Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• TDR and Japan fan

Re: Silly Post of the Week: MiceChatters That Are OLDER Than Disneyland! You?

My mom lived in LA during Disneyland opening, but they never took her, but she came till 1971, and since then we are disneyland fans.
    Well, a little off topic, but i do share the same day of opening of TDS as my bday 4th September, although not same year.
    Trips:
    DLR: 2001, 2002, 2005, 2006, 2009 may
    WDW: 1993,1994, 1995, 1997, 1999, 2000, 2004, 2006, 2011
    DLP: 1996, 2002, June 2009
    TDL: July 2008, July 2010
    HKDL: wishing it will be soon

•   
    • Daffy about Disneyland

Blog Entries

I also have a September 4th birthday.

This morning I googled 1955.

Did you know?

That McDonald's opened in DesPlaines Illinois in 1955, and hamburgers cost just 15 cents. French fries were a dime, and milkshakes were 20 cents.

Coca Cola started calling it's product Coke in 1955.

1955 was about the same time that TV dinners became popular.

The Brooklyn Dodgers finally won a World Series in 1955 beating the Yankees 4 games to 3.

Another baseball fact. The Philadelphia Athletics moved to Kansas City.

1955 song debuts included Rock Around The Clock, Love is a Many Splendored Thing, and 16 Tons. ( I loved that song).

Ann Landers began her career in the Chicago SunTimes in 1955.

I just love all the interesting facts that I can find out on the internet. I never would have thought any of this computer/internet stuff was possible as a kid growing up in the 50's.
    My Next Disneyland Vacation - ​May 29, 2014 - June 5, 2014

My Next WDW Vacation is Aug 18, 2014 - Aug 23, 2014
    Pop Century Resort

• Down Pluto!

Yet another AARP thread...

Count me in - 1953 - I'm older than Disneyland. First went in 1959 when the Monorail and Matterhorn were brand new. Saw the construction on Walt's show (can't remember if the show was still Disneyland or had changed to the Wonderful World of Color) and drooled for several months knowing we would be driving about 1500 miles in our brand new, two-toned '59 Dodge Coronet and I would be there.

...that is what us old folks do isn't it - Reminisce?

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sambo View Post
    Yet another AARP thread...
    I guess I missed many of the other threads you seem to be complaining about. Too many senior moments for me, I guess.

I think its nice to have a few threads that attract people that remember some of the same things that I do.

I know. How about a "how would you spend the DCA resurrection, er, improvement budget? There's an original thread idea.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

•   
    • Daffy about Disneyland

Blog Entries

Well when most of our lives are behind us, it's nice to remember the things in our life that gave us pleasure. After all, isn't that was MiceChat is based upon.? People sharing the things that give us joy in our lives. Disneyland being the common bond. However, we all share other things as well. Not all of us have exactly the same set of memories, but they interweave themselves together with others.

Us older folks sometimes can help the younger ones out, if they care to listen, and I know for a fact that the youngest among us have taught me a whole lot.
    My Next Disneyland Vacation - ​May 29, 2014 - June 5, 2014

My Next WDW Vacation is Aug 18, 2014 - Aug 23, 2014
    Pop Century Resort

• Bucket List Car

Not hardly; March 1967. First visit was in 1969. I have a photo of me in front of one of the teepees.

Love this thread; btw!

• sleepy lagoon

I love this thread!! My Mom was born in 1951, yet her family didn't move to the United States until she was 8. Because of this, she doesn't really have any early memories of Disneyland. The earliest memories she has were of her DL Grad Nite '69 (which I still have the picture of her and my Dad... so funny). Anyway, it is so neat to hear about everyone's childhood back in the day....

• Hooterville, USA

My best friend's mom got us in to DL one time with either blue chip or green chip stamps. I remember the admission cost at that time was $2.00.

But my all time favorite day at DL was 1971. Our high school band marched down Main Street and we were rewarded with 2 ticket books and free admission. If I can find my annual, I would like to post the picture of us marching. I'm not sure if it's color or black and white.

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• Miss Teen Fresno of RCMC

ok i'm doing some rule breaking here

but it's kinda interesting and sad to see what us younger people missed because our parents were still kids like seriously, we missed A LOT.
    Quote Originally Posted by JungleCruiseFan View Post
    You know what they say- The party don't start 'til Jordon walks in.
    Quote Originally Posted by penguinsoda View Post

I make the cutoff by 17 days (16 if you use the non-public opening). I'm hoping to spend my 55th at Disneyland.

I tried to do it for the 50th but it didn't work out.

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by MatterhornJ View Post
    I'm older than DCA.
    Ha ha, me too.

This is a GREAT thread! I'm really enjoying reading about all of your memories. Keep 'em coming!

• Down Pluto!

Quote Originally Posted by Radiobarry View Post
    I guess I missed many of the other threads you seem to be complaining about. Too many senior moments for me, I guess.
    There wasn't really any AARP threads, and it wasn't a complaint. It was humor to point out that there are discussions of interest for us older DL fans. Threads where we get to talk about our past experiences that the younger folks sadly missed.

We should be enjoying the senior moments Barry, they allow us to get away with more than if we were young...

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

• Hukuna Matata!

This is a great thread, I love hearing stories about the Mickey Mouse Club and the Classic Tv Shows, Please keep em coming.

• Hooterville, USA

We went back in the late 60's to DL on what was called "Lucky's Market" night. If you knew someone who worked for them you could purchase a ticket to DL for a special night. They closed DL down by 7:00 pm, and reopened it up to us at 8:00 pm til 1:am. We had a blast! Our parents turned us loose and we explored the whole park. Just allowing us to stay up that late was exciting, but staying up late at DL was the ultimate fun!

And just to let everyone know, we were early teens and we didn't misbehave. We were too scared to mess up a good thing and our parents wouldn't think twice about whooping us right there. Wish I would have owned a camera back then. I would have some pics that I would cherish forever!

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

I was 3 years old in 1955, when Disneyland opened, and dad took me to see it. I think it was on the opening day #1, with the press, not day #2, with the public. My dad got free tickets because he was a newspaper reporter. The thing I remembered the most was waiting, on the sinking new black asphalt parking lot, for the gate to open, in a crowd. When they opened the gate we stampeded as a herd to the turnstiles, and groan, waited again, before finally getting into the park. Then there was the Walt Disney speech, the classic one they replay all the time. None of the rides seemed to be working, but I walked on to Mr. Toad, and rode it three times. Why not? Nothing else seemed to be working. The crowd of reporters and such seemed to be somewhere else, probably at some speech. I was one of the first, if not the first, to ride it. That was in 1955; it's 2010, and I was in the park yesterday, still loving it. In fact, I love it more than ever. When I go to the park it reminds me of the father/son moments I had with my dad. Those were special because my father was a workaholic and rarely home. He grew up hungry during the depression, but worked like a dog, saving every cent, driving a VW bug. By the time he died he owned a house overlooking the ocean, made sure my sister and I had a college education, and went to Europe three times. My dad was the best father a boy could hope to have.
    Last edited by whamo; 05-22-2010 at 10:12 AM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast