Cafe!!! Those of you familiar with this restaurant will remember it from the movie Fried Green Tomatoes. They have all sorts of pictures from the movie at the restaurant and yes, they really do sell Fried green tomatoes. They are...interesting.

One of the things I always look forward to when going to Alabama is sweet tea (Milo's in particular) and good old BBQ!!!! No one makes BBQ quite like they do in the south!!!!

And everytime I hear the song "Sweet Home Alabama" I get all happy!!!!!
    Katie
    Founding member of the BA I LOVE us!!!
    FIGHT ON!!!!!!

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I may never get to visit many of the states in our wonderful United States. It is so nice to read about the places and the things that other people have experienced throughout our country.

Do I sound like John Ratzenberger from Made in America?

• Again! Again! Again!

Roll Tide Roll is the University of Alabama's saying. They are the Crimson Tide and have an elephant for a mascot.
    Founding member of the B.A. I LOVE US!!
    FratSor Sister-Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ
    I bring the magic!!!
    "If all my friends were to jump off a bridge, I wouldn't jump with them, I'd be at the bottom to catch them"
    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend DMother
    Girl bonding is just so necessary. It's just as important as "me" time. A good girl bonding session leaves you feeling so refreshed. I think of it as a NEED vs a want. There are just things that you need to talk to other women with. You may have the best relationship in the world with your husband, but there are just times you need your girlfriends. It makes for a healthier and happier you which makes everything else you do better.

• most magical vaca ever

The company I used to work for had its corporate offices in Birmingham, AL

Very polite people- living in the NYC metro area anybody that says "hello" is considered very polite
    ~~~~~~

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I forgot to include the Nickname for Alabama, which is the Heart of Dixie.

• most magical vaca ever

Goldenrod is the state flower
    ~~~~~~

• white and nerdy

You Know You're From Alabama When... You have a party or a barbeque whenever Alabama plays Auburn in football.

You go to Gulf Shores every summer.

You call the Atlanta Braves baseball team "us" like they're actually from Alabama.

You would much rather visit Florida than California.

You don't "take", you "carry" or "tote"... as in "You want me to carry you down to the 7-11?"

A soft drink isn't soda, cola, or pop, it's Coke.

You call it a "buggy" and not a shopping cart.

You've said "fixin' to," "might could," or "usetacould" during the last week.

Someone you know has used a football schedule to plan their wedding date.

You know the meaning of the phrase "Fobbed again."

You can properly pronounce Eufaula, Opelika, Bayou La Batre, and Oneonta.

The Talladega 500 is the biggest sporting event of any sort during the entire year.

You know exactly what chitlins and mountain oysters are, and you know someone who eats them anyway.

You think that people who complain about the humidity in other states are sissies.

You aren't surprised to find rental movies, groceries, ammunition and bait all in the same store.

You've missed a wedding or a funeral to go to a football game.

Asian food is always "CHINESE" regardless of the fact that it may actually be Korean or Japanese or Thai
    St. Elizabeth, Patron Saint of Themed parks. Protect us from break downs, long lines, and used gum. Amen.

"Dance like it hurts, love like you need money, and work when people are watching" - Dogbert