Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• Welcome Home

Silly Post of the Week: MiceChatters That Are OLDER Than Disneyland! You?

Yep, some of us geezers were actually born before DL opened in July 1955.

Actually DL was the third best thing that happened that year. #1 - the polio vaccine. #2 - Rosa Parks deciding she was not going to give up her seat on that Montgomery bus.

When were you born, fellow older than Disneyland person? (I'm May '55). What cool/important events do you remember from your earliest years?

(I said it was a silly post - at least this one isn't likely to get merged with a similar thread)
    Last edited by Screwy Squirrel; 05-20-2010 at 05:24 PM. Reason: typo

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Arizona's own

Blog Entries

Re: Silly Post of the Week: MiceChatters That Are OLDER Than Disneyland! You?

I like this thread and although I personally am nowhere near that age, my husband the cradle robber, is six months older than Disneyland (January 1955).

I want to know how many of 1955 babies think you get to celebrate your birthday as long as Disneyland does? He celebrated 50 for 18 friggin months.

• Hug a Billy

The Golden Horseshoe/Big Thunder Jamboree

I was born in 1948 and went to Disneyland for the first time the day it opened to the public, July 18, 1955 with my parents and brother (Lost Boy on this board).

I remember watching I Love Lucy - not reruns but the first run real thing.
    I remember getting the polio vaccination.
    I remember watching The Loretta Young Show.
    I remember going to see Oklahoma with my Mother but the movie was so long she made us leave right before Curly set fire to the haystack. It was years before I finally knew how it all turned out.

• Here's my 2 cents

hey screwy squirrel! I'm a May '55 as well! and we live in the same city? and we're Mc'ers, yikes! see you at the noon meet? now thats just weird.
    I reject your reality and substitute my own

• Here's my 2 cents

Quote Originally Posted by pratt55 View Post
    I want to know how many of 1955 babies think you get to celebrate your birthday as long as Disneyland does? He celebrated 50 for 18 friggin months.
    that would be me!

Oct 1950

I clearly remember watching the original MM Club and thinking Cubbie was the cutest boy in the world. LOL

dsny1mom

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I was born in 1947.

I remember watching Walt Disney talking about Disneyland, on his television program. At this time we only had a black and white television. I don't think we got a color television until way after the Wonderful World of Color debuted on TV.

I remember seeing the Mickey Mouse Club on television in the afternoon. My sister liked the mouseketeer Karen. I fell in love with Jiminy Cricket on the Mickey Mouse Club when he did the "I'm No Fool Spots." I always felt a little bad for Donald.

I only saw Disneyland on television when I was a kid, and I never got there until I was 57 years old.

My brother loved Davey Crockett, and I loved Spin and Marty. I liked it better before they added all the girls. I hated it when Spin and Marty fought over Annette. Later there was Zorro, and The Hardy Boys, Annette grew up on television, and what teenage boy didn't love her? So that scene in Stand By Me, is so, so true. I never liked Tommy Kirk, but I loved Robbie On My Three Sons, and especially loved it when Tim Considine was the third son.

I also grew up on the Honeymooners, and The Hit Parade. Saturday nights was when my dad would call our mom to see of we were up, and he would bring home root beer and icecream for root beer floats. It's one of my fondest memories of my dad.

I remember when penny candy was really a penny, and you took the bottle back to the store for your 2 cent deposit. I remember licking green stamps so my mom could take them to the redemption center to get something great for the house.

I loved shows like I love Lucy, I Married Joan, My Little Margie, and Amos and Andy.

I remember when the White Sox won the pennant and Chicago set off the air raid sirens to celebrate. That freaked everyone out.

I remember when Walt Disney talked about Disney World, and I also remember the day they said that he had died. Of course by that time, I was an old married woman.

• Here's my 2 cents

hey barbaraann, great post^^^^ I have vague memories of the three stooges hosted by Don lamond (?) amd taking what I assume was a polio vacine by sugar cube (?) love all those shows and i remember them all

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Three Stooges. I watched a lot of them.

I could go on and on about what television I watched as a kid. Of course when our dad was home he determined what channel the television was on. So the night the Beatles were on Ed Sullivan, we had to ask him nicely to let us watch.

• Here's my 2 cents

Quote Originally Posted by Barbaraann View Post
    the night the Beatles were on Ed Sullivan, we had to ask him nicely to let us watch.
    us too! we had a strict bedtime and we BEGGED to see them, but my bro and I were put to bet, but when the Beatles came on the show our parents called to us to come out to see them, very special, I had a vivid memory of that night, all time favorite memory of our parents relenting to us for once!

• Here's my 2 cents

since we're on making memories, this is my 500th post, great thread for this moment

• Banned User

umm no i an not older then disneyland.. i was born in 1979.. lol...

Quote Originally Posted by pratt55 View Post
    I like this thread and although I personally am nowhere near that age, my husband the cradle robber, is six months older than Disneyland (January 1955).

that's funny!!! people like that are funny! i would milk it also i was in that age range!! but sadly i'm not..1979 was waaaay after disneyland was built!
    Last edited by MickeyMaxx; 05-20-2010 at 10:26 PM.

I was a teenager when I first went to Disneyland in 1955. I am an AP as are my Children and Grandchildren. I was reading the "warning" signs that are at the entrances to Space Mountain, Splash Mountain, and Big Thunder RR and had to LOL. I have all of the issues listed.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

I missed the cutoff by about 11 months...born June 20, 1956.

My first Disneyland visit was in either 1960 or 1961, and I remember being scared by the dancers in the Indian Village, and having delicious pancakes at Aunt Jemima's.

I vaguely remember the Mickey Mouse clubhouse, and if I remember correctly we saw Jimmie Dodd and the Mouseketeers in person.

I remember the night my Mom got the crazed phone call that a song recorded by my cousins, called "Surfin' ", was playing on the radio that very minute.

My family watched that Ed Sullivan show that historic night with equal parts excitement, anxiety and fear over what the impact might be to the cousins noted above.

I watched Captain Kangaroo, and (local in the LA area) Chucko the Clown and Sheriff John and Engineer Bill (drink your milk, red light green light).

But, alas, I'm a little too young for this crowd.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Disney Fan & Musician

I'm older than DCA.
    Follow me on --> Twitter (@soda)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast