• Sock Puppet

Another Landmark Going!! That Sucks

I just heard the news that Adventure City and Hobby City in Buena Park are going to be demolished for a condo complex. That really sucks. Granted it is a very small amusement area that doesn't attract a lot of people, but it was a nice little landmark. I used to go to the Flintlock to buy my black powder for my civil war reenacting in past years. This is sad news indeed. Anyone else hear this?

• no flash photography...

Re: Another Landmark Going!! That Sucks

no, I hadn't heard, but it does not surprise me.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Supervillan Extrodinaire

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TENORDRUMMER
    I just heard the news that Adventure City and Hobby City in Buena Park are going to be demolished for a condo complex. That really sucks. Granted it is a very small amusement area that doesn't attract a lot of people, but it was a nice little landmark. I used to go to the Flintlock to buy my black powder for my civil war reenacting in past years. This is sad news indeed. Anyone else hear this?
    What unit are you with? I have a few friends who do it up in Nor Cal. They are part of the 20th Maine, company E and Mosbys Raiders.
    Growing older is manditory
    Growing up is however, optional

• pronounced, Casey Jr. 1

I hate to see things go, Like the Ambassador Hotel

This doesn't surpise me, either. I used to enjoy Hobby city when I was younger. I usually spent several hours there. The last few times I went, however, I got bored too easily and left after only a half hour or so. The best thing they had going for them was the antique mall. At one point it rivaled the (also defunct) Lincoln Antique mall.

Another nail in the old OC coffin. It feels like there has been a steady decline since the Spaghetti Station closed down. What is left of the tourist heritage?

• Minion

When is it closing?

I grew up a mile from this place .... a nice diversion .. different than so many ordinary places that dominate Orange Co. .. this sucks.

I never went in that museum that sits in the back .... I guess now is the time to check it out.

• And, THEN she said...

AWWW cant they leave stuff ALONE?! this is SAD..that place has been there my whole life I used to LOVE the rock shop when i was a kid..used to be a MAJOR Rockhound.. Then I fell in love with the hobby shop and Antique Mall...The doll Museum Kind of creeped me out..dont like Porcelain Dolls AT ALL

If I get to come home for a visit..with everything disappearing and crap I may need a damn map to get around!!!!

• Still wants to be a cat!

Wolfette's first theme park was Adventure City, that's how I started her on roller coasters. Of course she's too old for that now, but many kids will miss out on the Mini Theme Park of OC! The article was in the Orange County Register yesterday morning.....so sad.....more over priced condos!
    Mom, remember, it's not what a person is like on the outside that counts,
    it's what they are like in their HEART!

- Wolfette

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by OogieBoogie
    What unit are you with? I have a few friends who do it up in Nor Cal. They are part of the 20th Maine, company E and Mosbys Raiders.

I was originally a southerner with the 1st Texas, then I decided to switch sides and joined the 2nd Vermont. After a couple of years with them, I then joined the 6th Wisconsin. I have been out of the hobby for about 5 years, but am thinking about getting back into it, after seeing a reenactment at Huntington Beach Central Park over Labor Day weekend.

I'm not from SoCal but I discovered the Adventure/Hobby CIty about 15 years ago, quite by accident, and would make it a point to go there every time I was in the area, mainly for the antique mall. That is until last April when we made our last trek to DLR. There just wan't enough time. I felt bad about not making it over there. Now I really feel bad.
    You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Supervillan Extrodinaire

Blog Entries

I was originally a southerner with the 1st Texas, then I decided to switch sides and joined the 2nd Vermont. After a couple of years with them, I then joined the 6th Wisconsin. I have been out of the hobby for about 5 years, but am thinking about getting back into it, after seeing a reenactment at Huntington Beach Central Park over Labor Day weekend.
    Right on. . I joined my friends once at a reinactment in Nevada City. I played a southern partisian fighting with Mosbys forces. It was fun but I had 2 issues with it and thats why I didn't continue.

1) The price of getting a uniform put together, the cost of a gun (either pistol or musket), the cost for the camping gear. It adds up really quick.

2) Most of the guys who belong to it are into wearing white sheets and burning crosses. I want nothing to do with those people.
    Growing older is manditory
    Growing up is however, optional

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by OogieBoogie
    Right on. . I joined my friends once at a reinactment in Nevada City. I played a southern partisian fighting with Mosbys forces. It was fun but I had 2 issues with it and thats why I didn't continue.

1) The price of getting a uniform put together, the cost of a gun (either pistol or musket), the cost for the camping gear. It adds up really quick.

2) Most of the guys who belong to it are into wearing white sheets and burning crosses. I want nothing to do with those people.
    I can agree with you on both points. This hobby is getting too expensive, fortunatley when I first got into it, I bought my musket, in perfect condition, for only $50, but they are close to $500, so I got lucky. At the time, my uniform was not too expensive, but today, it is tough to get it all at once.

Another reason why I quit, was some of the reenactors took it way too seriously and if you were not as authentic, down to the thread, they would shun you. To me, that was a big turn off, so I quit the 2nd Vermont and joined the 6th Wisconsin, which was a more laid back group. They would have beer there in between battles, but still hide it out of the view of the spectators. Even, if I do not get back into it, I still have great memories of it, along with several videos I was in and also my scrapbook.