Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Tell us about Kentucky

Kentucky is The Bluegrass State. Population, about 4.1 million people. This state ranks 36th in land area and 26th in Population. Kentucky is bordered by Tennessee, Missouri, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, West Virginia and Virginia. The capital is Frankfort. The largest city is Louisville. The distance between Disneyland and Louisville is about 2100 miles.

Kentucky, famous for the Kentucky Derby. Do you live in this state, or know someone who has, or still does.

Tell us about Kentucky.

May 11 - 16, 2015

• And, THEN she said...

Re: Tell us about Kentucky

Kentucky is the only place the Corvette is made (Corvette Museum/Factory Bowling Green)

Home of the Mammoth Cave System one of the biggest series of caves in the world

Home of Lost River Cave, Lost River Cave was the hideout of Jesse and Frank James

Really cold and snows here!

has the most shoreline of any state lakes, creeks, etc

greenriver Catfish Festival

Kentucky Horse Park...they have horses of every breed there for people to see

Main Crops..Tobacco, Soybeans, Corn,

State Bird.. the Cardinal flower Goldenrod i think the state tree is the Dogwood..not sure on that one. State Song..My Old Kentucky Home (played During the opening of the KY Derby)

Birthplace of Aberham Lincoln his homeplace is now a part of the parks Dept. (the bf is a direct descendant of him) as is Daniel Boone

Birthplace Of Bill Monroe the father of Bluegrass Music (I groomed his dog)

Birthplace Of Loretta Lynn, George Clooney, June Carter Cash,Edward Furlong, Stephen Foster
    Last edited by Groomer; 11-17-2005 at 10:42 PM.

• And, THEN she said...

More than $6 billion worth of gold is held in the underground vaults of Fort Knox. This is the largest amount of gold stored anywhere in the world.

The Kentucky Derby is the oldest continuously held horse race in the country. It is held at Churchill Downs in Louisville on the first Saturday in May

The first Kentucky Fried Chicken restaurant owned and operated by Colonel Sanders is located in Corbin.

Shelby County is recognized as the Saddlebred Capital of Kentucky

The Lost River Cave and Valley Bowling Green includes a cave with the shortest and deepest underground river in the world. It contains the largest cave opening east of the Mississippi

• I'm your huckleberry.

Disney Wrassler lives there!

Quote Originally Posted by Senator David Wu (D-OR)
    Don't let faux-klingons send real Americans to war!

Quote Originally Posted by TheHousingBubbleBlog
    Everyone says that the U.S. doesn’t make anything anymore, but that’s not exactly true. We’re the world leader in the manufacturing of bull****.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by a_hyperbole
    Disney Wrassler lives there!
    That I do I live 40 minutes away from Groomer. So Groomer pretty much hit it on the nail with everything she said about KY. the state bird is the cardinal.

Oh Groomer did you mention it is the birth place of Stephen Foster, the man who wrote the song "My Ole Kentucky Home"?

Also the Jailers Inn in Bardstown, Kentucky has been ranked #9 of the to 10 spookiest places in the United States by the Travel Channel. They say that it is haunted by some former inmates who were hung there. I been to that place there and it is about the size of a normal house.

I looooovvvvveeee Lincolns birthplace and Mammoth Cave though.

Here is a true and interesting story around my area:

A long long time ago (I think like back in the 1800's or something), a circus came here into Glasgow Kentucky and performed at "The Square" which is about 20 minutes from here. Any way, along with the performers came the cholera disease. People began to get sick and now one knew why. But the problem was that coffin makers eventually ran out of people and that the had to resort to burying the dead civilians under the streets of the square. But for some reason people kept getting sick and no one could figure out why. Well they finally realized that the bodies buried underground that still carried the disease had infected the underground drinking water that people brought up from wells and the river. The epidemic nearly wiped out all of the population in Glasgow. And I have noticed that "The Square" is on a hill. They say that it is on a hill because of all the bdies that were buried underneath it.

Oh and around my area, there is also a BUNCH of cemeteries.
    Last edited by Disney Wrassler; 11-18-2005 at 09:02 AM.

• Huh?

Mammoth Cave isn't one of the largest, it is THE largest...

As for Lost River -- It's not the shortest and the deepest. As they'll tell you if you go there, it's not that deep. When it was being measured, the current swept their rope away, causing them to be fooled into thinking it was the deepest. Lost Cave wasn't THE hideout of Jesse James. It may be one that he passed by, but just about every cave from KY and as west as they could go has the same claim. Mark Twain Caverns in Hannibal, Missouri are the only ones with physical proof -- he signed his name on the wall.

The Mammoth Cave/Horse Cave area is what's known as the karstlands. Basically, you can't step a foot without stepping on a cave. Several non-connected caves reside in this area, such as Onyx Cave, Sand Cave (a sandstone cave closed ever since the infamous Trapped! incident), Lost River, and of course, Mammoth Cave. It's gotta be one of my favorite areas around here.

