• Greetings, Program!

I don't normally believe in karma, but......

....I got a piece of news within the last 48 hours that literally made me howl with joy. I took some time to let the initial excitement subside.

I'm a former member of the much-envied-but-often-misunderstood video game making industry. I say "often-misunderstood" because it's not all fun and games. There are many many politics to endure, and it gets bad enough dealing wtih suits without having to deal with colleagues that are suposed to be allies for all intents and purposes. If your team doesn't have a singular vision, your project will fail.

On one of my final projects, I felt that there was far too much tension between me - the 8-year veteran - and the young 20's spitfire that had more smarts than common sense. He was no dummy, but he didn't know every damn thing. He was just one reason why I decided it was time to go. I felt the project was heading straight into a brick wall, and I wasn't going to be there when the hammer fell down.

So, as time passes and the project is released long after I have moved on, I'm at a Ballbus...er - Blockbuster Video and take a peek inside the game manual to see my name in the credits. Nope. There was only the name of this kid whom built half the game while I built the other. Nice.....reeeeal nice. I rented the game to see if any of what I did remained and saw that much to my surprise my stuff was intact while stuff I remember the kid working on was missing....yet he got full credit for the work.

That was almost two years ago. Then, this tuesday night, a former co-worker at the same company sends me a link to a news story that was posted by several sources. Turns out this smart-guy thought he'd become some sort of Robin Hood and crack a bunch of copy protections on an untold number of games to make them available to anyone with a mouse.

The Justice Department busted him, and he apparently will be formally sentenced in July.

Let this be a lesson: Don't mess with Ortizmo. It's just bad karma, ya know?
    "The old man's gonna knock on the sky. Listen to the sound."

AP'er since 2004. Yup.....I'm one of THEM.

• Back home :-(

That reminds me of my favorite saying "Don't worry, karma will come back and bite them in the um, well, bum !"

• Greetings, Program!

Quote Originally Posted by MegarooFifi
    That reminds me of my favorite saying "Don't worry, karma will come back and bite them in the um, well, bum !"
    Well, like I said....not normally a believer, but a man can change.

• Banned User

You used to make video games... what company...and technicaly if you made a good chunk of the game.. they company should have given you credit... thought thats hard to do...

(* note to self: Never mess with Him*)

• My Children's Father

Don't know about karma, nor would I necessarily describe what happened to your former colleague as karma, but justice, comeuppance, and just desserts seem appropriate.

I think the penalties for hacking and that sort of thing should be at least as severe as that for the poor schlubb that steals $175 from the cash register at 7-11 (assuming he doesn't actually shoot anyone, of course).

Having said that, I'm off to shred all my personal do***ents and unplug my computer so as to be ... safe ...
    :o :o :o
    "She's taking everything. She's taking the house, she's taking the kid, she's taking the dog. IT'S NOT EVEN HER DOG. IT'S MY DOG! SHE'S TAKING . . . MY DOG!"
    - Ron Livingston, "Band of Brothers"

• Greetings, Program!

Quote Originally Posted by Giant Panda
    Don't know about karma, nor would I necessarily describe what happened to your former colleague as karma, but justice, comeuppance, and just desserts seem appropriate.
    I'm in complete agreement, but man it's just plain fun to imagine that forces finally aligned against this guy. He was a whiny, spoiled little pest with a very big ego. Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy.

I think the penalties for hacking and that sort of thing should be at least as severe as that for the poor schlubb that steals $175 from the cash register at 7-11 (assuming he doesn't actually shoot anyone, of course).
    I say the punishment should be in direct proportion to just how much of a JERK the perp is at the time. That being said....lock 'im up for at least a 20 year stretch to teach him a little humility.

(Yes, I'm just being a little wise-*** now - sorry for the profanity)

Having said that, I'm off to shred all my personal do***ents and unplug my computer so as to be ... safe ...
    :o :o :o
    Do***ent.

Okay speaking of profanity, that was a little test. What kinda weird filter was that??? I guess nothing here can be dockumented?

• Santa Barbara, CA

Quote Originally Posted by Ortizmo2000
    The Justice Department busted him, and he apparently will be formally sentenced in July.

Let this be a lesson: Don't mess with Ortizmo. It's just bad karma, ya know?

Good thing he wasn't being tried today in Altanta.. No one is THAT bad.
    "As usual he's taken over the coolest spot in the house"- Father re: Orville 1963

[FONT=Arial Narrow]

• 0 to 200 mph in 1 second!

Hmm, I've got several people on a karma list (ex-associates in an association, who've taken the psychological principle of "projection" to a level of refinement never before achieved)... can't wait to see what whoops them upside the head in the end.

• Race Car Driver

I believe in Karma.............

............ What goes around comes around...........

never be too smug.............
    Yes, it is fast....

No, you can't drive IT.

Drive it like it's stolen.

O_O

Um... wow... good for you then!

Soo, what was the game called?

• Miranda Lambert and Me!

^^^I would like to know that too, if you don't mind that is???^^^^
    Listen to me on the radio!

us101country.com Fridays- 9p-12m ET and Saturdays- 7p-10p ET

981thelegend.com Monday-Friday - 12m-6a ET

rock105.net Sundays - 10p-12m ET

You can also visit my DJ blog HERE!
    Also, I have a Myspace- CLICK HERE

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • June 3rd, 2011

Quote Originally Posted by figment1986
    You used to make video games... what company...and technicaly if you made a good chunk of the game.. they company should have given you credit... thought thats hard to do...

(* note to self: Never mess with Him*)
    Not necessarily. My Father Designed all the concepts for Cruella and Disney gave credit to the Animator and not my dad, even though they change not one thing from my dad's artwork. How's that for Karma. Screw over my dad and you get Eisner :devil: and now Iger :devil:
    PirateMunkee

Visit My Horror Designs Store!!!

• Greetings, Program!

Quote Originally Posted by ImaginEAR
    O_O

Um... wow... good for you then!

Soo, what was the game called?
    Well, I will go so far as to say it was a sci-fi franchise title. The dark half of my personality tells me to deprive as much attention as I can from it....out of pure spite. :devil:

It really is the last way I can 'flip the bird' so to speak to that part of my life.