Nerrrrrvous. Need advice from Disneyland locals.

As I'm entering my senior year of high school and anticipating my move to California (from Washington) in just one year, I think I might puke. I'm going to go to college there and audition to be a dancer at Disneyland while I work toward my teaching degree. I'M GOING TO BE ON MY OWN IN A NEW STATE :/

So, as I start to apply for colleges this year I was wondering if anyone had recommendations. Keep in mind 1) Location. I would like to not be on my own for the first time in the middle of the ghetto. 2) Tuition. I don't need the #1 ivy league school in the country, especially with the cost of out-of-state tuition.

Also, while I'm at it, any other advice about the area or dancing for Disneyland would be much appreciated!

Thanks, you all are wonderful.

• Minion

Re: Nerrrrrvous. Need advice from Disneyland locals.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuppence a Bag View Post
    As I'm entering my senior year of high school and anticipating my move to California (from Washington) in just one year, I think I might puke. I'm going to go to college there and audition to be a dancer at Disneyland while I work toward my teaching degree. I'M GOING TO BE ON MY OWN IN A NEW STATE :/

So, as I start to apply for colleges this year I was wondering if anyone had recommendations. Keep in mind 1) Location. I would like to not be on my own for the first time in the middle of the ghetto. 2) Tuition. I don't need the #1 ivy league school in the country, especially with the cost of out-of-state tuition.

Also, while I'm at it, any other advice about the area or dancing for Disneyland would be much appreciated!

Thanks, you all are wonderful.
    In the greater LA area, there are a ton of colleges.

These are just a few off the top of my head, all within a 30 minute drive to Disneyland:

Cal State Long Beach
    UC Irvine
    Cal State Fullerton
    UCLA
    Chapman University
    Biola University
    Vanguard University
    Azuza Pacific
    Cal State LA

There are just a ton to choose from, especially since you are looking for your teaching credential.

But this is totally about Disneyland. The Face Character Auditions thread got to stay

• Banned User

1. If you don't want to stay "in the middle of the ghetto" while going to school and working at Disneyland, then just stay in Washington. Unless you have a huge bank account to fall back on, you won't be able to afford to live in any "upscale" area of SoCal.

2. Be prepared to share an apartment with one or more people.

3. Learn to speak Spanish. It'll make daily life run a little more smoothly.

4. As for location, I'd recommend somewhere in the South Bay - Hawthorne, Gardena, Carson, Norwalk, Torrance, San Pedro, or Long Beach. Pretty good location for commuting to Disneyland and also (theoretically) other jobs in SoCal, if for some reason Disneyland doesn't work out for you.

5. I'd also recommend attending Cal State Long Beach. Out of state tuition is still fairly reasonable (Kiplinger's Personal Finance named CSULB among its 100 Best Values in Public Colleges). They have a Department of Teacher Education, so it fits your desired field of study. Good location, not too far from Disneyland. Plus, Steven Spielberg went there.

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tuppence a Bag View Post
    But this is totally about Disneyland. The Face Character Auditions thread got to stay
    Not really. This is about what schools you want to go to in order for you to work at the park. The main topic of the post is about schools...not Disneyland. Relax. We're all one big family... board wise. Its still on a Disney website.

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

Focus on your education, work where you need to get the best for the future. Find the best school you can get into, everything else will fall into place. Don't sacrifice your future just to be a dancer at DLR.

Who knows you might one day be a "suit" for Disney rather then just a Dancer! You have plenty of time. Moving to a new state can be tough, but when I was your age I moved to a different country. . . BEST THING EVER.

Remember Tuition here in Cali is REALLY high right now, but with that said there are a lot of great community schools you can use as a jumping off point for USC, UC Irvine, etc.

Man you've got a great adventure coming your way! Good Luck!

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by John K View Post
    Who knows you might one day be a "suit" for Disney
    No need for personal insults here.

Thank you all so much! I feel much better now

30 minutes from UCLA to Anaheim ? Maybe.... at three in the morning!

USC is missing from the list. USC is closer to 30 minutes away!

• Functional & Decorative

Just be aware that being a dancer for Disney, especially female, where the competition is numerous, is not easy. And they often look for more than just dancing skills, you also have to have the correct "look" and height (for costuming reasons). The latter factors are almost bigger than the actual dance ability, as dancers in LA (again, especially female ones--it's a bit easier for male dancers) are sort of a dime a dozen. Not to scare you off, but just know it's not necessarily easy to get a job.
    Does anyone even bother with signatures anymore?

JesterMn pretty much covered it. We both lived that life many years ago
    My advice to you is spend your first 2 years in a JC such as Fullerton College or Irvine Valley College. This is NOT the time to amass huge student loan debt, trust me. Ask anyone. You'll need a roommate for sure to live in OC and live on Disneyland's salary - in 1992 I shared with 2 other people for a total of $680: $200, $200 and $280 were our respective rents and even that was fairly tight. You may want to take a restaurant server job as well as Disney, and that's IF you get in. It's true - it's not all about your talent, but the perfect look and also who you know.
    This is not meant to sound dark, just truthful. Good luck!
    Please consider the environment before printing useless emails

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by ravencroft View Post
    USC is missing from the list.
    I don't know about that. USC, while it's a terrific university, is pretty expensive (starting at $20k a year for an undergraduate, depending on the course of study; tuition is the same for both in-state and out-of-state students, since it's a private university). Tuppence clearly stated that tuition costs were important (I'm guessing he doesn't have deep pockets), so it was important to look for schools that weren't the most expensive. USC doesn't really qualify in that regard. UCLA is even more expensive, at least for out-of-state students. It's over $36k a year for an out-of-state student there. Chapman University is comparatively cheaper, especially for a private university (but not that much), and it's closer to Disneyland on top of it.

Compared to these three, Cal State Long Beach is a LOT less expensive, and it's still close to Disneyland, while also being within decent driving distance of various LA points of interest.

Don't forget to look at some of the private schools. Often they can have great financial aid and since you are from out of state, UC and Cal State schools won't be cheap. Look at: Pomona, Whittier, LaVerne, Pepperdine, and Redlands. Some may be a bit farther from Disneyland, but most are in good neighborhoods and away from the heavy LA traffic.