• For old time sake

Traveling Vietnam Memorial Wall visits California

I just heard on ABC 7 that the traveling replica of the Vietnam Memorial Wall is on display at Bellevue Memorial Park in Ontario. I am on my way in a few minutes to go check it out and take pictures and I willl post them here. For those of you interested in checking this out, I will get more infor and post it when I get back. In the meantime here is the address:

Bellevue Memorial Park
    1240 G St
    Ontario, CA
    Katie
    Founding member of the BA I LOVE us!!!
    FIGHT ON!!!!!!

• Senior Minion

Re: Traveling Vietnam Memorial Wall visits California

I actually saw this in Modesto at a local church, in their Parking lot, it was amazing and breathtaking.

Their are many keepsakes and letters and also a map of where a relative and friend would be. They have a window you go up to, and a volunteer can print it out for you.
    1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

• For old time sake

I just got back and all I can say is WOW!!!!! It isn't "THE" Vietnam Memorial, but it definitely is powerful. I tried not to take too many pictures so as not to bore you all, but I could not help it. Everything was amazing. Pictures coming
    Katie
    FIGHT ON!!!!!!

• e komo mai

We went to see the Vietnam Wall in DC in August. It was sobering. The best time to see it is at night. Very sobering. After the wall, the WWII memorial and the Korean War memorial, it left me feeling very sad, proud, mad, somber all at the same time.

• For old time sake

Pictures are uploaded and I am ready to tell you about my short, yet amazing trip to see this memorial.

I have been to the Vietnam Memorial twice in DC. Both times, I've been rendered speechless by the enormity of it and the thought that each name represents a real person. Today was no exception. I went thinking I would see a replica, take some pictures and that would be it. Not so.

The memorial is in the back portion of this cemetary and is surrounded by mini exhibits with pictures, memorial quilts and information booths.

Like the memorial in DC, you can go up to one of the books:

and look for one of thousands of names inscribed on the wall:

The wall has an East side:

And a West side:

They have volunteers (some of which are Vietnam War Veterans) who read the names of those on the wall:

As you can imagine, you are left speechless at the amount of names on the wall:

And proud at what these men (and 8 women) did for our country:

When I went in 1992, I found that there are two men who share my maiden name. Because my dad is adopted and I do not know much about his biological parents/family, I may never know if these two men are my relatives, but I keep them close to my heart!!! They died 10 days apart from each other in January 1968:

What happened next will stay with me forever. I was looking for the names of these two men. I turned to go ask someone for help on finding their names and right in front of me was a Vietnam Veteran, I could do nothing more than shake his hand with tears and say "Thank you for everything you have done to serve our country." Corny? Perhaps, but we owe alot to these guys for all the suffering they have and continue to endure. His name is Ted. He asked me if I knew anyone on the wall. I told him I did not. Then he said "Let me show you something." He walked me over to a name and pointed to it:

Sp4c Ingalls died when a grenade was thrown into an area where he and his squad were during an overnight invasion. He put his combat hat over the grenade and it exploded, mortally wounding him and saving his squad. Hearing his story gave me goosebumps. There is a park named after him, Ted explained, in Norco. I said to him "I know where Norco is, I lived in Corona" Ted explained to me that He and George Ingalls both attended Corona High School...which is the same high school I graduated from!!!!! What are the odds? Ted looked at me and said, "See, now you can say you do know someone on the wall" He showed me on a map from 1967 where he served (twice) in Vietnam. We had a brief talk and went our separate ways. In our brief meeting I learned about a few things I had not known about The wall and the war. I also met a few other Veterans and shook their hands as tears streamed down my face. It was just amazing.

So that was my afternoon. I have no words to describe the emotions. Just alot of pride for our servicemen and women!!!!

Here's a few more pictures:

This is a memorial to the POW's. It is a table set with the hats representing each Branch. The chairs are empty to symbolize the men who have not come home:

Thanks for letting me share!!!!
    Last edited by Disneykat; 11-04-2005 at 03:35 PM.
    Katie
    FIGHT ON!!!!!!

• HAPPY ANNIVERSARY DMCA!

Thanks for sharing this. I don't know if anyone ever really realizes the awesomeness of this wall and what it represents until they stand in front of it. We saw it in DC and it is incredible. It is so hard to put the feelings into words. I would recommend anyone who has the opportunity to see it.

It's always me

• no flash photography...

Everytime I see that table symbol it makes me sad...it everythig on it symbolizes something. I don't see all these in that table, but the lemon and sale always make me sad ...

the tablecloth represents purity of heart, the black napkin the sorrow of captivity and the white candle, peace. The lemon represents the missing service member's bitter fate and the salt, the tears shed by the families of the missing.

• Island Paradise

DK,

Thanks for sharing. What a touching tribute and I enjoyed your thoughtful photography.

EM

• Hooterville, USA

Thanks for sharing. Unfortunately, some of my friends are on that board.

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.