• Happy Memories

World AIDS Day 2005

As some of you who have known me on various boards over the last couple of years know, this is a cause that is very close to my heart. I know firsthand that often with the hussle and bussle of approaching holidays and generally hectic lives we can sometimes push events like this to the back of our minds and not remember them til it's too late to get involved. So with that in mind I thought I would start this thread as an early reminder in case you want to look for ways to get involved or even just so you can make sure you have your ribbons ready for wearing.

World AIDS Day is recognized on the 1st of December each year as way to continue drawing attention to this important issue worldwide. Perhaps I will again share my personal story a bit later, but for now i just wanted to get everyone thinking so here are a few links to more information and ways to get involved:

http://www.avert.org/worldaid.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_AIDS_Day

http://www.worldaidsday.org/

You can also get some really nice stuff here: www.until.org

• pronounced, Casey Jr. 1

Re: World AIDS Day 2005

thanks for reminding me !

• Happy Memories

Since tomorrow is the actual day I thought it was time to bump this reminder thread and perhaps share a bit of my personal story. Some of you have known me from other boards over the last couple of years and may be aware of part of my story, but many don't.

Having grown up during the time that much was still being learned about AIDS, I remember vivdly the stories of kids my own age being discriminated against at schools (and throughout their entire comunities) just because of ignorance. This was perhaps when I first began to feel strongly about the cause. Who knew it would eventually become much more personal.

As a teen it became very apparent that my father was quite ill. Somewhere in the back of my mind I always knew what it was, but never got that confirmation from him. It was with the help of my theater friends that I put all the peices together, and over the years I have participated in numerous benefit performances for the cause. My father fought hard to hold on because he wanted to see me graduate, but he didn't make it. He lost his battle in early December of my senior year. Perhaps that's why World AIDS Day holds such significance for me. It's not just the message behind it, but the fact that it coincides with the anniversary of his passing.

I've known a number of other people, mostly through the theater community, who were HIV positive. The most significant of those lost his battle just a couple of months ago. I had gotten to share the stage with him for the first time just as I was discovering the truth about my father's condition. I worked with him many times over the years and his work ethic not only as a performer, but also as a designer of sets and costumes reminded me very much of my father's dedication as an art teacher.

I'm greatful every day for the wonderful times these men shared with all who knew them, but I'm saddened that they aren't still around to share more of their extreme talents. So this is my tribute to Dad and to Roger and to everyone else. Your memories live on in the hearts of those who loved you.

Don't forget to show your spport tomorrow and wear your red ribbons.

• Incognito

Blog Entries

On a personal note, in memorial of my cousin who died back in 1994, and for my other cousin living with this awful disease (he's been poz since 1992).

• most magical vaca ever

Harry

12-1 is always a day I honor as well for those I've known that have lost their battle with this disease.

I always wear Red on 12-1 and wear a ribbon.
    ~~~~~~

• All you need is LOVE

I am great full for special days.

My cousin died of aids when she was 24.Her husband gave it to her and they both dies of the disease.She left behind 2 young girls that I did help take care of when they were younger.

• Minion

Thanks for sharing your story Xharryb, appreciate it. And I'm so sorry to hear of the losses you and everyone else has had to go through because of this horrible disease.

I'm also old enough to remember when it all first began, and the unexcusable discrimination and stigma that was attached to anyone with the disease back then. Thank goodness we've progressed and evolved from those misconceptions and for the most part, there's more of an understanding and compassion now. But sadly, stories like these below remind me that that's not the case in other places, just breaks my heart reading these:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20051110/...NlYwMlJVRPUCUl

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051130/ap_on_re_eu/russia_youngest_aids_victims

So sad that even 2 decades later, those battling a disease that does not discriminate still have to endure even further suffering by uncompassionate humans that do. That goes for this country as well where certain groups still believe those with the disease got what they deserved and don't deserve any help or compassion. Maybe one day when humans can put aside their prejudices and all work together, there may be hope for a concentrated effort to rid this disease once and for all.
    "I don't know why I did it, I don't know why I enjoyed it, and I don't know why I'll do it again..."- Bart Simpson

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

Great thread, thanks for bringing it up! I too lost a special cousin back in 1988, just before his 30th birthday. Even after all these years, it still hurts for a lot of reasons. Way to many closed minds in the world....

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

• Happy Memories

Here's a story on film MTV put together for today: http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20051201/film_nm/aids_mtv_film_dc

• most magical vaca ever

All my posts will be in red today....
    ~~~~~~

• Minion

Here's a more uplifting story coming out of Russia, where they will hold a poz beauty contest today!

http://www.interfax.com/3/108821/news.aspx

Great idea to bring awareness and understanding!
    "I don't know why I did it, I don't know why I enjoyed it, and I don't know why I'll do it again..."- Bart Simpson