Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

• Waiting for the stork

Re: parental rights/required reading list

To defend Pixywingz...
    as she has already stated, she is NOT in favor of banning books and she did not bring up that topic,

I DID! and No I am not encouraging banning books, in fact I am ademently against it! I only mentioned it earlier because I found it amusing and though pixywingz might as well given the situation.

I dont think anyone here is recomending banning books, I frankly think it's a stupid ignorant practice, but the lists are very laughable IMO.

and as I said earlier, heck I have read most of the books on the list...

I'm sorry if I caused hurt feelings, or misunderstandings, that was not my intent...I was hoping you all would see the humor that I saw in the lists.
    procrastibating

• pixie cutie

The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood is a brillant book.
    It regard the role of mothers in the future.

Why would this book be banned?

• "Always On The Move..."

Ok... but perhaps a bit more information can help in the frustrating world of teaching.

Pixywings... you need to check and see if your school is now "taken over by the state." If the AP's weren't high enough. (Being the Average Percentage Scores on the CAT and STAR yearly testing) the state will come in and take over your childs school. Unfortunately the state has required (actually the Fed Gov) has required that by 2013 EVERY child MUST receive a 100% for that school to continue to not be under Gov control. (which means that my Special Ed kids..some of whom have an IQ of 50 or below...100 being average,, must also score 100% on the tests.)

Such is No Child Left Behind. A high number of CA schools are already being run by the State. Check your school, if this is the case, that could be the reason for the No Opt-Out policy. There is no choice. When the state comes in... the teachers and Admin are told what to teach, from what materials and all grades are on exactly the same page, at the same time, every day. There is no freedom for teaching moments, no choice in what books are or are not read, no stopping and continuing a lesson if the students "don't get it." If the state says that all 3rd graders are to be studying page 24 of their anthologies at exactly 11:15 a.m. on Tuesday. THAT is what MUST happen. At its worse, no recesses, just enough time for bathroom breaks. PE, music and art are out, it is strictly math, language arts, and reading. The burn out for teachers and students both is horrifying under this "enlightened" way of running a school

Unbelivably structured, down to every literal minute being accounted for. That could be the case here. If not, again, go to your Admin and Teachers, explain your beliefs and ask what can be subsituted to convey the THEME that is being taught. Last advice, home schooling..it is becoming more and more popular.

So first, find out whats going on with the school. Second, once you have that info. there are ways to approach it. Good luck.

AlohaStitch

• Disney Memory Maker

I'm just curious, what's objectional in Catcher in the Rye. I've never read it because the year it was on the required reading list, my teacher decided to go with To Kill a Mockingbird instead (which, btw, is one of my favorite books). But like someone else said earlier, the person will either know about the objectional matter before reading the book, or will eventually encounter it later.

-Michael
    “You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.” - Walt Disney

• horsin' around!

thanks tink!!! i adore you! :-)
    this has become such an interesting topic! i love it!
    Aloha...I understand what you're saying...i'm wondering myself how our school fits in to that. I know we have quite a unique program at our h.s. because we've got a team of staff that regularily travels the country talking about the program here. Its quite a unique program ..its funny, it is a very small high school, about 400 students, it has a high drop out rate..(actually, they just transfer to the next local school) BUT 98% of the graduating seniors go to college. We did get the state "distinguished school" recognition...whatever that means... but all of this has given me to make a list of many things to look into..just for my own curiosity!
    you all are so awsome!

• MiceChat Moderator
    • I'm back! Sorta...

Quote Originally Posted by askmike1
    I'm just curious, what's objectional in Catcher in the Rye. I've never read it because the year it was on the required reading list, my teacher decided to go with To Kill a Mockingbird instead (which, btw, is one of my favorite books). But like someone else said earlier, the person will either know about the objectional matter before reading the book, or will eventually encounter it later.

-Michael
    Swearing and the nervous breakdown of an out-of-touch protagonist makes many parents nervous. It is, however, very well written and I've used that as a selling point to kids who won't read. For some reason, when I told my students it was a banned book-they took to it right away.

Go figure.

It's a very good book in it's analysis of the protagonist. To Kill a Mockingbird is also very well written. You might want to see "Capote,"which talks about the writing of another great book [considered the first 'true crime novel'] "In Cold Blood." In that movie, not only do you have the telling of a novel's creation--Harper Lee is Capote's friend and confidant. And as the story progresses, her little book, "To Kill a Mockingbird," gets published. So you see her going through all of the rigamarole of that.

Peace out and keep reading-
    Roo
    husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend

• Man O Lantern

Quote Originally Posted by Tink Wink
    The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood is a brillant book.
    It regard the role of mothers in the future.

Why would this book be banned?
    The Handmaid's Tale and Bridge to Terabithia remain my top two favorite books of all-time. It was amusing to see them both on the Banned list! My fourth grade teacher gave me Terabithia and I passed it onto my daughter last year. When she finished reading it, we laid down together on the couch and bawled ourselves raw. It's such a beautiful book. Handmaid's Tale is an incredible piece of fiction. I call myself Ofkelly all the time. If that's on the list, I expect The Giver to soon follow!

I love Catcher in the Rye and To Kill a Mockingbird. Classics both.

• My cuties!

Oh, I loved The Giver!!! Some parents at the school I taught at tried to get it taken out of the library; no kid had ever checked it out so they ended up giving up the fight.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234