Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• I like Cheese...

Quote Originally Posted by MegarooFifi
    This is why I love my dad. When I got my license (just after I had passed) and I was itching to drive home, he handed me the keys and said "You just remember, you are driving a 4k lb hunk of metal. When you are going 50 miles an hour, you are hurling a 4k lb hunk of metal 50 miles an hour, which makes it damn easy to hurt someone." I had visions of little children running out in front of the car and also of me hitting baby animals with this huge fast hunk of metal. Good way to put the fear of God into a 16 year old girl.

He's also the reason I'm a damn good driver in the snow. The first time it snowed after I got my license, my dad drove me into a rural area, where I couldn't do that much damage (think FARGO! ). He proceeded to tell me to hit the brakes (to put myself into a spin) and then told me to get myself out of it, since he had just explained how. It took me a couple tries, but I soon got the hang of it. The next winter, he had to teach my boyfriend (now husband) the same way since he didn't want me driving with some young punk in the snow. Luckily, they were both good sports about it.

Myself, I'm not a fan of talking on cell phones in the car, I think it's too dangerous and I refuse to do it (I'll safely pull over if I have to). However, I'm the same way with other distractions - I don't eat or drink while I'm driving and I don't change the station/cd unless I'm at a stoplight. And don't get me started on the woman I see doing her makeup on the way to work every morning. It's ridiculous. Both hands on the steering wheel (or gear shift) and pay attention. I didn't think this was a hard concept, but apparently it is!
    That's how I learned to drive - In a wet parking lot losing control and recovering. I used to go to the high school parking lot in my grandma's buick after a snow and do donuts. It was fun, and it taught me what an out of control car felt like, and I learned what to do about it.

I think most folks could benefit from a trip to Bondurant Driving School: http://www.bondurant.com/pages/home.html

• Senior Minion

When I was in Holland last Year,My cousins said the Police over there will site you for taking your hands off the steering wheel, also hands free phones of any kind are not allowed. Sounds like a great Idea!!!
    1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Im sure you guys know or have heard of this but there are several counties here (in CA) that have laws against driving and being on the cell phone. Im not sure which counties though.

Im guilty of pretty much everything though. Cellphone, eating, talking to other people in the car, watching my kids in the rear view.

bad bad tiggeriffic.
    Remain Seated Please..... :o

• My Children's Father

Quote Originally Posted by Tiggeriffic
    Im sure you guys know or have heard of this but there are several counties here (in CA) that have laws against driving and being on the cell phone. Im not sure which counties though.

Im guilty of pretty much everything though. Cellphone, eating, talking to other people in the car, watching my kids in the rear view.

bad bad tiggeriffic.

You're not alone, Tiggeriffic. Been there, done that, narrowly avoided accidents .... mea culpa! Bad Panda! Bad Bad Panda
    "She's taking everything. She's taking the house, she's taking the kid, she's taking the dog. IT'S NOT EVEN HER DOG. IT'S MY DOG! SHE'S TAKING . . . MY DOG!"
    - Ron Livingston, "Band of Brothers"

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Gumball Rally Volunteer!

I agree with all of this - it's hard enough to drive here, especially in the LA area, without the distractions of eating, or yakking on the phone, or putting on makeup. I've seen people reading the damned newspaper while driving!

Now, I'm not saying that I am the greatest driver in the world, but I've taken defensive driving classes (in the Army) and I also am probably one of the few who still uses turn signals to change lanes. Yes, I use a cell phone sometimes when I am driving. I recently got a new phone with a bluetooth headset so I can concentrate more on the road if I need to use the phone. For the most part I usually don't use it when I'm on the road.

A lot of the problem is that people drive way too fast for road conditions and are in too much of a hurry or are impatient to get to where they are going.

Also - if you miss your exit, don't cut across 4 lanes of traffic to try to catch it. Just get to the next one and go around. Sheesh.
    Happy Anniversary, MiceChat!

• I Hug My Tapirs

I can't stand it when people are talking on cell phones when driving. Especially here in SoCal, where drivers are fairly agressive. You need to be alert, and as much as you think you are alert when you're on the phone, my personal experience with drivers on cell phones tells me otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Whatever
    How many times have you been driving down the freeway and end up behind someone going 50 in the #1 lane they are on their cell? How many times have you almost be sideswiped by some nimrod drifting lanes and yacking on a cell?
    It's funny you should mention that... cause both of those exact same things happened to me within the last hour. And I was only on the road for a grand total of 15 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Moonliner
    If cell phones are really that big of an issue (and they are not) then levy large fines and/or jail for anyone using one that causes an accident and leave the rest of us alone.
    While I agree that more stringent punishments are needed for people who cause accidents due to distractions, I think the problem with your solution is that it does not attack the cause of the problem, only the consequences. How many people out there are going to say "Oh, I'm not going to get that distracted by talking on the phone," and end up in an accident anyways? It doesn't do much to solve the problem in the first place, it only punishes people.

Quote Originally Posted by Moonliner
    I would also agree with the more stringent requirements for getting a license in the first place.
    Wholeheartedly agree with you there. Much more stringent requirements.

Quote Originally Posted by Demigod
    Also - if you miss your exit, don't cut across 4 lanes of traffic to try to catch it. Just get to the next one and go around. Sheesh.
    Yes! Yes, yes, yes. If you miss your exit, you lose. Take the next one. Do not cut across traffic, and do not stop and back up!! I kid you not, I saw someone do that just the other day.
    "I don't need intelligent drugs because I don't know what they are. But I will put anything into my mouth that is given to me, whether it's supposed to go there or not. Because... I'm different."

• Santa Barbara, CA

What does this have to do with Disney?
    "As usual he's taken over the coolest spot in the house"- Father re: Orville 1963

[FONT=Arial Narrow]

• I Hug My Tapirs

Nothing - that's why it's in the Lounge.
    "I don't need intelligent drugs because I don't know what they are. But I will put anything into my mouth that is given to me, whether it's supposed to go there or not. Because... I'm different."

I do have a headset that I use when on the road. I've set it to answer automatically so I don't have to fumble with it.
    The New York law regarding cell phone usage only prohibits cell phone users without a viable handsfree option.
    I think that in addition to regulation, people should be encouraged to persue other, safer ways of conversing while on the road.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12