Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Resume Tips

• I'm your huckleberry.

Resume Tips

So I'm here at work going through a stack of resumes for people who applied for a position that is currently open. I'm just writing out the
    "thanks but no thanks" letters, but I've come across several things that a lot of people do that make me immediately toss their resume in the trash. I know I cannot be the only one.

Here's a list of tips for writing a resume that people will actually read (based on mistakes I've seen just today):

• Make sure your name is spelled correctly
    • Keep your cover letter down to one page. I do not have time to read a 6 page essay on why you did a lot of volunteer work in college.
    • Make sure you are qualified for the open position. If you're applying for a job as a computer tech, don't tell all about your art history classes.
    • Spell check the entire document.
    • Keep your resume down to 2 pages, max.
    • Do not list every job you have had for the past 108 years, from your childhood newspaper route to the present. I don't care.
    • Check the formatting of your document. If "Sincerely," appears on one page, and your name on the other, something is wrong.
    • Do not attach original college transcrips to your application. If I want transcrips I'll ask for them.
    • There is no need to list 10 references, with their address and phone number. Nor letters from each of them. If an ad specifically asks for references provide 3-5. If it doesn't ask for them, a simple "Excellent references provided upon request" is just fine.
    • I do not want to read your college thesis paper on the gestation period of killer whales.
    • I know printing your resume on nice bond paper is a good thing, but don't print it on card stock.
    • Don't print your resume on pink, softly flowered paper. Or paper of any color but white for that matter.
    • Don't hand write your cover letter.
    • Make sure your name is at the top of each page. If I have to look for your name for more than 3 seconds, the resume is going in the trash.
    • Don't use weird or cute fonts to type your resume. Stick with the basics.
    Those are my tips for the day. If you think you may have committed one of these sins, PM me. To save others from having to go through this crap, I'd be happy to edit someones resume.

Quote Originally Posted by Senator David Wu (D-OR)
    Don't let faux-klingons send real Americans to war!

Quote Originally Posted by TheHousingBubbleBlog
    Everyone says that the U.S. doesn’t make anything anymore, but that’s not exactly true. We’re the world leader in the manufacturing of bull****.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Re: Resume Tips

So what company or business do you work for Hyper? Or are you not allowed to say?

• Gay Man

Fabulous tips! I, too, have thrown resume's directly into the trash for commiting one of the great sins mentioned above.

• 'Taint sure it's puddin!

Good tips - I used to be in on the hiring process for our IT department in my last job and I could relate to many of your tips! Amazing how communication skills have died, isn't it?
    "Search the boat...."
    First works spoken by Captain Nemo (James Mason) in the Disney classic - 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea

PROUD Member Of................

Do you MiceChat?
    There are several ways for you to help support the site you love:
    - visit the MiceChat store
    - Make a donation with one of the boxes at the bottom of the page
    Whatever you do, your help is much appreciated!

• I'm your huckleberry.

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Wrassler
    So what company or business do you work for Hyper? Or are you not allowed to say?
    I work at the San Diego Zoo.

Everyone says that the U.S. doesn’t make anything anymore, but that’s not exactly true. We’re the world leader in the manufacturing of bull****.

• oh bugger

What is your opinion of 2 page resumes, it seems to me the popular idea is that anything over a single page may get your resume into that trash bin. I don't want to make the font super tiny, but how would you suggest fitting more information onto a single page, or is 2 pages not as big of a taboo as some people say? I'll send my resume and cover letter to you later tonight when I'm not at work... I would be really greatful for any review... Thanks for the advice.

• Hello there

Blog Entries

Hyper- I agree. I especially agree with the length of the resume. I don't need the history of your life!
    Fratsor Sister - Delta Mu Chi Alpha

ΔΜΧΑ

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by a_hyperbole
    I work at the San Diego Zoo.
    Really? I've been there awhile back. That is cool. Do you see a lot of artists there with their sketch pads?

• I'm your huckleberry.

Quote Originally Posted by jurgenb52
    What is your opinion of 2 page resumes, it seems to me the popular idea is that anything over a single page may get your resume into that trash bin. I don't want to make the font super tiny, but how would you suggest fitting more information onto a single page, or is 2 pages not as big of a taboo as some people say? I'll send my resume and cover letter to you later tonight when I'm not at work... I would be really greatful for any review... Thanks for the advice.
    Two pages are fine by me. I say a good rule of thumb is if you have 5-10 years of RELEVENT work experience, keep it at one page, over 10 years, go for two. Instead of calling your work experience section "Work Experience" put something like "Relevant Work Experience" or "Selected Examples of Employment". Leave some stuff out if you need to, but don't use font smaller than 8 or 10 point.

I'd be glad to look at it, but I won't be able to until tomorrow morning.

• Gobble Effing Gobble (TM)

My résumé is printed on both sides of nice bond paper... yay or nay?

I also have a few copies of semi-glossy (almost like magazine paper, but thicker)

• I'm your huckleberry.

Really? I've been there awhile back. That is cool. Do you see a lot of artists there with their sketch pads?
    Not too many artists, but a lot of photographers. Here's an interesting Disney tie-in. My office is right next to the meerkat exhibit where the Disney artists studied real meerkats for a basis for Timon from the Lion King! Pretty cool I think.

• I'm your huckleberry.

Quote Originally Posted by mkt
    My résumé is printed on both sides of nice bond paper... yay or nay?

I also have a few copies of semi-glossy (almost like magazine paper, but thicker)
    No one will look at the back side, sorry. Unless you're sending in pictures for a playboy spread, loose the glossy paper.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by a_hyperbole
    Not too many artists, but a lot of photographers. Here's an interesting Disney tie-in. My office is right next to the meerkat exhibit where the Disney artists studied real meerkats for a basis for Timon from the Lion King! Pretty cool I think.
    NEAT!!!! Did you know that Walt Disney use to always go to the zoo before he was famous and sketch out animals? He also use to sketch out animals that lived on his farm in Marceline when he was growing up.

• Gobble Effing Gobble (TM)

the 2 sided and the glossy are specialty ones for publishing jobs.. lol.

My standard 2 pages has gotten me jobs and flown in to pretty cities for job interviews... that one will never get old.

• I'm your huckleberry.

NEAT!!!! Did you know that Walt Disney use to always go to the zoo before he was famous and sketch out animals? He also use to sketch out animals that lived on his farm in Marceline when he was growing up.
    So did Dr. Seuss! Actually the Flamigo pond here is named after him!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast