• NEVER to Old To Fly...

Blog Entries

Sad Anniversary Approaches- John Lennon

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10115403/site/newsweek/

Even 25 years later, the details of his death come rushing back, like a flock of dark birds. It is early December in Manhattan. Shortly before 11 p.m. He's just turned 40, and recording albums for the first time in five years. He and his wife are returning from the studio. He insisted on going home without eating because he wants to see Sean, their 5-year-old boy, before bed. He steps out of the limousine, and someone calls out to him. People have been calling out to him since he was very young. Suddenly he is stumbling through the Gothic Dakota building's entranceway, and struggling up the steps to the doorman's desk. He is trailing blood. He is gasping, "I'm shot!" The doorman rushes out, sees that the killer has dropped his gun and kicks it away. Then the doorman starts crying. He turns to the killer. "Do you know what you just did?" Of course he does: "I just shot John Lennon."
    I was 15 and remember it so clearly. Just that day I had once again listened to "Double Fantasy" for the gazillionth time. I remember just being so sad and wondering, Why?

HE was a major reason for me leaving Catholic School. Jan '81 we were asked to write a pper for english class on someone we admired. I chose John Lennon. I remeber getting the paper back with a HUGE "F" scrawled across the front page, and the words "Inappropriate Content" When I went to the teacher to ask why, she said, the world was a better place with that 'communist' dead. The Good Sister asked me for a rewrite of a better role model, perhaps "The Pope"? I tuned in the same paper. She threatened to place me in remedial English, I was in Public school a week later.

My first introduction to censorship.
    -----------------------------------------------
    DISNEYLAND: Greatest Man-Made Place On Earth

YOSEMITE NATIONAL PARK: Greatest *GOD-Made Place On Earth

• I'm your huckleberry.

Re: Sad Anniversary Approaches- John Lennon

While I don't remember the actual event (I was only 5 at the time) I do remember my mom crying hysterically. It really impacted me.

Three years ago when I was on my first business trip to New York, I happened to be walking with a co-worker along Central Park West. We passed by the Dakota Apartments where John was murdered. I took a lot of pictures of the famous arch and gateway. As I was taking the pictures, Yoko herself walked out the gate! I gasped, covered my mouth with shock and started to cry (silly I know, but I'm a huge Beatles fan). Yoko smiled at me and said quietly, "Thank you" and got into her car.

It was one of the most exciting moments of my life.

Quote Originally Posted by Senator David Wu (D-OR)
    Don't let faux-klingons send real Americans to war!

Quote Originally Posted by TheHousingBubbleBlog
    Everyone says that the U.S. doesnít make anything anymore, but thatís not exactly true. Weíre the world leader in the manufacturing of bull****.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

I was only 6 but I remember. I really didn't know who he was at the time because my mom wasn't a Beatles fan (she likes Elvis). But I knew it was someone very important in music. So sad. 40 is way too young. If that creep Chapman ever get parole you bet your azz someone is going to get their revenge one way or another.

Did anyone watch the special on CBS the other night? I was going to set my DVR to record it but forgot. Too bad because I heard it was pretty good (also heard the voiceover guy who was basically "counting down" to Lennon's death was annoying).

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Still heartbreaking
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

I remember the news very clearly. I was about 22, and my husband and I had just moved into a little two bedroom house. He was working evening shift, and I was home alone doing something and listening to the radio. I remember sitting there alone, crying, not believing it was real. It was such a shock to think that someone could even conceive of doing something so horrible to such a peaceful, gentle person.

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

• NEVER to Old To Fly...

Blog Entries

RIP John.

Peace.
    -----------------------------------------------
    DISNEYLAND: Greatest Man-Made Place On Earth

YOSEMITE NATIONAL PARK: Greatest *GOD-Made Place On Earth