Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Down Under without Nemo..

Exclamation Why Lashbear Disappeared

Inspired by the comments about overweight folks on the Riding Crop thread at the Lounge Of Tomorrow, I thought that now was a good time to tell you all why I disappeared for so long. This post is a duplicate of the one on the Lounge Of Tomorrow if you've already read it there.

On the 15th of May this year, I had a Heart Attack at work (or as they said, an Acute Myocardial Infarction).

I love that word. Infarction. It sounds rude.

My Right Coronary Artery was completely blocked, and I thought I was having really bad heartburn - it felt like hot coals under my chest. luckily the first aid officer at work recognised the other symptoms (grey colour, sweating etc) and called the ambulance.

I had symptoms for a couple days beforehand - everytime I had to walk uphill etc I would get this "Heartburn" but rest would usually fix it.

At the hospital they diagnosed me, and sent me by ambulance to the Royal North Shore hospital in North Sydney, where they put a long (5-6 foot) catheter into my groin and guided it to my heart, where they performed a balloon angioplasty to open the blockage and then inserted a Stent (a little wire cage to hold the artery open in future). I was recuperated, and sent home.

After a 6 week period without work, and no sick leave left (*Ouch* can you spell "Rent Deficiency") I returned to work.

My doctor has told me that I need to go to the gym, and they have put me on a weight-loss and cardio rehab programme whereby I go to the gym 4-5 times a week, alternating cardio and weights, and (surprise, surprise) I am actually losing weight.

I have given up Corn Dogs.

I'm not exercising because I am unhappy with my weight, or anyone elses perception of me - but rather that, if I don't lose weight, I am going to die. Pure and simple. Lose weight or die of another (possibly fatal this time) heart attack.

The only reason that I didn't die from the first one was that I had given up smoking in 2000 - If I had still been a smoker, then *Poof* Game Over.

I just wanted to let you all know, because I care a real lot about my "Disney Family" and reading the threads about weight issues, then folks on both boards losing their cherished pets made me realise that I don't want to lose any of my dear friends, much as you all might have lost me, had fate had not been as kind.

Therefore, after my Russian-Roulette-Like encounter with Mortality, I would like to offer the following plea from the bottom of my heart:

[Preachy Mode]Please, try to be as kind to your body as you can, try to move more each day, watch what you eat (especially Saturated Fat & Cholesterol), and quit those smokes !! I have lost 2.5 Kilos (about 5 1/2 pounds) of body fat since starting at the gym in October. My clothes are loose and I'm feeling so much better. (And the Gym has become really Fun - I look forward to it now)[/Preachy Mode]

I give the above advice with all the love I have - Cherish your friends on this and other boards, because you never know how long you really have with them.

....Now the next thread to start is the "Healthy Eating" thread.

Love to all of you,
    Robert.
    DLR California - 1991, 1999, 2002, 2007, 2009
    DLR Florida - 2002, 2007
    DLR Tokyo - 2005
    DLR Paris - 2011
    DLR Hong Kong -2011
    DLR Beijing -TBA

• And they call me Mad!

Blog Entries

Re: Why Lashbear Disappeared

Great to see you back! And Glad to hear your better!
    What an idiot....

Yeah, I do that Twitter thing.

• Pucker Up, Sweetie!

Oh Rob! That's horrid! I'm so glad your better! What a scary ordeal for you! You were missed!!!!!!

Now I feel guilty for the cinnamon roll and chili I had for dinner!

But we just bought a house with three stories...and I'm forever forgetting where I've put things...I think I've lost 3 pounds just running up and down stairs!

Glad your back and take care of your self!!!!!!!!!

<<<<<<<<<<<Hugs!>>>>>>>>>>

Dena
    Us girls, we're so magical.
    Soft skin, red lips, so kissable.
    Hard to resist, so touchable.
    Too good to deny it.
    Ain't no big deal, it's innocent.

• no flash photography...

I'm so happy to hear your better now and exercising so you'll be around for a lot longer now./..

• Senior Minion

Great to have you back and please take care!! I'm glad you still have your great sense of humor.
    1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

• Earth Intruder

holy crap!!! Glad to hear you're doing much much better!!! Come visit us in California and we'll give you a workout!!!
    I am grateful... grapefruit! ~ Bjork (upon winning Best International Female Artist at the BRIT Awards)

Founding Member of the BA!

• loves a silver lining

Blog Entries

OMG Rob!!
    I'm so glad that you are okay
    COngratulations on the weight loss and keep taking care of yourself. We miss ya!
    Tina

Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

• Minion

Glad you're back and getting healthy!

My doctor put me on an exercise program because heart disease runs in my family (lost my father when I was 5 and almost lost my brother a few years back) and I've learned to really enjoy my gym time. I've always been a skinny guy and my new-found strength and endurance has been a welcome change in my life.

Please stay on your current path so you can stay with us. OK?

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Is HOME.

Wow- talk about a wake up call for us all! Thank you for sharing your story and so glad to see you back!
    “In a world filled with hate, we must still dare to hope. In a world filled with anger, we must still dare to comfort. In a world filled with despair, we must still dare to dream. And in a world filled with distrust, we must still dare to believe.” -Michael Jackson

• Original Mice-Chatter

Rob- that makes your Thanksgiving greeting to me all the more special. I am very thankful for you- and to have you back, and to have you healthy.

Much love dear heart

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

Thanks for your testimony, Mr. Bear. Today? Large bucket of movie popcorn with my daughter and two cheeseburger value meal at McDonalds. My heart is in a bad way, and you just gave me more incentive to get off my big fat butt and do something about it.

Cheers!

• rainy day girl

Blog Entries

Lashbear, we're glad you didn't disappear forever. Welcome back.
    Looking for the truth about giraffes? http://www.menacinggiraffes.blogspot.com/

• Still lost in Neverland

Rob, my dear freind from Down Under,

Now I know where you have been and why I wasn't getting any e-mails. Listen buddy, I missed you a lot and am so glad that you are back. I am walking more and eating healthy for health reason as well so we can do this together lont distance. I missed you and hope to hear from you soon.

Take care.
    Peter Pan Forever!!! I Will Never Grow Up.

Thank You Poisonedapples

Left the church, but not the parishioners.

Welcome back Lashbear!!

And, thank you for sharing your story. This comes on a day that I just lost a friend to a heart attack, so between that and your advice, my ears are wide open, as well as my mind. Thanks for that.

• Again! Again! Again!

Rob, I'm so glad you are OK and that you're back with us!! Take care!!
    Founding member of the B.A. I LOVE US!!
    FratSor Sister-Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ
    I bring the magic!!!
    "If all my friends were to jump off a bridge, I wouldn't jump with them, I'd be at the bottom to catch them"
    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend DMother
    Girl bonding is just so necessary. It's just as important as "me" time. A good girl bonding session leaves you feeling so refreshed. I think of it as a NEED vs a want. There are just things that you need to talk to other women with. You may have the best relationship in the world with your husband, but there are just times you need your girlfriends. It makes for a healthier and happier you which makes everything else you do better.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast