• I'm not really here

Final Shuttle Launch Ever

Space Shuttle Atlantis will be the final shuttle to launch from Cape Canaveral.
    Launch time is 8:26am PST July 8th, 2011. The launch window extends for 10 minutes. Coverage will being several hours before hand on NASA TV [link] Coverage of pre-launch activities is already broadcasting.

Information about the mission can be found here: [link]

If you don't have time to watch the whole thing, allow yourself about 20 minutes and start watching at 8:15am PST. This will get you the final minutes before launch and the trip into orbit (about 8 minutes long). It is amazing to think about everything that has gone into making this sort of thing possible. This is the end of an era, an historic moment.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Infinitized!

Re: Final Shuttle Launch Ever

Thanks for setting up this thread mycroft16. I just made the move to Calgary and didn't have a chance to start-up a thread for the final mission, and wah, due to no internet yet yesterday, I missed the launch. Oh well, I'm sure there will be a launch highlights vid in the next few days. Will make sure I catch the landing live on the NASA website.

Feels good to be back on the boards though, after a hectic move.

• I'm not really here

Glad the move is over. There are some vids on YouTube of the launch. They held the launch at 31 seconds for 3 minutes because the beanie cap retraction lock light didn't come on. But they went through their procedure and launched. Even went through some cloud rain. Beautiful launch.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Infinitized!

The last shuttle/ISS undocking occured and Atlantis is scheduled for a Thursday landing.

• I'm not really here

Was a great undocking to watch. And the fly-around of the ISS. So beautiful.
    Just wish the landing wasn't so bloody middle of the night.

• Banned User

The final launch -

On July 10, 2011, space shuttle Atlantis performed the nine-minute Rendezvous Pitch Maneuver, or "backflip." With Commander Chris Ferguson at the helm, Atlantis rotated 360 degrees backward to enable space station crew members to take high resolution digital pictures of the shuttle's heat shield. -

Final docking with ISS -

Loading the storage bin of trash from the ISS -

Undocking from ISS -

This morning's landing at KSC in Florida (short version) -

This morning's landing at KSC in Florida (longer 30-minute version; hear the sonic booms @ 6:15) -

And what's next for the Space Program -

Last edited by Retrocool; 07-21-2011 at 03:18 AM.

I watched the landing, it wasnt bad. It was actually cool to see the runway lit up in the dark. They had to land so early in the morning becuase they didnt want the crews to be working in so much heat. It was already like 70 degrees at 6 in the mroning. Its sad to see the shuttle go but its time for newer and better spacecraft. Hopefully it wont take to long to get the Orion project back going.

• Infinitized!

Does anyone know if they did an ascent highlights video? I always like watching those, great shots choreographed to music.

• Banned User