My family has some VERY deep roots in Kentucky. My father was born in the hills of Eastern KY -- Louisa, to be exact. My very-great-grandfather was among the first settlers of Boonesborough and his name is immortalized on the monument in front of the fort. Another family member (his son, I believe), Isaac Crabtree, was the only *white* survivor of the James Boone Massacre at Boonesborough. Because of that incident, he grew to have a rather large hatred of all Indians. When he killed an indian boy (with a blow from behind) that was just standing at a fence watching a horse race, he became a highly wanted man. But because of racial attitudes of that time, he was never caught because most people applauded what he had done. One of the families of the Boonesborough sons eventually moved out west, leaving me with family burried in Boot Hill Cemetary (hmm... wonder if they're at Phantom Manor now...).

When in the Boonesborrough area, visit Hall's On the Bay -- one of the greatest inland seafood restraunts you'll ever find.
    -Tim

• Huh?

I didn't know you were from KY till reading this, wrassler... that very much explains your fascination with the supernatural.

After all, Jack didn't sing "To a guy in Kentucky I am Mr. Unlucky" just because it rhymed...

My bedtime stories that my father told me as a kid involved decapitated baby heads in a well crying at night, blood dripping in the gravy from the tainted lumber that was meant to build the Webb church, and anvils that hammered themselves.

Oh... more on Kentucky: Crabtree Hollow (or, rather, Crabtree Holler as it's properly pronounced) is named after my family.
    -Tim

• I'm your huckleberry.

I've been to Paducah. That's all the experience I have with Kentucky.

Everyone says that the U.S. doesn’t make anything anymore, but that’s not exactly true. We’re the world leader in the manufacturing of bull****.

• I'm your huckleberry.

Quote Originally Posted by FrumiousBoojum
    My bedtime stories that my father told me as a kid involved decapitated baby heads in a well crying at night, blood dripping in the gravy from the tainted lumber that was meant to build the Webb church, and anvils that hammered themselves.
    Well that explains a LOT! j/k

• Huh?

Quote Originally Posted by groomer_4_u
    Birthplace Of Bill Monroe the father of Bluegrass Music (I groomed his dog)
    And my father played with him... yep. My father's a bluegrass musician. He knew Ricky Skaggs when Ricky was a kid since they lived in the same area. Of course, I'm sure Ricky wouldn't recognize him now since that was QUITE a long time ago.
    -Tim

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FrumiousBoojum
    I didn't know you were from KY till reading this, wrassler... that very much explains your fascination with the supernatural.

After all, Jack didn't sing "To a guy in Kentucky I am Mr. Unlucky" just because it rhymed...

Oh... more on Kentucky: Crabtree Hollow (or, rather, Crabtree Holler as it's properly pronounced) is named after my family.
    Well I use to live in So Cal and had a fascination with ghosts there too. But since I moved to Kentucky, its history is even more intriging that Californias history. Oh we also have the waverly Hills Sanatorium. A large place where thousands have died during a plague that swiped through and now it is said to be a hot spot for ghostly activity. The site was made by a group of ghost hunters called the Louisville Ghost Hunters Society. It is a very well known place in the Ghost Hunters field.

• And, THEN she said...

I just rea;ized I screwed upon the state tree..its not the dogwood its the Tulip tree..

• Huh?

I do agree with that... the only place I've been to that's about as weird as Kentucky is Savannah, GA (which, as you should know, is the type of place where the people without a haunting around are the odd ones).

Haven't been down there in a while -- hopefully I can make it to the Karstlands maybe in the spring.
    -Tim

• And, THEN she said...

now a perspective of the state from a California Native...Its WAY diffrent here...the pace is slower, the freeway is nearly empty all ALL times..its humid in the summer and beautiful ion the spring..(reminds me of home) and horrible in the winter..the bf says ive been lucky..I havent been thru a real Ky winter yet..I hope I stay that way! LOL

I'm so used to opening my mouth and having people ask me yourre not from around here, are you? LOL and The bf has the bigest accent after being with him for so long, I still cant understand him when he gets really mad LOL and he still comes off with slang terms that make me look at him twice and I have to make him explain what that means LOL

Horses are so much easier to have here..hay is cheaper, I still cant get used to paying only 2.50 a bale or those big rolls of field hay going for 20 bucks! I had never seen those big rolls till i came here..and im used to paying 10.50 a bale for hay during the winter at home...and thats 3rd cutting! shoeing is way cheaper, tack is amazingly cheap!! and the cost of living..I STILL cant get used to that! but i still do get seriously homesick..all my family is in Cal..if I didnt have the bf's family i think I would go nuts LOL

and when the bf getsw on the subject of paranormal activity he has seen stuff in his farmhouse he used to have that will scare the crap out of you..I still get all papranoid when he starts and ive heard his stories a few times!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Groomer, you won't believe how many times I get asked "Why did you move from Southern California to Glasgow Kentucky?" The reason why is because my dad races dragsters and he has a partner down here. His partner owned some land next to his house on the Barren River so my dad bought that land and whalah! We are now out in middle of the woods about five minutes walking distance from some boat docks. So during the summer I can easliy go down to the docks and swim. It got 19 degrees down here last night.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast