Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Banned User

Drive Now. Talk Later

Drivers on Phones:
    Are twice as likely to miss a traffic signal
    Thier reaction time is slower to the signals they do detect
    Their risk of causing a crash increases by 400%
    This amount of risk is the same as if the driver were driving legally intoxicated
    Using hands free equipment does not improve driver performance. It is the phone conversation that distracts!
    More Here

• Quality not quantity

Life is not safe.

You cannot make it safe.

It will never be safe

Learn to deal with risk and stop trying to hide your head in the sand.

• I like Cheese...

This is becoming scary. How many times have you been driving down the freeway and end up behind someone going 50 in the #1 lane they are on their cell? How many times have you almost be sideswiped by some nimrod drifting lanes and yacking on a cell? Me personal favorite is the mom in the SUV with 2 screaming kids yacking on a cell and drinking a latte: She drifts into my lane causing me to take evasive action. I honk to get her attention. she flips me off cause I honked at her.

<STEPS ON TO SOAP BOX>
    My proposal is this. Make the driving test way more comprehensive than it is now. it is a joke today. most drivers have no concept of things like inertia until they find out the hard way. How many of you have heard "if you are in a skid, steer in to it" ? Probably a lot. How many of you have actually practiced it? Close to zero. How are you supposed to apply something like this in a panic situation if you have never done it before, and don't know what it feels like? Now try it while talking on a cell phone.

I'm not one usually one for immitating Europeans, but the Germans have it right when it comes to this. Serious training, and they take everyday driving seriously. In Germany you can get a seriously large ticket for using a cell phone while driving, or even gesturing to another driver. Many of their freeways have no speed limit, yet they have lower fatality rates than the US. They drive faster, but have less accidents. How can this be?

Sometimes the mentality of the general public drives me nuts. When the average driver is more interested in controlling the volume of XM than actually learning how to really DRIVE their car, there is a big problem.

If most people had to pass a comprehensive test that actually tested real driving and survival skills, this I think the cell phone problem, and many other problems, would be diminished. Until then, I say ban talking on anything other than a hands free voice activated phone, and make the penalty for violation substantial.

I can hear many saying "but I don't have a problem driving and talking." Uh-huh. And your sh** doesn't stink either.
    </STEPS ON TO SOAP BOX>

My .02.

Have a nice day

• e komo mai

I have been rear-ended by someone on their cell phone. It isn't fun. I saw it coming too, in the rearview mirror, a guy looking down to dial while I was stopped at a red light on Lankershim in LA. Not fun. Tweaked my neck pretty good.

• I like Cheese...

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini Cricket
    I have been rear-ended by someone on their cell phone. It isn't fun. I saw it coming too, in the rearview mirror, a guy looking down to dial while I was stopped at a red light on Lankershim in LA. Not fun. Tweaked my neck pretty good.
    http://www.personalinjurylawyer.com/...InjuryAttorney

This happend to me too, but the woman in back of me (and hit me) wasn't the one on the cell. It was the woman in front of me that almost missed her turn and slammed on her brakes... I missed her by a couple of feet. The 1 second where you hear the screaching tires and see the car sliding into you in your rear view mirror seems like 5 minutes...

• Quality not quantity

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini Cricket
    I feel for you, but let's face it rear-enders pre-date cell phones by a good bit. You are always going to have 5% of the population acting like total morons. You cannot legislate them into not being morons. I'm sick of having society over react to this type of thing. By this logic we better ban car radios, drinks, pretty girls (not in the car), etc. They have all been cited by poor drivers as the reason for a crash. If cell phones are really that big of an issue (and they are not) then levy large fines and/or jail for anyone using one that causes an accident and leave the rest of us alone. I would also agree with the more stringent requirements for getting a license in the first place.

• It's all nonsense

Contrary to popular belief, I've read that cell phones aren't the cause of most accidents. I believe the top reasons are being under the influence, talking to other people in the car, and eating while driving. don't quote me on this though.

• It's all nonsense

Quote Originally Posted by Moonliner
    I feel for you, but let's face it rear-enders pre-date cell phones by a good bit.
    Our society is so quick to blame other things for their mistakes.

• I like Cheese...

I feel for you, but let's face it rear-enders pre-date cell phones by a good bit. You are always going to have 5% of the population acting like total morons. You cannot legislate them into not being morons. I'm sick of having society over react to this type of thing. By this logic we better ban car radios, drinks, pretty girls (not in the car), etc. They have all been cited by poor drivers as the reason for a crash. If cell phones are really that big of an issue (and they are not) then levy large fines and/or jail for anyone using one that causes an accident and leave the rest of us alone. I would also agree with the more stringent requirements for getting a license in the first place.
    True to a point. The problem in this country is that we are too lenient (sp?) on people who screw up. Caught DUI? A fine and a slap on the wrist. Should be 3 months in jail for your first offense and no license for 2 years. 2nd offense? lose your license for good.

I agree that cell phones are not the actual problem and that distraction is. But I have enough personal ancidotal evidence to prove to me they should be banned. Perhaps a test for a class of license that allows you to talk and drive if you prove that you are capable of it? I personally like this idea.

Do we need a new law for this? No. It is already illegal to eat, listen to headphones, or do anything that distracts you while driving. If we made the fines hefty enough, then the local PDs would have a revenue incintive to enforce the laws already in existance. Everybody wins.

There are a lot of folks driving that, frankly, shouldn't be: even stone cold sober with zero distractions.

Quote Originally Posted by The Mad Hatter
    Our society is so quick to blame other things for their mistakes.
    True. However, most people cannot truly multitask, and driving a 3000 Lb. (or more) piece of equipment is not the time to try. This applies to anything that requires attention. Just this past weekend I saw a woman driving in heavy traffic (moving pretty quickly) applying makeup with both hands looking at herself in a mirror while moving. not smart. She was doing a pretty good job of it, but if someone had decided to move into her lane she probably would have hit them cause there is no wah she could have seen it and reacted in time with both hands off the wheel and a mirror in her face.

The egos of people never fails to amaze. Most people think "well, most people can't do this, but I'm good at it". right. Show me the emperical evidence that you (the royal you) can do this safetly I'll say game on. Until then, shut up and drive.
    Last edited by Whatever; 03-09-2005 at 08:32 AM.

• Quality not quantity

Quote Originally Posted by Whatever
    Many of their freeways have no speed limit, yet they have lower fatality rates than the US. They drive faster, but have less accidents. How can this be?
    Easy: Bad Statistics.

US average annual fatalities: 13,713
    German average annual fatalities 7,792

Germany Population: ~90 Million
    US Population: ~290 Million

The US has 3 times the population and less than twice as many fatalities.

Add in that the US has 756 cars per thousand people to Germany's 516 per thousand and the fact that we have a boat load more miles of road and I think the US rates pretty damn good.
    Last edited by Moonliner; 03-09-2005 at 08:32 AM.

• I like Cheese...

Easy: Bad Statistics.

US average annual fatalities: 13,713
    German average annual fatalities 7,792

Germany Population: ~90 Million
    US Population: ~290 Million

The US has 3 times the population and less than twice as many fatalities.

Add in that the US has 756 cars per thousand people to Germany's 516 per thousand and the fact that we have a boat load more miles of road and I think the US rates pretty damn good.
    Not sure where you got those numbers but the average number of US fatalities for the 1990's was 41,000 per year. for 2002 the number was 43,005. I get my numbers here: http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/. My information on the fact that Germany has lower rates is from a show I saw on the History Channel. Could be wrong I suppose...

Excerpt from site: NHTSA has reported that
    43,005 people died in motor
    vehicle crashes in 2002 and that
    motor vehicle traffic crashes were the
    8th-leading cause of death among all
    ages that year.But broken down by age,
    crashes were the No. 1 cause of death for
    every age from 3 through 33.

• It's all nonsense

True. However, most people cannot truly multitask, and driving a 3000 Lb. (or more) piece of equipment is not the time to try. This applies to anything that requires attention. Just this past weekend I saw a woman driving in heavy traffic (moving pretty quickly) applying makeup with both hands looking at herself in a mirror while moving. not smart.
    I agree completely. But you cannot blame the cell phone, or the makeup, or the food. These laws that make us use hands-free devices and such do nothing but inconvenience us that are responsible while driving.

• I like Cheese...

Quote Originally Posted by The Mad Hatter
    I agree completely. But you cannot blame the cell phone, or the makeup, or the food. These laws that make us use hands-free devices and such do nothing but inconvenience us that are responsible while driving.
    I blame the person. The point I'm trying to make is that people think they can multitask and be responsible, when in reality they can't. I'm generally for live and let live, but in this case I think you should have to prove you can do this successfully before you are allowed to do it.

• Banned User

Great discussion everyone. What really drives me crazy is not only the talking and driving but the fact that people cant do ANYTHING without being on the dang phone.

Example when people come into our store. they cant put the phone down for 1 min long enough to let me check to movie out to them, take their money and make change, and tell them when it's due back.

Then without fail, a few days later they call us up and ask "When are my movies due back?" Well moron, if you would have gotten off that dang phone for a min you would have heard me tell you.

As for the question, "Whatís the difference in talking on the phone or talking to people in the car, or a crying baby?"

Dateline did a thing a few years ago. They had a camera in this woman's car (this is not aginst women) and she had her child, not a baby, in the back seat. They counted that she took her eyes off the road 65 times within a 5 min time frame and at one time she spent 15 seconds straight looking into the rearview mirror talking to her child.

ALOT can happen in 15 seconds. Someone could stop short, a child could run out in front of you, and animal, ect. The point is not which is worse, talking on the phone, or not. the point is KEEP YOUR EYES ON THE ROAD

Hands free?? Well, they do help a little, IMO. They remove the factor of the driver having to hold the phone, so they can keep both hands on the wheel. But for some reason people seem to be more distracted talking to someone on a phone then in person.

Try it once. Just sit back and watch people while they are walking around a store, like Wal-Mart for example, Watch the people that are talking to someone next to them while pushing their cart around. they are more alert, and know what their looking for, ect. Now watch the person on the cell phone. They spend forever looking for an item thatís right in front of them, they push their cart slow and almost run into people.

So there is, for some reason, a difference in talking to someone in person, and on the phone.

• Back home :-(

How many of you have heard "if you are in a skid, steer in to it" ? Probably a lot. How many of you have actually practiced it? Close to zero. How are you supposed to apply something like this in a panic situation if you have never done it before, and don't know what it feels like?
    This is why I love my dad. When I got my license (just after I had passed) and I was itching to drive home, he handed me the keys and said "You just remember, you are driving a 4k lb hunk of metal. When you are going 50 miles an hour, you are hurling a 4k lb hunk of metal 50 miles an hour, which makes it damn easy to hurt someone." I had visions of little children running out in front of the car and also of me hitting baby animals with this huge fast hunk of metal. Good way to put the fear of God into a 16 year old girl.

He's also the reason I'm a damn good driver in the snow. The first time it snowed after I got my license, my dad drove me into a rural area, where I couldn't do that much damage (think FARGO! ). He proceeded to tell me to hit the brakes (to put myself into a spin) and then told me to get myself out of it, since he had just explained how. It took me a couple tries, but I soon got the hang of it. The next winter, he had to teach my boyfriend (now husband) the same way since he didn't want me driving with some young punk in the snow. Luckily, they were both good sports about it.

Myself, I'm not a fan of talking on cell phones in the car, I think it's too dangerous and I refuse to do it (I'll safely pull over if I have to). However, I'm the same way with other distractions - I don't eat or drink while I'm driving and I don't change the station/cd unless I'm at a stoplight. And don't get me started on the woman I see doing her makeup on the way to work every morning. It's ridiculous. Both hands on the steering wheel (or gear shift) and pay attention. I didn't think this was a hard concept, but apparently it is!
    Last edited by MegarooFifi; 03-09-2005 at 03:28 PM. Reason: Because I can't spell when I type fast!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast