Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• e komo mai

Wink Don't Go Broke this Xmas

Here's my new strategy this year for Xmas shopping:
    Don't kill myself doing it.

I was thinking about the huge push there is right now to hype Black Friday (the Friday after Thanksgiving) and I have my own take on it. Instead of increasing my debt on my credit cards and spending all my money, I'm going to be practical about it.

My friends and family don't want me to destroy my bank account while I celebrate them. And I know for a fact that they don't want me to go into anymore debt than I already am. So, I'm going to buy fewer gifts this year and spend more quality time with them instead. Maybe I'll even make gifts for them this year. They always enjoy things that I make that takes some thought.

Anyway, my advice is don't over do it.

What are your thoughts about Xmas shopping and debt?

• I'm your huckleberry.

Re: Don't Go Broke this Xmas

Well, seeing as how I don't have any credit cards, I can't go into debt for Xmas. I'm a cash only shopper year-round.

Quote Originally Posted by Senator David Wu (D-OR)
    Don't let faux-klingons send real Americans to war!

Quote Originally Posted by TheHousingBubbleBlog
    Everyone says that the U.S. doesn’t make anything anymore, but that’s not exactly true. We’re the world leader in the manufacturing of bull****.

• e komo mai

Quote Originally Posted by a_hyperbole
    Well, seeing as how I don't have any credit cards, I can't go into debt for Xmas. I'm a cash only shopper year-round.
    Lucky! Stay that way!
    Just say 'no' to credit cards!

• I'm your huckleberry.

I wish I was that smart! Credit cards say no to me. I was supid in my younger days, so now I just avoid credit like the plague.

Quote Originally Posted by Senator David Wu (D-OR)
    Don't let faux-klingons send real Americans to war!

Quote Originally Posted by TheHousingBubbleBlog
    Everyone says that the U.S. doesn’t make anything anymore, but that’s not exactly true. We’re the world leader in the manufacturing of bull****.

• Banned User

I do my shopping all thru the months of September, october and november, some times I get it all done by August!! I am officially done, but I am going on black friday ( like every year) to get special gifts like a tv dvd for mom this year. I got her a beautiful bed set, but she is now trying to learn the guitar so she needs a dvd played to see how to play it. and I want to be able to watch my ney flix movies there two they never wanted a dvd until now, so why not get thetv to go with it.
    Going broke, nope, I never do, not if I do things way ahead of time and with each paycheck. I do not get the great sales at the end like most, but again I am done and that to me is what counts.

• e komo mai

Quote Originally Posted by a_hyperbole
    Credit cards say no to me.
    That may be a blessing in disguise.

You don't have to cry in January when the credit card bills roll in for your Xmas purchases.

• e komo mai

Thumbs up Re: Don't Go Broke this Xmas

Quote Originally Posted by hakuna makarla
    I do my shopping all thru the months of September, october and november, some times I get it all done by August!!
    Spreading it out does help. I think that's a great idea.

• Banned User

I am already maxed out. I payed for lawyers to fight for my grand kids with mine! I am paying them all off this year with my taxes, doing the happy dance oh yeah!! Then I am cutting them up!!! ( well all but one )

• insufferable know-it-all

I try to have most of my shopping done before Thanksgiving. Nothing worse than trying to pick out gifts for your loved ones with 3000 of your closest friends doing the same thing. The only person I deliberately shop for on Black Friday is myself. Some stores have one or two ridiculously good deals that day, and if they happen to be something you want.... well, anyway, good stuff. However, I'll be spending this Black Friday on the white slopes at big blue.

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• e komo mai

Quote Originally Posted by hakuna makarla
    I am paying them all off this year with my taxes, doing the happy dance oh yeah!! Then I am cutting them up!!! ( well all but one )
    Wow! Congrats! I think that's great. We're hoping to do that very soon.
    We have way too many credit cards.

• Banned User

I tell you whats is easiest to me
    1. next time you go to the toy section or any section you see a fantastic buy on, pick it up put it away and there is one gift. I do this thru out the year and I have all birthdays and holidays covered. I bouth mom the awsome bed set, it cost me less then 20.00, real price 69.00 Rachal got one too, hers was less then 12.00 and regularly cost 59.00 They are complete sets, and very pretty. They do not know they cost me little, they just know they got a pretty full set of bedding. A queen set, and a full set.
    boys got toys that were on major sale thru out the year, C loves spiderman, I found a spiderman sale on action figures ( 99 cents and regular price was 9.99 !! Beau likes race cars,. I got some 75 percent off and he got so many. Yeah I got all my shopping done !I went to ebay yesterday and got my nephew the light up mobile for under 15.00 . He was the last on my list. ( besides my secret santa in the lady belles here)

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini Cricket
    Wow! Congrats! I think that's great. We're hoping to do that very soon.
    We have way too many credit cards.
    Thank you
    yeah, I was foolish enough to get 5 of them, but soon I will be down to 1 and it will be paid off to , maybe disneyland for me again

• Happy Memories

My solution: As much as I love picking out and giving special gifts to everyone I know, I just don't. I limit my gift giving to immediate family only. The rest of the friends and family recieve cards, love and quality time spent with me. I can't afford to go all out and I always feel bad giving to one person and not another. It's easiest for me, and they are all generally very understanding when I tell them that I'm only shopping for my mother, sister and fiance (sometimes grandparents). This also allows me to spend more on the important people and get them decent gifts instead of being spread thin and giving mediocre gifts to everyone I know.

• Banned User

I hear ya HArry, my friends get fudge. I only get my family to, and not all at that. I have 18 neices and nephews, 6 brothers and sisters and well you know how many aunts LOL! I get my kids, my parents my sister ruth . my friends get my fudge, 2 pounds of it. I think I like the fudge the best love the fudge)))))))))))))))))))))

• most magical vaca ever

This year is the first year that I am putting an end to the total craziness! I am NOT going overboard with a million gifts for the kids that we will eventually toss or give away!

For the extended family I am suggesting a grab bag amongst all the kids so we'll only have to buy 2 gifts instead of 15. It's out of control~ These kids get WAY too much and I'm not going to allow them to forget what Christmas is really about!

As for credit cards I'll never learn my lesson!
    ~~~~~~

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast