•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Tell us about Colorado

I am still reading the California posts, which is good. Surprised not more mention of Disneyland in that thread.

It is on to Colorado.

Colorado is bordered by Wyoming, Nebraska, Kansas, Oklahoma, New Mexico, Arizona, and Utah. The state is rectangular in shape. The capital of Colorado is Denver. Denver is also it's largest city. Denver is the 8th largest state by size and the 22nd by population. Population is about 4 and a half million people. The distance between Denver and Disneyland is approximately 1,000 miles.

So what do you know about this state. Have you ever been there? The sister of my sister in law, lives in Denver. I myself have never been there.

Tell us about Colorado.

• Happy Memories

Re: Tell us about Colorado

My mother and othe members of my family lived there for a while when mom was a kid. It's one of the places that I've always wanted to visit but haven't yet. I wish we would have been able to make a family trip out there while my grandfather was still with us as I'm sure he could have shared much with me. Alas i will be on my own when I eventually get out there. They lived within walking distance of Doc Holidays grave site. As a teen I thought that was pretty darn cool.

• I'm your huckleberry.

Colorado is home to one of the most kick a$$ resturants in the world!!!!!

Casa Bonita

Cartman kills for this place... um literally. I visited Casa Bonita when I was a kid, and it really is awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Senator David Wu (D-OR)
    Don't let faux-klingons send real Americans to war!

Quote Originally Posted by TheHousingBubbleBlog
    Everyone says that the U.S. doesn’t make anything anymore, but that’s not exactly true. We’re the world leader in the manufacturing of bull****.

• Banned User

nice place, to buisy for me! I have relatives living there!

• Rally Vixen

Blog Entries

Nathan was born and raised in Denver. Both of my children where born in Denver. We lived in Arvada for the first 3.5 years of our marriage. Nathan's family is all still there. We are really hoping to get there next summer.

There is nothing quite like living in Colorado. Minus the snow and being so far from my family, I loved living there. The crispness of the air. The frequent changes in weather. The clouds rolling off the Rockies.

My love of sports was intesified when I lived there. The Broncos won their first Super Bowl just after Nathan and I moved there. My love for the Colorado Avalanche was set in stone. Fourth of July was not complete without a trip to a Colorado Rockies game for a soccer game and some great fireworks.

I miss the monkeys at the Denver Zoo and the swimming tigers at Ocean Journey. I miss summer electrical storms.

One of my favorite trips ever in Colorado was a train trip through the Rockies from Denver to Glenwood Springs. It was the beginning of summer and the mountains were alive. The colors were breathtaking.
    Anything listed on the park maps as an attraction is fair game for inclusion in the Rally.
    I cannot confirm nor deny the inclusion of any attraction in the Rally.

May the Gumballs Be with You...Always.

NO GOATS!

• I'm your huckleberry.

Quote Originally Posted by mamabot
    Nathan was born and raised in Denver. Both of my children where born in Denver. We lived in Arvada for the first 3.5 years of our marriage. Nathan's family is all still there. We are really hoping to get there next summer.

There is nothing quite like living in Colorado. Minus the snow and being so far from my family, I loved living there. The crispness of the air. The frequent changes in weather. The clouds rolling off the Rockies.

My love of sports was intesified when I lived there. The Broncos won their first Super Bowl just after Nathan and I moved there. My love for the Colorado Avalanche was set in stone. Fourth of July was not complete without a trip to a Colorado Rockies game for a soccer game and some great fireworks.

I miss the monkeys at the Denver Zoo and the swimming tigers at Ocean Journey. I miss summer electrical storms.

One of my favorite trips ever in Colorado was a train trip through the Rockies from Denver to Glenwood Springs. It was the beginning of summer and the mountains were alive. The colors were breathtaking.
    Okay, now I want to visit Colorado again! Mamabot, your description is breathtaking!

Hey, where's Nephy on this thread? She's a Colorado girl!

Quote Originally Posted by Senator David Wu (D-OR)
    Don't let faux-klingons send real Americans to war!

Quote Originally Posted by TheHousingBubbleBlog
    Everyone says that the U.S. doesn’t make anything anymore, but that’s not exactly true. We’re the world leader in the manufacturing of bull****.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

Colorado's not too bad. I lived there for about 8 years. My parents still do. It's pretty much as Mambot describes. Other than the cold and snow, I wouldn't have minded staying there.

I miss the mountains the most (other than my parents ) They're SO SO pretty. I miss being able to go up to Rocky Mtn. National Park for the day. I still have a hard time with east vs. west because I don't have the mountain to guide me.

Denver is such a great city as well. Many memories. I miss the storms also and the flash floods. And the colors. And living in a nice town with friendly people, low crime and traffic that wasn't bad at all. The mix of town to land to town as I went to school.

Go CSU Rams

It's a GREAT place to vacation, wonderful place to live if you don't mind icy roads (but the winter is mild usually!)
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• white and nerdy

You Know You're From Colorado When... People move onto the highway at 15 miles an hour.

You have absolutely no recognizable accent.

If the humidity gets above 25%, you consider it "muggy".

You only go to Central City when friends are in from out of town.

You have been skiing less than 10 times in your life

You think 5-points is a ghetto.

You are the third car to run a red light after it has changed.

You say things like "I don't care how big Golden is, it's still a one-horse town".

You think only stupid people get lost in your town.

When giving directions, you never say "Turn left, turn right", it's always go West, then South.

During a thunderstorm you wonder "which I-25 underpass is flooding".

You never plan a picnic between 3:30 and 6:00 in Spring or Summer months.

If it rains more than 2 days straight you compare the weather to being in Seattle.

You voted for higher taxes to fund Coors field, but voted down taxes for public transportation.

You have a broken windshield.

You see no reason to travel to Aurora.

The only RTD bus you've been on is the 16th Street shuttle.

You carry your $3,000 mountain bike on top of your $500 car.

You thought "Californication" would be banned by Amendment 2.

You think "South Park" is a place to stop for gas on your way to Buena Vista.

You have a business degree and are frying burgers at a McDonald's in Vail.

You have a flat tire in your refrigerator and your garage.

You own a big dog named Aspen, Buck, Cheyenne or Dakota that wears a bandanna.

You cast out your fishing line while white-water rafting.

You've never seen the tourist attractions in your own city.

You think a pass does not involve a football or a woman.

You are 82 years old and take up snowboarding.

Your real Y2K fear was running out of Celestial Seasonings tea and trail mix.

The entire top of your head is bald, but you still have a pony tail.

You personally wouldn't pay $10 per head to drive up Pikes Peak unless it was the only mountain on earth, but you tell all our house-guests to do it.

You get depressed after one day of foggy weather.

You think that formal wear is ironed denim.

North means "mountains to the left;" south is "mountains to the right;" and east and west are where all those damned liberals keep moving in from.

You go anywhere else on the planet and the air feels "sticky" and you notice the sky is no longer blue.

You consider a three-piece suit to be a pair of shorts, a sweatshirt and Birkenstocks.

You see your East Coast relatives now more than when you lived there.

You think gun control is a steady hand.

You can run up 10 flights of stairs without huffing and puffing.

You've stood on solid ground and looked down on an airplane in flight.

You know what the "Peoples Republic of Boulder" means.

You're a meat eating vegetarian.

You think the major food groups are Boulder Bars, tofu and Fat Tire Beer.

You've been tear gassed in a riot to celebrate your local sports team's victory.

You can drive over a 12,000 foot pass in 4 feet of snow, but can't get to work if there are 4 inches of snow.

You know the correct pronunciation of Buena Vista.

When you visit friends at sea level, you can drink a case of beer and not get a buzz.

Your car insurance costs more than your car.

You have surge protectors on every outlet.

April showers bring May blizzards.

You see someone riding a Harley in a snowstorm, and you look closer to see if it's anyone you know.

"Timberline" is someplace you have actually been. Many times.

You know what a "Chinook" is. You know what a "rocky mountain oyster" is. You know what a "fourteener" is. But you don't know what a "turn signal" is.

A bear on your front porch doesn't bother you nearly as much as a Democrat in Congress does.

Your golf bag has a 9-iron, a 3-wood and a lightning-rod.

People from other states breathe 5 times as often as you do.

Having a Senator named Nighthorse doesn't seem strange.

Thunder has set off your car alarm.

A sudden loss of cabin pressure is not a big deal.

"Where we're going, we don't need roads!"

You know where Doc Holliday's grave is.

You can recognize the license plates of all 50 states on sight.

Driving directions usually include 'Go over ____ Pass...'

You've used "checking for ticks" as an excuse to get someone naked.

You've gone skiing in July. You've gone sunbathing in January. They were both in the same year.

You get a certain feeling of satisfaction from knowing that California and Texas are both downstream

You know the elevation of a town, but not its population.

You never pack away your coat and sweaters.

You can name only two people you know who were actually born in Colorado.

You call tumbleweed "groundcover".

You love your Broncos, your Avs, your Rockies, Nuggets - well you can't have everything.

You or someone you know plays golf 12 months of the year.

You don't have AC in your home, but you use it in your car all winter long.

If it snows in the morning you expect it to be gone by lunchtime.

You can name the states that make up the Four Corners.

You know what and where the Continental Divide is.
    St. Elizabeth, Patron Saint of Themed parks. Protect us from break downs, long lines, and used gum. Amen.

"Dance like it hurts, love like you need money, and work when people are watching" - Dogbert

• Original Mice-Chatter

Quote Originally Posted by thejoshualee
    You Know You're From Colorado When... People move onto the highway at 15 miles an hour. -yes, and I curse them

You have absolutely no recognizable accent. Not that I notice- others do though

If the humidity gets above 25%, you consider it "muggy". Bah- I've been to Florida- I know muggy

You only go to Central City when friends are in from out of town. I never go to CC, ever

You have been skiing less than 10 times in your life No, I've been more, but have not been since junior high

You think 5-points is a ghetto. For CO- it is.

You are the third car to run a red light after it has changed. Nope

You say things like "I don't care how big Golden is, it's still a one-horse town". Nope

You think only stupid people get lost in your town. No

When giving directions, you never say "Turn left, turn right", it's always go West, then South. Uh, not me, but I hear it from others

During a thunderstorm you wonder "which I-25 underpass is flooding". wow- this has never crossed my mind

You never plan a picnic between 3:30 and 6:00 in Spring or Summer months. Rain? who cares about rain (but you note, I knew what this meant LOL

If it rains more than 2 days straight you compare the weather to being in Seattle. HA- some people do, yes

You voted for higher taxes to fund Coors field, but voted down taxes for public transportation. Not me

You have a broken windshield. Nope, knock on wood

You see no reason to travel to Aurora. I lived there- hell no I have no reason to go back- rarely

The only RTD bus you've been on is the 16th Street shuttle. hmm, yea

You carry your $3,000 mountain bike on top of your $500 car. nope

You thought "Californication" would be banned by Amendment 2. No, but don't get me started on the will of the people being overturned by the courts

You think "South Park" is a place to stop for gas on your way to Buena Vista. naw

You have a business degree and are frying burgers at a McDonald's in Vail.oh hell no

You have a flat tire in your refrigerator and your garage. nope

You own a big dog named Aspen, Buck, Cheyenne or Dakota that wears a bandanna. I have cats

You cast out your fishing line while white-water rafting. nope

You've never seen the tourist attractions in your own city. I have- I like being a tourist here

You think a pass does not involve a football or a woman. huh?

You are 82 years old and take up snowboarding. oh lordie no

Your real Y2K fear was running out of Celestial Seasonings tea and trail mix. nope

The entire top of your head is bald, but you still have a pony tail. heehee, no

You personally wouldn't pay $10 per head to drive up Pikes Peak unless it was the only mountain on earth, but you tell all our house-guests to do it. I love driving the Pikes Peak Highway!

You get depressed after one day of foggy weather. hardly

You think that formal wear is ironed denim. NO

North means "mountains to the left;" south is "mountains to the right;" and east and west are where all those damned liberals keep moving in from. I don't think about liberals- but otherwise yeah

You go anywhere else on the planet and the air feels "sticky" and you notice the sky is no longer blue. FLORIDA

You consider a three-piece suit to be a pair of shorts, a sweatshirt and Birkenstocks. eww, Birkenstocks?

You see your East Coast relatives now more than when you lived there. nope

You think gun control is a steady hand. heehee, sure

You can run up 10 flights of stairs without huffing and puffing. I wish

You've stood on solid ground and looked down on an airplane in flight. No, but that would be COOL

You know what the "Peoples Republic of Boulder" means. yes, yes I do

You're a meat eating vegetarian. Omnivore baby

You think the major food groups are Boulder Bars, tofu and Fat Tire Beer. puh-lease

You've been tear gassed in a riot to celebrate your local sports team's victory. Nope- missed that one

You can drive over a 12,000 foot pass in 4 feet of snow, but can't get to work if there are 4 inches of snow. not me- but it is fun to see the 4 wheel drive idiots be the first in the ditch cause they think they can drive fast in the snow

You know the correct pronunciation of Buena Vista. Doesn't everyone?

When you visit friends at sea level, you can drink a case of beer and not get a buzz. haven't tried this one

Your car insurance costs more than your car. nope

You have surge protectors on every outlet. no

April showers bring May blizzards. Damn..yes

You see someone riding a Harley in a snowstorm, and you look closer to see if it's anyone you know. nope

"Timberline" is someplace you have actually been. Many times. yep

You know what a "Chinook" is. You know what a "rocky mountain oyster" is. You know what a "fourteener" is. But you don't know what a "turn signal" is. No, I know them all

A bear on your front porch doesn't bother you nearly as much as a Democrat in Congress does. LOL- not really

Your golf bag has a 9-iron, a 3-wood and a lightning-rod. Don't golf

People from other states breathe 5 times as often as you do. LOL- probably

Having a Senator named Nighthorse doesn't seem strange. I love him!

Thunder has set off your car alarm. no..but that's funny

A sudden loss of cabin pressure is not a big deal. wha?

"Where we're going, we don't need roads!" that would be my mom- whole nother story

You know where Doc Holliday's grave is. hmmmm, not sure

You can recognize the license plates of all 50 states on sight. LOL- no

Driving directions usually include 'Go over ____ Pass...' why do people think we are driving in the moutains all the time?

You've used "checking for ticks" as an excuse to get someone naked. NO-ewwwww

You've gone skiing in July. You've gone sunbathing in January. They were both in the same year. no- see ski answer above

You get a certain feeling of satisfaction from knowing that California and Texas are both downstream not sure what that means

You know the elevation of a town, but not its population. I know Parker is higher than Denver

You never pack away your coat and sweaters. pretty much

You can name only two people you know who were actually born in Colorado. most likely

You call tumbleweed "groundcover". no, I call it a road hazard

You love your Broncos, your Avs, your Rockies, Nuggets - well you can't have everything. we also have pro soccer and womens basketball-but I hate the Nuggets

You or someone you know plays golf 12 months of the year. yup

You don't have AC in your home, but you use it in your car all winter long. no, I use my heater

If it snows in the morning you expect it to be gone by lunchtime. yes! thank goodness

You can name the states that make up the Four Corners. I think so

You know what and where the Continental Divide is. yeah, I think...LOL
    So yeah- I live here......

• white and nerdy

You call tumbleweed "groundcover". no, I call it a road hazard
    That is even more funny than the original
    St. Elizabeth, Patron Saint of Themed parks. Protect us from break downs, long lines, and used gum. Amen.

"Dance like it hurts, love like you need money, and work when people are watching" - Dogbert

• MiceChat Moderator
    • I'm back! Sorta...

Quote Originally Posted by a_hyperbole
    Colorado is home to one of the most kick a$$ resturants in the world!!!!!

Casa Bonita

Cartman kills for this place... um literally. I visited Casa Bonita when I was a kid, and it really is awesome.
    My parents owned a store across the street from this place. Well, it's not Disneyland and this was a situation where familiarity breeded contempt!

Still, yes, it is fun to go there with tourists. And like California, we have many.

Peace,
    Roo
    husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend

• MiceChat Moderator
    • I'm back! Sorta...

Well, what can I say? I tried to move away once for college, hoping in vain that I would find a job elsewhere. It wasn't the place, however, it was my family. But when I dreamed out on the plains in undergraduate, I noticed the mountains in every one. I missed them.

I applied for about 10 teaching positions and who was the first to respond? Colorado. An hour away from where I had lived.

Fate? I suppose. I had to return to the mountains.

And I've never left. I've contemplated it several times...my family is still here, after all.

For me, however, there is something in the air. Our bigger secret is, probably, the weather. There isn't any. It changes in, like, 15 minutes. Sure, we do get some snow but it melts by the time you get your boots on.

I was born in New York, however, and my parents still carry heavy Brooklyn accents. My mother's marriage brought us out here for new employment. My 'rents always mentioned how they miss two things about life out East. The food and the beach. I've gone with them when they returned to New York and I can see why.

And now, as my kids grow, I can say to my wee ones, I miss two things about Colorado--the mountains and, well, since the food isn't exactly the greatest (Fast Food Nation was written here in Colorado Springs!), I can say 'the weather.'

I do love it here. I hope I can stay sometime longer. The job outlook these days is a bit bleak, to say the least, and so I'm debating about starting over.

But somehow, I can't help thinking, I'll be back, backpack strapped up and SUV loaded, heading to my Rocky Mountains.

BTW, I live in the shadow of Pikes Peak, the most visited mountain in the world, probably outside of the Matterhorn. Ours is a bit more natural, not nearly as exciting, but the view from the top? Breathtaking.

Peace to all,
    Roo

Let me know when you wanna come visit. I'll show ya around--I know some great coffeehouses and terrific campsites.
    husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend